Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
GET GOONY!!

OK, I worked thie decal up using the instructions Joe provided. I made them all white as I really could not see any other color being used for eggs.... Does anyone remember if these decals were any other color?

Let me know what you think guys.

Ph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Hen Grenade sample SM.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  47.0 KB  

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Phred.................when I open your attachment I get a sheet that looks to be approximately 5x7..................is that the size of the decal sheet?

Joe
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
GET GOONY!!

Ho Joe,

In a word: No. The sample attached above had to be shrunk in order to fall within the attachment limits of the forum software.The reolution has been downgraded as well. The actual decals are very sharp, and will be printed full-sized based on the last set of plans you sent to me.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Very, very cool, Phred! Can't wait to see some of these old birds flying! I'll bet it's been a long time since anyone has seen one in the air. Now I'm really glad that I lost my folder of Estes decal sheets, because the search for them turned up the Hen Grenade plans. Luckily, they didn't have the patterns cut out. Kudos to you for jumping on this so quickly! You provide a great service! And while I'm throwing the kudos around, three cheers for Scott for starting up and maintaining this website...............it has done a tremendous service to the community of rocketry buffs, and especially all of the old timers like me and you!

Joe

PS................I have already started my Hen Grenade build!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Cool decal sheet ( and quick turnaround, too

I'm looking forward to the plans fo rthis one as well ( are they posted someplace 'off yorp' yet ? , no rush, since the que is overflowing now , just curious

of note: think it was Phred asking about tubing - ( might have to build mine with an old LOC 1.75" tube I have ) - however....

BMS does list a full length tube coupler for the C188 tube, coupler stock measures 1.796" od, which is closer than the 1.84" tubes.

~ AL

ps: anyone building one be sure to send pics !!!!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Al:

I have started my Hen Grenade build. Don't have a body tube yet, but I thought I'd get started on the nose cone which is made from paper using patterns supplied with the kit instructions. The plan is to get this thing smooth and as round as possible, then apply a layer of tissue paper using dope to seal it.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maria's Church Rosary 004.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  427.7 KB  
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 PM
GET GOONY!!

I ordered ST-18 tubes and couplers from SEMROC, so they should be here in... ummm about 10 minutes !

Seriously, I have wanted to build this ugly duckling ever since I learned of it.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

grrrr. I was looking at the tubes I have, and the drawing in the SAI catalog, and realized that sometime in the deep dark past, I cut off a length of the longer tube. Don't remember doing so, or what it would've been for.

So what I have is the payload tube, a tube coupler, and the main body tube, but only about 7" of it.

I also have a balsa transition for it. Don't have the calipers or any other measurement tool here with me, but it looks like the other end is 1.3" and the length is about 1.5".
Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
GET GOONY!!

I have been working on my Hen Grenade as well. I received my parts from SEMROC, and have built and glued in the engine mount, cut out and sanded two of the three fins, and fabricated the nosecone/payload compartment.

I am also covering the nose with tissue and dope. I figured I would go ahead and cover the entire rocket while I am at it, then add a coat of colored dope for that vintage look.

I will post some pics as soon as I have something worth looking at.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Phred.............I'm in no rush to get mine done since the launch season is pretty much finished up here for this year. I haven't even ordered my tubes from Semroc yet. I did manage to put a layer of tissue/dope on my nose cone yesterday. I sure am looking forward to seeing pictures of your build.

Joe

PS...............did you go ahead with the Semroc ST-18?