Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Pictures, Bill, we need pictures. Lists are for the grocery store

That said, I do the same thing before a launch. It's a good form of stress management (not that hobbies for relaxation are supposed to cause stress ).

Doug

Sorry. Dad's in the hospital. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
I should also add that I've got the World Federation Star Probe clone flyable and just needing some detail parts. Has anyone ever done any work on the decal scan for this one?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Sorry. Dad's in the hospital.
Bill,

Hope everything is going well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Doug

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Sorry. Dad's in the hospital. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
I should also add that I've got the World Federation Star Probe clone flyable and just needing some detail parts. Has anyone ever done any work on the decal scan for this one?

Ditto what Doug said. I hope he'll be out and up and around soon!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Ditto what Doug said. I hope he'll be out and up and around soon!

Thanks, guys. He's out, but not doing terribly well. (He had his gall bladder removed and there was some infection that delayed the recovery.) He's running my Mom a bit ragged, so I'm trying to talk her into going out and doing something and letting me come down and sit with him for an evening. So far she won't bite, but I'll keep working on her.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
BP Mafia

Default Flight Day - Finally

Well, let's begin with the kites. Yesterday was Kite Fest at VOA. They wanted to cancel our launch, but this was a scheduled regional, the Capricorn V. Instead we were put out to pasture away from the kites.

To give you an idea of the size of these things, the Octopus kite was 95' long from head to tail. Not sure which one it was, but one of the kites that was flying was reported to have cost $18,000. (The house I grew up in cost $14,500, just to put things in perspective.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
BP Mafia

My first flight was Der Big Red Max on an E9-6. I got distracted with some of the Capricorn V details while loading it up, so when it left the pad with E9-6 authority, I was among those impressed and surprised.

Got a HUGE drift on recovery, right over into the heart of kite country where it was avoided like a fresh dog load.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2008, 01:04 PM
BP Mafia

First flight of the Inflight WASP. This has been a very impressive kit, one that I can highly recommend. (He's got a Blue Bird Zero kit that I'm going to try next.)

High, straight flight and huge recovery drift, but landed a few feet away from another QUARKer whose rocket had recovered in the same spot on a previous rack. Kept me from a long walk.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2008, 01:12 PM
BP Mafia

Five of the eight flights I made on Saturday were first flights. The BMS Clone of the Month Viking 1 was among those. Another very cool kit and I'm looking forward to Bill's next offering.

Can't find the launch shot.
Anyway, the flight was high and arrow straight on a C11-7. It started drifting and I thought it was gone. I started walking and noticed a parachute whipping around on the ground over in the kite area. I thought it was just part of one of the kites, but there was a lady standing next to it waving to me and pointing to it. Turns out she was as curious about the rockets as I was about the kites. Her husband was flying one that he paid $1200 for and she just smiled when I asked her about the $18,000 rumor.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2008, 01:24 PM
BP Mafia

Semroc Centaur. I was kind of nervous about this one.

I've never flown a two-stage model that had the passport staging that the Semroc Centaur has. It seemed like the two stages fit together awfully tight, so I did some sanding. It still seemed tight. I took it to the pad once, but got drafted for tracking duty for the Capricorn V competition. I decided against trying it, then remembered what I used to tell my brother in law in the old days; God hates a coward.

Yeah, he hates a coward, but he's partial to wimps, so I went wimpy. B6-0 to A8-5, even though I had C6-0 to C6-7 in my arsenal. The rocket staged at around 100' (before I even lowered the camera, and topped out just as I turned to look. I clearly heard the sound of a collision between the sustainer and payload section at ejection.

I was expecting damage, expecially when something obviously fell away after the impact, but it was the engine casing. Turns out there was some damage, but not like I'd feared.

The fin on the right is shattered somewhat, (leading edge just to the right of the joint,) but the joint held. Pretty impressive. Next time, NO MERCY!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
BP Mafia

Dragged out an oldie for the next flight, the Mega Missile Toe that I needed to fly for review.

This was one of my earlier Goony upscales, so it only has wimpy C11-D12 capability. (The E9 flights are WAY cooler.) Still a pretty cool performer, mostly because of the oddity of it all.

Flight was on a C11-5 and was kind of low, but straight. Then at ejection the "First Aid Kit" tube got tied up with the Kevlar.

Recovery was a short walk, shortest of the day to that point.

I miss being SAM 0058