Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
BornAgainRocketeer and RC Pilot

Thanks for the info RD........So far Krylon has been great paint for hobbies..It puts up with my heavy painting just fine. I get runs with other paint....guess im impatient.

Krylon ..good stuff. I love the gloss clear.....Makes them Rockets shine.

Jim
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race58
I had the same spitting problem with the new can/valve of gloss black.

contac their customer service dapt, they stand behing their products (if you have the original receipt)

ask@krylon.com
www.krylon.com
Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I would suggest anyone who does any painting with spray paints to invest into a trigger.

I bought one 2 years ago when my daughter was having trouble painting her rockets. At age 10, her finger would tire too quickly from holding the spray nozzle down.

It immediately solved the problem and made for a way happier spray painter, and nicer paint jobs to boot. I wish every problem in life was that easy and inexpensive to solve.

I highly recommend the spray triggers for kids, and the young at heart.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
B.A.R.

What is this spray trigger you all are talking about? Never heard of it. Sounds like I could sure use one.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I've had a couple Krylon cans do that. I bought two cans of Sunshine Yellow, if I recall the name correctly. Both spit globs out. I took them back to Hobby Lobby for an exchange.

Had problems with Testors small cans, too. Once can had no pressure to speak of, and just spit out little bits of paint. ANother one gushed paint, like tio had a faulty seal, or maybe a nozzle that did not fit well.

Ironically, most of the "buck-a-can" paints I've tried shoot fine.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I've had a couple Krylon cans do that. I bought two cans of Sunshine Yellow, if I recall the name correctly. Both spit globs out. I took them back to Hobby Lobby for an exchange.

Had problems with Testors small cans, too. Once can had no pressure to speak of, and just spit out little bits of paint. Another one gushed paint, like it had a faulty seal, or maybe a nozzle that did not fit well. (See below). The red fins have some imperfections from the intense spray they received. The can probably lost 1/2 its paint all over my lawn while I tried to paint the fins.

Ironically, most of the "buck-a-can" paints I've tried shoot fine.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonzero2
What is this spray trigger you all are talking about? Never heard of it. Sounds like I could sure use one.

Go to any Lowes or Home Depot , they have them in the paint aisle next to the spray paint cans, it looks like a "pistol", that attatches to the top of the can and has a "trigger" that you pull , sure cuts down on finger fatigue. I still have an impression in my finger.

I have listed the model and SKU number above for the one available at Lowes. Also, hardware stores should have them as well.

But, a sure bet is Lowes, just picked one up yesterday, well worth the price, under $3.00
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
B.A.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Go to any Lowes or Home Depot , they have them in the paint aisle next to the spray paint cans, it looks like a "pistol", that attatches to the top of the can and has a "trigger" that you pull , sure cuts down on finger fatigue. I still have an impression in my finger.

I have listed the model and SKU number above for the one available at Lowes. Also, hardware stores should have them as well.

But, a sure bet is Lowes, just picked one up yesterday, well worth the price, under $3.00

Thanks, I'll do just that. This will also help my 8 year old Grand-daughter who cannot at all push down the nozzle.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have had SEVERAL cans of Testors Gloss White paint perform the "gush around the nozzle" just like your red can in the picture over the past year.
Obviously they have some sort of quality control problem with their can supplier regarding the seal to the nozzle.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Master Modeler

The one thing I noticed on my new can of Krylon is that it no longer says re coat any time. Now it reads re coat within 1 hour or after 24 hours. So I don't know if the paint has changed I will email Krylon. I like the re coat anytime.