Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Master Modeler

Let me tell you, if you followed the Estes Forum, I tried my best to get "requested" motors brought back............didn't happen !!!

They should have brought back the Mars Lander, you can't substitute for the real thing.

I guess you can consider this one as rge Edsel of model rockets.......
Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Re-BAR

"the real thing"? Well, I think Estes could have easily re-issued the ML with a lot less work. It sure is a LOT easier to build too. I guess I'm one of those who wants to see new things, and not just reissues to please us old farts. I do realise that from most reports it's the basic 3-4FNC designs that are the breadwinners though.

Anyway, it's noted that I should build the O for 24mm. I was thinking it would be a great candidate for 18mm RMS as it surely could use the boost, plus it would be really hard to lose the casing with it. Have lost way too many of those, and are EXPENSIVE now, from putting them in things that don't really "need" them.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

What's easy for us long time rocketeers, is not that easy for them ! I guess that they wanted something "new", which is not always the best choice.

Rockets come and rockets go, that's the nature of the hobby. At least the Interceptor came back and an added attraction, the 1350 D/E.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Scale builder

Glad I read in here as I just recently got an Outlander for my son. Estetically not my cup of tea but he thinks it's the coolest looking thing ever. KIDS! Anyway, having read this thread we'll definatelly build it with a 24mm mount. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

My hobby industry insider just got the new December 1st, 2007 Estes price list. The Outlander is still on it.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
My hobby industry insider just got the new December 1st, 2007 Estes price list. The Outlander is still on it.

Yes, my guess is the Outlander will still be in the catalog/price listing until the stock runs
out. John Boren told me the kit is no longer being produced, so I take that to mean when
it's gone, it's gone. When I asked why, the answer was the Outlander just isn't selling....
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

I agree, the Outlander is NOT the best looking design ...

Bought mine for the parts for a Lander clone, but now the Semroc kit is out, will have to grab one instead ( was thinking go ahead with the clone build, since I already destroyed R2 for the BT100 , but.... )

If the Outlander is truly OOP, might have to save the opened kit for ' someday build' ... it's funny how it was comared to the Edsel ( ? by RD ) , as my dad has a 58 Edsel.. noone wanted em back then, but today collectors would kill for one .

Same with some things we / I are cloning - 3fnc stuff that we did not care about back in the day, now we're cloning those - and other ' orphans' like the D.A.R.T. , etc...

So someday someone will be nostalgic fo rthe Outlander, go figure

~ AL
Old 11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Hooooooorrrraaaayyyy!

Ding dong, the [female dog] is dead!

I was excited by the Outlander design, jumped on one right away, but after I got done and put it on the scale, it was obvious the thing might not even make it off the rod on a C6. IIRC, Estes :"list" weight on it, plus the motor, is more than 50% over their max recommended liftoff weight for a C6-3.

I got one flight out of it on a C6-0, and THAT was too long a delay--it smashed to pieces on the ground under thrust.

This, and the Cosmos Mariner are to me the most disappointing flyers I've ever seen out of Estes. I did wind up picking up two more, though, to beef up to 24mm and to finish in the ML scheme with Sirius's decals, so looks like they can't blame the slumping sales on me. Well, except for word of mouth...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Re-BAR

I wonder if people have complained after failure with recommended engines, and got a replacement kit? Maybe they should give out free D-conversion kits to those who ask... mainly because I want a couple for mine, I don't have the parts here and am not sure what numbers to order.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 PM
mostly harmless

I never thought much of the Outlander until I saw it with the NASA-style finish shown here. Sweet! For the full thread see here

If my build queue wasn't already so long (and my wallet already so empty), I'd buy one. I've still got a few C5-3s waiting for just such an occasion.