Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
An A3 or 1/2A3 taped into a standard size casing would also do the job, possible with a less punishing ejection charge.
That is exactly what we were going to do for the mass launch. We have special casings that we bought that have a slightly oversize ID to fit the "T" engines. LOTS of them!

The testing we have done with modern engines has been positive. The three holes do vent the pressure sufficiently. Of course, I have not tried any of those Kentucky bird shot loads that Bill uses.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 AM
barone's Avatar
barone barone is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 3,041
Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default Shipping Boxes

I was working on my Golden Scout last night and noticed that the shipping box makes a nice little storage box for the model as you're building it and will make a very nice transportation box to get it to the flying field undamaged. I've got a bag of that polyester pillow fill stuffing stuff that I plan on lining the box with. You know, I bet Carl thought about that when he packaged them and planned for us to original send them back for flying at NARAM
__________________
Don
NAR 53455
"Carpe Diem"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Rocket Doctor Rocket Doctor is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I was working on my Golden Scout last night and noticed that the shipping box makes a nice little storage box for the model as you're building it and will make a very nice transportation box to get it to the flying field undamaged. I've got a bag of that polyester pillow fill stuffing stuff that I plan on lining the box with. You know, I bet Carl thought about that when he packaged them and planned for us to original send them back for flying at NARAM



You are correct, the plan was for built Scouts to be sent back so that they could be flown at NARAM and sent back to their owners.

Both unbuilt and built Scouts could fit nicely in the shipping box, it also can serve to hold your Scout and prevent any potential damage in transportation .

Also, the certificate was going to be put into the shipping box, but now, the certificate of particpation will be larger and suitable for framing.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
jflis jflis is offline
FlisKits, Inc.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack, NH (wish it were Alaska :) )
Posts: 795
Default

We had our launch (Boys & Girls Club) yesterday (see pix in the photo thread). We flew on 1/2A6-2 motors. We had two whose ejection charge was so weak that it blew all out the 3 vent holes and the motor didn't move back. The snow prevented damage. I was quite surprised...
__________________
FlisKits, Inc.
http://fliskits.com/
Model rocket kits and MORE!

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
That is exactly what we were going to do for the mass launch. We have special casings that we bought that have a slightly oversize ID to fit the "T" engines. LOTS of them!

Carl,

You may have already done this, but if not, put 'em up for sale on the website. I'm sure you can dump some of them that way.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Carl,

You may have already done this, but if not, put 'em up for sale on the website. I'm sure you can dump some of them that way.
I have not done that because they are "engine grade" and not the cheaper spiral kraft. The price would be much more and we don't want to sell casings that could be used for "roll your own engines" because of liability.

Hopefully, we will be able to "burn" them off inventory. If anyone wants a few, denote it on your next order.
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I have not done that because they are "engine grade" and not the cheaper spiral kraft. The price would be much more and we don't want to sell casings that could be used for "roll your own engines" because of liability.

Hopefully, we will be able to "burn" them off inventory. If anyone wants a few, denote it on your next order.

Ah, understood. Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
STRMan's Avatar
STRMan STRMan is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 871
Default

I received mine today. It is # 337. I showed it to my daughter, and she thought it was so cool, I'm ordering another so we can build them side by side. I already have two launcher controllers and pads, so we will fill a little piece of the sky over Daytona Beach, FL with gold this July.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Rocket Doctor Rocket Doctor is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
I received mine today. It is # 337. I showed it to my daughter, and she thought it was so cool, I'm ordering another so we can build them side by side. I already have two launcher controllers and pads, so we will fill a little piece of the sky over Daytona Beach, FL with gold this July.


Please post your photos under the Golden Scout photo gallery of your launch.
Thanks
RD
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
STRMan's Avatar
STRMan STRMan is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Please post your photos under the Golden Scout photo gallery of your launch.
Thanks
RD


Will do! I may also post a few pictures of the build on that thread. I'm glad you got this thing going, Doc!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018