Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default rare kits header colors

Can anyone tell me the years and locations produced for the yellow headers 60s ,the green,orange,red,then blue and black header boards?I need the years related to each color and maybe why? Also the locations produced for each color?Any info also on which header all things being equal are more rare. I truely would appreciate any info thxs!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM
GET GOONY!!

I saved the below from a website several years ago. I am not sure if this answers your questions or not.... I hope it helps:

Phred
Attached Files
File Type: doc Kit Package Details.doc (52.5 KB, 193 views)

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Junior Rocketeer

can't open file is ther any way to send? thx
Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 PM
GET GOONY!!

THe abobe attachment is a Mocrosoft Word doc. I saved it as a jpeg below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes packaging historysm.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  93.1 KB  

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

thanks.very informative,has anyone broke down population of a model # with specfic header card? ex. scissorwing (blue) v.s. (black).thx sorry to be so specfic
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
GET GOONY!!

From what I have heard, no records were kept of these details. Nothing was thrown away, and ESTES simply used what was available until they ran out, then used the new headers. For Example: I have an Alpha kit with a pre-Damon face card, and a post Damon hang tag.

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I can tell you one thing for sure..............that red hangtag pictured opposite the 1971-1972 blurb is VERY scarce. In that era Estes also used a yellow hangtag that was identical to the red one except for the color. I started doing some population studies on the relative rarity of the two a few years back, and one thing is for certain.............there were at least 100 yellow hangtags used for every red one during that time. Also, the yellow hangtag came in two sizes, 5" x 1 3/4" (folded) for use on smaller kits, and 6 3/8" x 2" for use on the larger ones. The red hangtag came only in the larger size (at least, I have never seen a small one, and I am confident that they never existed). I have never heard any reason why Estes used the red hangtag................it may just have been an error at the printing shop, and Vern may have decided to use them rather than waste them.

Joe
Old 10-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Mike Mauer's website that Phred got this info of off used to still be accessible via the wayback machine at archive.org. The domain was www.modelrockets.com. Unfortunately, it appears that Darrell over at RocketryPlanet has bought the domain and now the info is gone. If you try hitting that domain on archive.org it just takes you to Darrell's uHostMe server page.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I can tell you one thing for sure..............that red hangtag pictured opposite the 1971-1972 blurb is VERY scarce. In that era Estes also used a yellow hangtag that was identical to the red one except for the color. I started doing some population studies on the relative rarity of the two a few years back, and one thing is for certain.............there were at least 100 yellow hangtags used for every red one during that time. Also, the yellow hangtag came in two sizes, 5" x 1 3/4" (folded) for use on smaller kits, and 6 3/8" x 2" for use on the larger ones. The red hangtag came only in the larger size (at least, I have never seen a small one, and I am confident that they never existed). I have never heard any reason why Estes used the red hangtag................it may just have been an error at the printing shop, and Vern may have decided to use them rather than waste them.

Joe

Joe,

I have DOZENS of 'skill level' kits with red hang tags from this period with the estes log on the left side, and the damon on the right. What is rarer are the Red/blue/black hang tags; I only have about a dozen or so kits with those. Those are from the time when Estes Ind. was being handed over to Damon Ind..

What is VERY rare and most people don't know this is that 'K' kits have a special situation concerning hangtags. I am not going to say what, but for those who love to research and figuring things out... its out there

Robert
Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Robert, I'm not sure which hangtag variety you are referring to when you say Estes logo on the left and Damon on the right. Is it the red hangtag from the '71-'72 timeframe in the file posted by Phred above? Those were never used in 'Skill Level' packaging. If you are referring to the red skill level packaging hangtag, that was only used on one bagged kit to signify Skill Level 5, namely the Mercury Redstone kit (a pink one was used for Level 2, and those are very common). Can you enlighten me? As for the special situation for 'K' kits that you refer to, I may already be aware of it but just don't realise it since I have no way of knowing what you are referring to. If you want to email me and give me a subtle hint I will let you know whether I'm aware of it. If not, my curiosity would undoubtedly push me to do the research.

Joe