Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Master Modeler

Default Krylon Paint

Krylon has a new paint nozzle for their spray pint cans, they call it the 360, you can change the direction of the paint spray.

They have new graphics on the cans as well.
Tehere is a video on their web site telling about this new nozzle design and graphics.

Go to www.krylon.com

I can attest to the need for a new nozzle, after paint 27 rockets, I now have a verey sore finger, I sent thwm an email regarind this, and stumbled upon this great information.
Check it out.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Master Modeler

Hey that looks very promising RD. I am in the middle or painting a bunch of rockets (all built over the winter) and it's brutal on your finger after a while.

The new Krylon cap seems to eliminate that problem. I really like the look of the focused fan spray too. It looks like you will get more paint where you want it which should save paint and give a much better end result.

I use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch a lot these days and wish they would come out with a spray cap similar to Krylons. If they don't I may have to switch. I'll at least give it a try.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Hey that looks very promising RD. I am in the middle or painting a bunch of rockets (all built over the winter) and it's brutal on your finger after a while.

The new Krylon cap seems to eliminate that problem. I really like the look of the focused fan spray too. It looks like you will get more paint where you want it which should save paint and give a much better end result.

I use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch a lot these days and wish they would come out with a spray cap similar to Krylons. If they don't I may have to switch. I'll at least give it a try.

After 27 rockets, my finger is about to fall off!!
Isent two emails to Krylon, asking if the new nozzles could be used on the old cans, havn't gottn a reply back yet, If there are compatable, I asked them to send me a bunch of the new nozzles, certainly will save on the finger.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Isent two emails to Krylon, asking if the new nozzles could be used on the old cans, havn't gottn a reply back yet, If there are compatable, I asked them to send me a bunch of the new nozzles, certainly will save on the finger.

I suppose you could just use one of these, though I haven't tried them myself.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by banco
I suppose you could just use one of these, though I haven't tried them myself.

Thanks
I did go to Lowes and buy a paint can trigger, after the fact.

The weather finally was good, in the 70's and the humidity was low, perfect painting day. I had 27 rockets to finish off, only have 11 to go. Two coats each, that's a lot of painting. I get to do it again on the remaining rockets.

RD
Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Those nozzles have been around for at least 20 years, in Sherwin-Williams products (I suppose that's why they're now on Krylon, as S-W now owns Krylon). I do see one improvement, in that it doesn't require longer fingernail to turn the direction.

I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I don't know if this is nationwide, but i got a can of Metallic Gold Krylon for just $1.98 from Michaels yesterday (it rang up as "promo price"), and it did an excellent job on Scout #597. This is NOT the regular Krylon line, by the way.

Finally, a non Krylon complaint. I got a can of some sort of plastikote fleck paint, that for some reason has no flecks in it. I shook it for 15 minutes, but it is essentially nothing but a clear coat. Was going to do a nifty looking irridescent VF-261, but I guess I'll just shoot it two-toned gold and silver.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor

That's a LOT of painting RD! I just finished up a scratch Colonial Viper and a Q-Modeling
Nike-X.

I had also just about wrapped up an Estes DER V-3 and I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with the job so I decided to just hit it again real fast. Big mistake. Now I have to sand the whole thing down and start over again. I should have left good enough alone.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Those nozzles have been around for at least 20 years, in Sherwin-Williams products (I suppose that's why they're now on Krylon, as S-W now owns Krylon). I do see one improvement, in that it doesn't require longer fingernail to turn the direction.

I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I don't know if this is nationwide, but i got a can of Metallic Gold Krylon for just $1.98 from Michaels yesterday (it rang up as "promo price"), and it did an excellent job on Scout #597. This is NOT the regular Krylon line, by the way.

Finally, a non Krylon complaint. I got a can of some sort of plastikote fleck paint, that for some reason has no flecks in it. I shook it for 15 minutes, but it is essentially nothing but a clear coat. Was going to do a nifty looking irridescent VF-261, but I guess I'll just shoot it two-toned gold and silver.

Just received an email from Krylon, they did admit that there were problems with the old valves. I guess this is why they changed over to the new 360 valves.

They offered me a refund or new product if I would send to them my ORIGINAL store receipt.
What I ened up doing like I mentioned above, went to Lowes, and purchased a trigger, it work great, I would suggest anyone who does any painting with spray paints to invest into a trigger.
Homax Aeresol Spray Gun SKU 46078 $2.57, and, well worth the investment.

I would suggest contacting Krylon, go to their web site ask@krylon.com and submit your info, they responded back to me with a couple of hours.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
That's a LOT of painting RD! I just finished up a scratch Colonial Viper and a Q-Modeling
Nike-X.

I had also just about wrapped up an Estes DER V-3 and I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with the job so I decided to just hit it again real fast. Big mistake. Now I have to sand the whole thing down and start over again. I should have left good enough alone.

I'm finishing up now, plenty of GOLD paint used. At least the weather was cooperating this time. I will post photos soon.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Craftsman

I had the same spitting problem with the new can/valve of gloss black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl