Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
And what's a 'White Castle'?"
p

Ooh! They have White Castles in Wisconsin??? I *KNOW* I'll be there, then!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Ooh! They have White Castles in Wisconsin??? I *KNOW* I'll be there, then!

I was kidding, but I could swear that when Scott and I pulled off the expressway, a White Castle was one of the first things we saw.
If they're there, I'm buying.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
BAR Wannabee

Quote:
I was kidding, but I could swear that when Scott and I pulled off the expressway, a White Castle was one of the first things we saw.

And if you're buying, I'm there!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
BAR Wannabee

Quote:

I checked at www.whitecastle.com, and there are at least 3 White Castles in the Milwaukee/Kenosha area.

See here: http://tinyurl.com/9xskr
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
Old 06-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
I checked at www.whitecastle.com, and there are at least 3 White Castles in the Milwaukee/Kenosha area.

See here: http://tinyurl.com/9xskr

Heh, I stand corrected. I just made a post (since deleted) that there aren't any in WI. I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Heh, I stand corrected. I just made a post (since deleted) that there aren't any in WI. I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held.

This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them. I think I still have remnants coursing through my bloodstream from all that I ate in high school.

Next you'll be telling me someone's bringing a few cases of PBR or Piels to wash them down.

Drew Tomko

Last edited by dtomko : 06-23-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them. I think I still have remannats coursing through my bloodstream from all that I ate in high school.

Next you'll be telling me someone's bringing a few cases of PBR or Piels to wash them down.

Drew Tomko

Must be a regional thing. I think of Wiedemann when I eat White Castles. I'm gettin this mental picture of a chambermaid crying in the hall outside a certain Kenosha motel room. Everyone assumes she's found a dead body until a guy in a "Why Yes, I Am A Rocket Scientist" t-shirt walks out of the room, followed by a near-lethal cloud of "exhaust". Seeing this sends the maid screeching down the hall where she tries to jump through the window into the parking lot.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltvscout
I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrthro
And if you're buying, I'm there!

Folks,

Down here in Mobile, and in various other places along the Gulf Coast, we have our own variation of the White Castle. It's called a Krystal, and the description of the little burgers is identical. One of them is certainly the original, and the other a direct copy, down to the size of the buns and patties.

The way Krystals are cooked is in every way the same. When I watched the Food Channel "Unwrapped" segment on White Castle, the technique for laying out the onions, then the patties, and then the buns with a lid placed over them to steam them, is absolutely the same technique used at Krystal. They're finished off with a squirt of mustard and a pickle.

So, if you're ever down this way, now you know what to look for! A different name, perhaps, but the same taste and after-effect!

Craig...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
BP Mafia

I discovered Krystal back in college. We noticed one on a football road trip and stopped for a sack. Then a few hours later we noticed another one and stopped for another sack. My buddy still lets me have it for that. I think I ate about 20 in the course of the two stops. I love 'em, and I even introduced my parents (avowed Whitey lovers) to them on the way back from spring break this year. Neither chain is entirely consistent in the preparation. Some White Castles are served with mustard, some with ketchup, some with pickle, some with a combination of these. In the Cincy/Northern KY area, it's just a pickle. Krystal is the same way. Some of them use fresh onion in place of the steamed onion, pickle and onion. Like you said, the end result is similar, and I've grown to love both.
(I should mention that I'm a member of the White Castle Cravers Hall Of Fame. Somewhere on the website is the story that I sent them to start myself down the road to this honor. I've got a pin and everything.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 AM
BAR Wannabee

Quote:
(I should mention that I'm a member of the White Castle Cravers Hall Of Fame. Somewhere on the website is the story that I sent them to start myself down the road to this honor. I've got a pin and everything.)

I can't even begin to imagine how proud you must be.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR