Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Master Modeler

Default Wal-Mart Responds

I sent an email to the Wal-Mart corporate office, yesterday I received a call from the assistant manager of my local Wal-Mart.

I was told that the store (local) would not be carrying Estes products anymore due to lack of sale in this area.

I asked about nation wide, I was also told that if sales aren't there, a product is dropped.

So,it depends upon local and sales, some areas better than others.

I was also told that there may be some items available for the holiday season, but, I would have to check next month.

Right now WM is resetting their stores for Halloween, Thabksgiving Day and Christmas.

I was also told that it's the consumer who dictates what WM will carry and not only should you speak to the manager of your local WM, but, also send an inquiry into corporate as well.

Then I was told that if you wanted something in quantity, you could have it special ordered.

I was told by a former VP at Estes not to contact WM, this was the wrong approach, the more requests that WM gets, the better chance that they will carry an item.

It's the demand that gets the supplies, only makes sence to me.

Post feedback here about your local WM so we can figure out where rockets are being sold and not being sold.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Craftsman

stupid Walmart,

it's hard to buy rockets at walmart when all they have is a supershot starter set..

hobby lobby stocks a >selection< of rockets and they sell plenty of them.

you gotta have something to sell, physicaly waiting on the shelf, before people can buy it.

if they want to sell rockets they need to >stock rockets< or else get out of the business.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Old Fogey

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNut
stupid Walmart,

it's hard to buy rockets at walmart when all they have is a supershot starter set..

you gotta have something to sell, physicaly waiting on the shelf, before people can buy it.

if they want to sell rockets they need to >stock rockets< or else get out of the business.

All the more reason to patronize your local, friendly habby shop---------
Or go back to the hobby's roots and buy by mail order.
Half the fun in the early days was waiting with anticipation for the postman to arrive. Not here today? Boy, I'm sure it will be here tomorrow!

Bill Simon
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Craftsman

Bill, I would give my right arm for a local hobby shop.
so the majority of my purchases are indeed online.

I am just a little discouraged at walmarts sales model..(you will buy what >we< decide to stock)
Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Bill, I would give my right arm for a local hobby shop.
so the majority of my purchases are indeed online.

I am just a little discouraged at walmarts sales model..(you will buy what >we< decide to stock)

Back in the 70's/early 80's, I remember K-mart had a reasonable hobby department. Target had things like HO trains and plastic models as well. Not anymore... these are all relegated as "niche hobbies" that require a special store...

Why? Don't blame the stores -- they'd sell anything to make a buck. Blame things like video games, and other "instant entertainment". Most parents aren't willing to take the time to nurture their kids in a hobby like Rocketry, and most kids aren't gonna seek it out by themselves...

Want to help change the tide? Make sure your own kids get involved in a hobby (be it rocketry, or whatever). I'm assuming that people here with kids of that age are already doing that, but if not, and your kid would rather sit in front of the Video Game, then you're part of the problem...

-Tim
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
All the more reason to patronize your local, friendly habby shop---------
Or go back to the hobby's roots and buy by mail order.
Half the fun in the early days was waiting with anticipation for the postman to arrive. Not here today? Boy, I'm sure it will be here tomorrow!

Bill Simon

The good old days!!!
When I started in the hobby 43 years ago, we went to our local hobby shop, purchased tons of rockets and motors and got excellent personal service.

several years ago the hobby shop went of of business ater 42 years in the business,one of the first hobby shops in New Jersey to sell Estes products............the reason why..............mass merchandisers !!!

There are certain areas of the country that are hard pressed to have ANY mass merchandisers let alone hobby shops.

Why do you think that a certain company won't sell via mail order? The mass won't allow it.

Well, it seems that WM isn't going to sell many rockets, and like I mentioned previously, I was told, don't talk to a store manager.

Well, that was not the case, I did speak to a manager and was told straight out, talk to a store manager and contact corporate and request..............only then they might listen.

The trouble with mass is, they tell the mfg how much they are willing to pay for an item, and, if you want to get in the dooe, you sell to them at that price.

We need to get back to our roots, balsa, aerogloss sealer, lower prices, quality, creativity, mail order, and personal contact from mfg's at national contests.

I'm ceretainly not pointing fingers at anyone, this is my opinion.

I do hope the hobby can survive another 50, time will tell.........
Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
stupid Walmart,

I was just at one of the Walmarts by me today. I took a gander in the toy department. I found a few OOP Launchables. There were two Fat Boys, a BLU-97B Cluster Bomb, a Lucky Seven, a GBU-24 Paveway III and a Python 4 ASRAAM.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Master Modeler

And we all know how long ago these came out.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

The Wal-Mart stores in Kirksville, MO and Quincy, IL both tend to carry the same items... the RTF camera rocket starter set (whatever they call that), the Launchables Outlaw/Black Diamond starter set, the two different RTF mini-rocket starter sets, one or more of the Launchables kits in the strangely-designed packaging (usually a Star Dart/Sizzler or Heatseeker package, rarely any of the others, though I got my Bullpup that way), and a box or two of "assorted" engines. Generally, A10-3T, A8-3, C6-5, C6-3, or C6-7; once, I saw a box containing several packages of B6-4's.

Gah. If only Hobby Lobby would stock B6-6's... at least they have A8-5's. The LHS in Quincy has a very small selection of Quest kits and some pre-fire engines; I plan to go in there and get a pack of B6-0's before they sell out, but that shouldn't be any time soon at the rate he is going.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Craftsman

One thing I found at my local WM was a lot of engines at $3.50-4.79 per 3-pack. Needless to say I bought a few. The selection of rockets was slim mostly starter kits and camera rockets.