Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR

Ironically, most of the "buck-a-can" paints I've tried shoot fine.

Back in the day when Ron Schultz owned LOC/Precision, he made a video (probably 1989 or so) where he built an Onyx. He mentioned that the "buck-a-can" paints available at WalMart at the time were actually good quality Sherwin-Williams products.

Ah! How about that. I still have a can that I bought 18 years ago!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Master Modeler

That only goes to show that many items are made by brand companies and we ard duped into buying the more expensive thinking it is better?????
Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I don't know if this is nationwide, but i got a can of Metallic Gold Krylon for just $1.98 from Michaels yesterday (it rang up as "promo price"), and it did an excellent job on Scout #597. This is NOT the regular Krylon line, by the way.

Yeah, I have seen that new Metallic Gold paint too, at my local hardware store, but not at that price. It looks interesting - does it actually have a metallic sheen, like the label claims?

Quote:
Finally, a non Krylon complaint. I got a can of some sort of plastikote fleck paint, that for some reason has no flecks in it. I shook it for 15 minutes, but it is essentially nothing but a clear coat. Was going to do a nifty looking irridescent VF-261, but I guess I'll just shoot it two-toned gold and silver.

A couple of years ago, I bought a can of Rust-O-Leum Reflective spray paint, that sounds like what you are describing. I tested it on a piece of scrap to see if it would produce that "highway sign" shimmer like it was supposed to do, but it didn't end up having anything like that effect. I wasn't sure if the poor results were inherent in the product or were due to some error in my painting technique. (Normally, Rust-O-Leum never disappoints.)

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Master Modeler

Here is a reply from Krylon
Hi David,

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you
taking the time to contact us.

Yes, the Indoor/Outdoor line has replaced the Interior-Exterior line, and
the formulation for this product is different. While the Interior-Exterior
line was an acrylic lacquer, the new Indoor/Outdoor line is a VT (Vinyl
Toluene) Alkyd enamel.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please
reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I
will respond as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Eric
Krylon Product Support
Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Yeah, I have seen that new Metallic Gold paint too, at my local hardware store, but not at that price. It looks interesting - does it actually have a metallic sheen, like the label claims?

A couple of years ago, I bought a can of Rust-O-Leum Reflective spray paint, that sounds like what you are describing. I tested it on a piece of scrap to see if it would produce that "highway sign" shimmer like it was supposed to do, but it didn't end up having anything like that effect. I wasn't sure if the poor results were inherent in the product or were due to some error in my painting technique. (Normally, Rust-O-Leum never disappoints.)

Mark

I bought this because a guy in our club has a couple of rockets painted with it and they look great! He even painted one of them after wrapping it in a fishnet stocking... very interesting effect. Bummer that mine doesn't work.

Oh, and yes, the sheen on the Metallic Gold is quite nice. Much better than the regular line Silver.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I bought this because a guy in our club has a couple of rockets painted with it and they look great! He even painted one of them after wrapping it in a fishnet stocking... very interesting effect. Bummer that mine doesn't work.

Oh, and yes, the sheen on the Metallic Gold is quite nice. Much better than the regular line Silver.

Try the Rust Oleum Metallic Gold, I found it to be much better than the Krylon. Repainted all of my Golden Scout's, they look much better now.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Try the Rust Oleum Metallic Gold, I found it to be much better than the Krylon. Repainted all of my Golden Scout's, they look much better now.

Yep, the Rust-Oleum 'American Accents' metallic Gold IS a nice rich gold color ..It is what I will be using on my Golden Scouts..
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
7/21/61

The Rustoleum Metallic Silver is also a wonderful color. Very much of a metalflake appearance as opposed to most other silvers.

In general I prefer Krylon paints because they go on thinner and dry more rapidly than other rattlecan paints. But, unfortunately, you can't use Krylon Clear over Excelsior decals. It just eats them up. So anything I'm planning to use Fred's decals on I have to use Rustoleum.

But now that Krylon is changing, I'll have to re-evaluate. The "recoat anytime" approach fit into my life way better than their new <1 hr or >24 hr regimen.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
The Rustoleum Metallic Silver is also a wonderful color. Very much of a metalflake appearance as opposed to most other silvers.

In general I prefer Krylon paints because they go on thinner and dry more rapidly than other rattlecan paints. But, unfortunately, you can't use Krylon Clear over Excelsior decals. It just eats them up. So anything I'm planning to use Fred's decals on I have to use Rustoleum.

But now that Krylon is changing, I'll have to re-evaluate. The "recoat anytime" approach fit into my life way better than their new <1 hr or >24 hr regimen.

I agree, and also am disappointed at the increased dry time. But it's nice to hear what you say about Rustoleum clear coat. I have an Aerobee 300 with Excelsior decals on it that still needs a clear coat, but I wasn't sure what to use.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Steve,

Just to make sure the clear coat doesn't eat my decals, I clear coat the decals with Future first....haven't had a problem.