Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Leo, you know this begs the question: what exactly is a model rocket. What makes a model rocket a model rocket? I have pictures and diagrams of "model rockets" from the 1930's..... and guess what they look like? our modern day model rockets, some even had parachute recovery systems and were even STAGED!. But are they TRUE "model rockets" when you take into consideration that they didn't use model rocket motors, but pyrotechnic (fireworks) black powder rocket motors?

I think the main difference between "model rockets" and these early toy rockets is the use of electrical ignition for model rockets. I saw a flying toy rocket set for sale at a comic book convention a while back that looked very much like a model rocket set. But the motor was ignited using a fuse.

-- Roger
Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Wasted away again.......

Let's put a slightly differant spin on the question - what is the currently available modle rocket kit [as we know model rockets to be] that is still in production?

My first guess would the Big Bertha. I think it was offered as a kit @1965, after having been published as a plan by Estes. Another guess would be the Alpha, but I don't think it was made available as a kit until 1966.

Either way, I'm sure someone out there has the correct answer and the documentation to prove it!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
I think the main difference between "model rockets" and these early toy rockets is the use of electrical ignition for model rockets. I saw a flying toy rocket set for sale at a comic book convention a while back that looked very much like a model rocket set. But the motor was ignited using a fuse.

-- Roger

In one of the magazine articles Stine himself wrote up about the early MMI sets, didn't he indicate he was using fuse ignition early on? Electrical ignition was only developed later to distinguish these models from simple fireworks, mostly to gain the approval of State Fire Marshals and other community officials?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
Let's put a slightly differant spin on the question - what is the currently available modle rocket kit [as we know model rockets to be] that is still in production?

My first guess would the Big Bertha. I think it was offered as a kit @1965, after having been published as a plan by Estes. Another guess would be the Alpha, but I don't think it was made available as a kit until 1966.

If we're talking about continuous, un-interrupted production by the same company, my vote goes with the Big Bertha as well, followed by the Alpha. But, if we're talking about kits that may have been re-introduced at a later date, either by the original company or a new company, and are simply "in production" now, then you have to look at some of SEMROC's Centuri offerings as the originals of these pre-date the BB by a year or more.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
In one of the magazine articles Stine himself wrote up about the early MMI sets, didn't he indicate he was using fuse ignition early on? Electrical ignition was only developed later to distinguish these models from simple fireworks, mostly to gain the approval of State Fire Marshals and other community officials?

Craig, Yes indeed the original Carlisle rock-a-chutes employed fuse ignition. In fact electrical ignition was developed independently of one another by both Carlisle and Stine, in letters that they wrote to each other in early 1957.

Whats interesting is if you look closely at the Mechanic Illustrated Oct 1957 Cover, you will see that the boy has what appears to be some kind of fuse lighter in his hand smoldering. ALso inside the pages, you can see examples of the boy lighting a fuse igniter ...

And yes indeed again, electrical ignition was developed so as to remove model rockets even further from the thought that they might be fireworks.

hth

terry dean
nar 16158
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cover57.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  37.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  10_57Mech_Ill.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  53.5 KB  
Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:

Yes, some of the photos of I've seen of the early model rocket sets have fuses. But it was the switch to electrical ignition that really differentiated model rocketry from fireworks.

-- Roger
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

As has been discussed, there were model rockets before 1958. The question was the first "mass produced" model rocket. That means the new question would be: How many units does one have to produce to be considered "mass produced"? Those rockets from the 20's and 30's, nor Leo's model probably didn't get produced in the same quantity as the MMI and early Estes stuff, but were there enough produced to be considered "mass produced"?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
As has been discussed, there were model rockets before 1958. The question was the first "mass produced" model rocket. That means the new question would be: How many units does one have to produce to be considered "mass produced"? Those rockets from the 20's and 30's, nor Leo's model probably didn't get produced in the same quantity as the MMI and early Estes stuff, but were there enough produced to be considered "mass produced"?

I would add commercially mass produced... but then mass production in 1930 versus mass production in 1957 might mean differing things ? hhaah just joking.....

Anyway the "model rockets" that I spoke of were aerodynamic test models flown by early members of the experimental committee of the ARS; thats right, the American Rocket Society, today the AIAA.(since 1963) You do know that G. Harry was also an ARS member? Oh Yeah, he was also an editor and then the editor in chief of the "Missiles Away" magazine of the ARS section (club) , The New Mexico-West Texas section of the ARS, Inc. In 1954 he achieved vice-president of this organization. He did all this while working at WSPG. Talk about multi-tasking.

hth

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
ps the ONLY reason I can see that Estes is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2008 is that in the summer of 1958 G.Harry Stine and Vern Estes met for the first time and discussed Vern making a motor making machine which later became MABEL.

hth

AFAIK, Mabel is a nickname, not an acronym, so you shouldn't put it in all-caps.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Question

Quote:
If we're talking about continuous, un-interrupted production by the same company, my vote goes with the Big Bertha as well, followed by the Alpha. But, if we're talking about kits that may have been re-introduced at a later date, either by the original company or a new company, and are simply "in production" now, then you have to look at some of SEMROC's Centuri offerings as the originals of these pre-date the BB by a year or more.

Has the old Estes Scout been regulated to the bottom of the list? That and the Mark? They were before the Bertha. As Estes' truly first model rocket, they sold many thousands I'm sure. I built quite a few of them as they seemed to disappear on the old B3's and B.8's

Jack

NAR 4619 L2