Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 01:58 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
Half the fun in the early days was waiting with anticipation for the postman to arrive. Not here today? Boy, I'm sure it will be here tomorrow!

Bill Simon

You got that right, Bill!

That's why i LOVE getting those boxes from Semroc every two or three months.

Of course, its not exactly the same, because the anticipation came from the three weeks it took to order something from Penrose to Athens, GA.

Carl and Sheryl gets it to me in two days!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
Half the fun in the early days was waiting with anticipation for the postman to arrive. Not here today? Boy, I'm sure it will be here tomorrow!

Bill Simon

Yeah, I always wanted my stuff shipped via the post office so I got one more shot during the week (Saturday) to get it delivered.

I even made friends with the mail man so I could find out where he started his route in the morning. Our house was at the very end of the route and he didn't show up until 4:00 or even later. Once I learned where he started, I drove my bike over there to meet him. I still recall a couple of times when I drove up and he said "Hey Kurt, I have a 'rocket box' here for you! Do you want it now or just wait till I deliver it later?"

Ya sure, deliver it later. Wrong!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Master Modeler

I went by the local WM here last night and I guess that rocket stuff IS selling here..hmmmm..The time I was there previously and last nights visit showed a big reduction in the number of rocket sets they had on the shelf..The have the Oracle starter set, a few launchable, and a couple of the mini shot set..Have also been noticing the motors moving out pretty good too..Just wish they had a little more selection, just mainly A10-3, A8-5, C6-5 and C6-7..
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
I went by the local WM here last night and I guess that rocket stuff IS selling here..hmmmm..The time I was there previously and last nights visit showed a big reduction in the number of rocket sets they had on the shelf..The have the Oracle starter set, a few launchable, and a couple of the mini shot set..Have also been noticing the motors moving out pretty good too..Just wish they had a little more selection, just mainly A10-3, A8-5, C6-5 and C6-7..

At least they have rockets, mine is closing them out.
As far as the motors go, all the WM seem to carry the same type, and no B's.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:34 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
At least they have rockets, mine is closing them out.
As far as the motors go, all the WM seem to carry the same type, and no B's.

Something I've noticed at my local WM, is the way motors seem to "trickle in". Most of the time, the store here at my front door has had the same boxes of C6-3, -5, and -7 motors on the shelf since Methuselah was flying prototype Scouts. A few days ago, they miraculously had four packs of A8-3 motors appear. They disappeared just as quickly (with some help from me... ). I'm almost certain the next time I see any "A" or "B" motors will be well into the next year.

It's been literally years since I've seen any major inflow of motors. I did notice the disappearance (finally) of that X-15 starter set, and the addition of a couple more Outlaw / Black Diamond sets.

We have a new WM opening soon a few miles from me. Maybe I can get in touch with the new manager and "educate" him or her properly...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Old Fogey

I believe all WalMart management personnel are Cylons, so no gender designation is appropriate.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Craftsman

Maybe your WM is different but the ones near me all buy their engines in those packs where you get 8? of 3 different types, usually A10's, A8's, B6's, & C's. I am sure they need to sell the whole box before they stock a new one. The last time I was at our closest WM they had 3 full cases? open, I picked some A10's up, I'll have to see what is left when I walk the isles this week. Kinda interested since it has been a good few weeks since I was there last. There rocket selection was almost non-existent, a couple of starter sets and I can't remember which one.
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M.Knox
Maybe your WM is different but the ones near me all buy their engines in those packs where you get 8? of 3 different types, usually A10's, A8's, B6's, & C's. I am sure they need to sell the whole box before they stock a new one. The last time I was at our closest WM they had 3 full cases? open, I picked some A10's up, I'll have to see what is left when I walk the isles this week. Kinda interested since it has been a good few weeks since I was there last. There rocket selection was almost non-existent, a couple of starter sets and I can't remember which one.

Same with (all) my local area WMs. They get those 12-pack display boxes, and inevitably they have only a few motors in each box - rarely a "full box" of anything.

I've always been of the mind that "Ya can't sell what ya ain't got" - you've got to have the product on the shelves if you expect to rack up sales at the register. Somehow, this ain't computin' at Wally World as far as rockets go...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 AM
Master Modeler

Those motors displays are known as master packs, there not the same as bulk packs. The problem with that is, if there are motors that are not selling, the master pack will just sit there until the amount goes down enough to put up another master pack.

Usually the "C" motors are the first to go, and, how many of us need A10's, and usually lots of C's.

There should be a way that WM can replenish the missing motors, but, apparently they can't.

Likev I mentioned previously, it's the demand that dictates what kits they have to offer, and, in my case NONE.

Like I was told, you need to talk to a manager and also contact corporate, unless they know there is a market, they will drop them.

I have also notices that Spin Master items have also been reduced as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Master Modeler

Just got back from my local WM, here is a list of the motors available.

packs of motors available

14 A10-3T

1 A8-3

1 C6-3

6 C6-5

4 C6-7

And only about four starter sets all the same.