Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Master Modeler

I got an Outlander on clearance at Hobby Lobby a while back for only $5, so it was natural
for me to take advantage of this offer (it was the last Outlander kit on the shelf). Should
I build it, I'm going to paint mine similar to the Mars Lander paint scheme (as shown in
that beautiful picture several posts before this one....).

Also, I'll use the D engine for power, having seen several Outlanders fly (barely) on the C6.
The logic is to learn from the mistakes of others (if not your own).....
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Re-BAR

Hmm, I'm just the opposite, I prefer the look of the Outlander over the ML. I don't see any other reason to "fly" either of them besides if you like their looks... I haven't built the "O" yet, still looking at it. Sure doesn't look like it would fly well, looks like one of those things where you put the biggest engine you can in, and just totally blast it up there since there are no aerodynamic qualities. I'm not surprised people over-build them though, they look like they need it because it's easy to believe they're going to take a beating coming down.

You're lucky you have discount/clearout rocket kits in the U.S. Just doesn't happen in Canada, prices start at over U.S. list here. They are never cleared out, that's why you can sometimes find real old stuff in some stores, and it's still expensive at the original Canadian retail price! I doubt anyone sells the "O" for much less than $30 here, and never will, even if they're still on the shelf in 5 years. That's why I only buy OOP kits in Canada, never current stuff.

I would be very surprised if any Estes rocket kit released in the "internet/eBay age" becomes a true collectible, if you mean it being uncommon and very desirable. From what I've seen, there's tons of everything Estes even remotely desirable released since ~96/97 when eBay/web really started to explode. Desirable stuff from just 2-3 years before that was already very expensive by '96.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
Hmm, I'm just the opposite, I prefer the look of the Outlander over the ML. I don't see any other reason to "fly" either of them besides if you like their looks... I haven't built the "O" yet, still looking at it. Sure doesn't look like it would fly well, looks like one of those things where you put the biggest engine you can in, and just totally blast it up there since there are no aerodynamic qualities. I'm not surprised people over-build them though, they look like they need it because it's easy to believe they're going to take a beating coming down.

You're lucky you have discount/clearout rocket kits in the U.S. Just doesn't happen in Canada, prices start at over U.S. list here. They are never cleared out, that's why you can sometimes find real old stuff in some stores, and it's still expensive at the original Canadian retail price! I doubt anyone sells the "O" for much less than $30 here, and never will, even if they're still on the shelf in 5 years. That's why I only buy OOP kits in Canada, never current stuff.

I would be very surprised if any Estes rocket kit released in the "internet/eBay age" becomes a true collectible, if you mean it being uncommon and very desirable. From what I've seen, there's tons of everything Estes even remotely desirable released since ~96/97 when eBay/web really started to explode. Desirable stuff from just 2-3 years before that was already very expensive by '96.

Instead of paying retail it may be worth the trouble for you to take a 3 hr drive to Sarnia, cross the Blue Water Bridge to Port Huron and go the the Hobby Lobby. I can supply you with some 40% off coupons! Hobby Lobby takes Canadian money at par now

It's only 20 minutes away for me.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Re-BAR

Sandman: are you in Canada? Or do you mean you're 20 mins. from a HL? Do you know that in Canada they tax you on the value of the item before coupon or rebates *if the fact you used a coupon is on the store receipt* (it almost always is), not on the price you actually paid...*******s!

I did some calculations before, and even with my reasonably fuel-efficient car, I'd have to buy a hell of a lot of stuff to make the trip financially worthwhile. My last few orders have been with AC Supply, and with their 33% discount from list, and the shipping costs to Canada plus the taxes etc., I end up paying about full U.S. list overall. I do not mind that AT ALL. It's the mindset of years of paying 50% or 100% over list (plus 15% taxes on that) that makes list price (all-in) totally acceptable! And I'm a cheap ******* to boot. Everything is expensive in Canada, U.S. list price is usually a relative bargain. In fact, I see some places now making a big deal they "only" charge full U.S. list price...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I got an Outlander on clearance at Hobby Lobby a while back for only $5, .....

What....you only got one?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
And I'm a cheap ******* to boot....

That's okay...I've been called a "Cheap SOB"
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
What....you only got one?

Yeah, that was the very last Outlander kit they had available (now you can see why I got
it immediately). The bag appeared to have been opened, but once I got home and checked
the contents, everything is there. I also bought a Blue Ninja that was in the clearance section with the Outlander; couldn't see anything wrong with it until I went through the
stuff. Found the engine lock ring was missing (a quick e-mail to Estes customer service
resulted in receiving, free, the entire plastic fin can assembly parts to replace the lock
ring). The Blue Ninja is one of my favorite sport/demo models now....
Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Sandman: are you in Canada? Or do you mean you're 20 mins. from a HL? Do you know that in Canada they tax you on the value of the item before coupon or rebates *if the fact you used a coupon is on the store receipt* (it almost always is), not on the price you actually paid...*******s!

I did some calculations before, and even with my reasonably fuel-efficient car, I'd have to buy a hell of a lot of stuff to make the trip financially worthwhile. My last few orders have been with AC Supply, and with their 33% discount from list, and the shipping costs to Canada plus the taxes etc., I end up paying about full U.S. list overall. I do not mind that AT ALL. It's the mindset of years of paying 50% or 100% over list (plus 15% taxes on that) that makes list price (all-in) totally acceptable! And I'm a cheap ******* to boot. Everything is expensive in Canada, U.S. list price is usually a relative bargain. In fact, I see some places now making a big deal they "only" charge full U.S. list price...

No, I'm not in Canada but I'm close! I'm on the west shore of Lake Huron in Michigan right across from Grand Bend. I'm 20 minutes away from Hobby Lobby in Port Huron.

Most Canadians come to Port huron to fill up on gas at $3 a gallon.

They may have some rocket items in their "clearance" aisle.

I'll stop and look tomorrow when I'm driving home.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Master Modeler

It's official the OUTLANDER has been discontinued, if sales fall for a particular kit, it's history, it could be one year or 20 or more, sales dictate if it stays or goes.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think sales would have been helped if they had either made an 18mm SU BP engine capable of flying this thing decently (such as the OOP C5-3) or made it 24mm from the get go and had the C11-3 and D12-3 as reccommended motors.
This thing does NOT fly decently or even modestly safely on a C6-3.
The only 18mm engines this will turn in a decent flight with are Aerotech 18mm composite SU and RMS full 20 n-sec D engines.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !