Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 PM
BP Mafia

Default NARAM pics - Day Three

Monday was a much slower paced day on the sport range, and MAN, was it hot! One kid rode his bike there and was puking by the RSO tent before lunch. They eventually called an ambulance for him. Some neat flights of clones and originals. Once again, the pictures say it better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cool Big Bertha upscale made from a Fat Boy.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  369.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Q Modeling EAC Viper ignition.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  332.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Q Modeling Mars Snooper ignition (treed it).jpg
Views: 131
Size:  343.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Just missed the Q Modeling Andromeda launch.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  314.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Q Modeling Andromeda.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  359.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Handmade Astron Interceptor.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  374.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dudley Do Right ignition.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  317.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Jim Flis' upscale Porta Pad.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  328.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Bunny's SPEV on a C6-5.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  312.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Bunny Does housekeeping around the pads.jpg
Size:  340.8 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-01-2005, 05:24 PM
BP Mafia

And a few more from Day Three. The Q Modeling kits have had some impressive flights so far, but some lousy luck at the same time. The Mars Snooper treed itself after a sideways boost and a Rogue took a beating yesterday when the chute didn't deploy. They seem to have issues getting the chute to eject. The Saturn V here belongs to Pittsburgh's Jerry Krauss, who has been one of my best customers, flying a carload of originals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V launch.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  322.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V recovery.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  298.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V lower section in recovery.jpg
Size:  297.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Sharp scratch build.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  334.7 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Monday was a much slower paced day on the sport range, and MAN, was it hot! One kid rode his bike there and was puking by the RSO tent before lunch. They eventually called an ambulance for him. Some neat flights of clones and originals. Once again, the pictures say it better.

Oooo, I'll bet that smelled good.

How did Jim Flis's huge styrofoam cup rocket fly?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-02-2005, 06:38 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Oooo, I'll bet that smelled good.

How did Jim Flis's huge styrofoam cup rocket fly?

Dudley flew fine, but the nding was a little rough. One of the legs broke off of the big Porta-Pad, but no one knows exactly how. I think it got hung up a little and lifted with the rocket.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
One of the legs broke off of the big Porta-Pad, but no one knows exactly how. I think it got hung up a little and lifted with the rocket.
Tell us more about the big Porta-Pad. It's pretty kewl. Whose was it? There's a faint idea in the cobwebs of my mind that I've seen that thing before, but I'm not sure. I'm kinda inspired to wanna build one, but I already have way too many of those kind of ideas/projects that don't really advance my state of the art :(

For example, I've got this idea for a three motor cluster (BT-60) with three one-finned boosters. The boosters will use flutter recovery sorta like the Estes Tornado. The sustainer will use an xNC-60AH (ie, Omega style) NC. I've got both a plastic one and a balsa (BMS) one. Anyway, I started playing with it in Rocksim, but in an upscale form using three 24mm motors and Firefox's RTB-225 (2.25" id). It's there that I found yet another Rocksim "feature" <grrrr>

Anyway, if I was in the classroom, the teacher would be slapping me for daydreaming when I should be focussed on the my L2 projects. They're both getting to the lots-of-sanding stage, and I've been nursing a cold for over a week now, and am in no mood to be breathing sanding dust lately.

Hope you're having fun at Naram, Bill. The field looks awesome, and the weather superb.

BR,
Doug
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:

Is there a medical or first aid tent there, or is it just, "Hey, this kid keeps puking. Think we should do anything about it?"
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Tell us more about the big Porta-Pad. It's pretty kewl. Whose was it? There's a faint idea in the cobwebs of my mind that I've seen that thing before, but I'm not sure. I'm kinda inspired to wanna build one, but I already have way too many of those kind of ideas/projects that don't really advance my state of the art

For example, I've got this idea for a three motor cluster (BT-60) with three one-finned boosters. The boosters will use flutter recovery sorta like the Estes Tornado. The sustainer will use an xNC-60AH (ie, Omega style) NC. I've got both a plastic one and a balsa (BMS) one. Anyway, I started playing with it in Rocksim, but in an upscale form using three 24mm motors and Firefox's RTB-225 (2.25" id). It's there that I found yet another Rocksim "feature" <grrrr>

Anyway, if I was in the classroom, the teacher would be slapping me for daydreaming when I should be focussed on the my L2 projects. They're both getting to the lots-of-sanding stage, and I've been nursing a cold for over a week now, and am in no mood to be breathing sanding dust lately.

Hope you're having fun at Naram, Bill. The field looks awesome, and the weather superb.

BR,
Doug

The Porta-Pad belongs to Jim Flis. It's a pretty amazing looking project. Dead on a 1:1 pad.
As for fun, I've yet to fly anything. I've been RSO'ing for four days straight. I can't get there until after lunch tomorrow, so I'll do lunch relief and fly a few if the opportunity presents itself. Despite the constant work, I've been having a good time. The only gripes I've had have come when some people have traipsed off into the brush for an hour and left their kids for us to look after. The RSO job is one I take seriously and I think it's an insult for some airhead to consider us glorified babysitters. Granted, there's a need for shade on the field, but if you don't have enough sense to bring a canopy, that's your tough luck. The LCO/RSO tent isn't a place to hang out underfoot in for your personal comfort. Then again, that's one man's opinion. (He happens to be right, but it's still an opinion. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Is there a medical or first aid tent there, or is it just, "Hey, this kid keeps puking. Think we should do anything about it?"

No medical/aid tent on the field. He was sent into the shade by one of the NAR elders, and I believe someone over where he went eventually called the life squad.
I did make it a point to say "Some kid puked there. You might want to move."
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Once you get to feeling bad, you're screwed. No amount of fluid intake will help you catch back up.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile QModeling NARAM Flights

NERRF this pasted June we had 13 flights with no deployment issues. The only issues we had were a CATO that ultimately did in our MRS-STILETTO, deploying our MRS-NIKEX into a drainage ditch a 1 million to 1 shot given the acreage out there, and almost losing our MRS-WACC because we decided to play with the high power dudes and shoot it off with a F21. Again we had no deployment issues that day.

A month and a half later we go to NARAM and out of 12 flights we had 4 poor ejections where the parachute was left stuck in the tip of the Main Body Tube. This all started happening on Monday the 3rd day of flying. The previous two days we didn’t have one half deployment issue, but did have a couple of tangled deployments that righted at the last second.

It all started on the third day of flights when we decided to do parallel testing of our MRS-WACC and MRS-ROGUE. We wanted to climb the ladder of impulse from C to E. We started out with Estes C11-3, motors we have successfully flown the MRS-WACC and MRS-ROGUE with before.

Both flights were great until the parachutes didn’t fully eject out of the Main Body Tubes. The Nose Cones were ejected but not the recovery systems. The ejection charges even sounded weak. Both rockets hit the ground hard but survived. With just a little field repair both rockets were able to continue the testing.

Next we threw D12-5’s into each rocket. Again the flights were great until the parachutes didn’t fully eject. About 50’ from the ground the MRS-WACC chute did emerge and landed under deployment. The MRS-ROGUE took another beating. This time no field repair was necessary, but we decided to stop the testing before our luck totally ran out.

We moved onto just having fun doing some sports flying starting with our soon to be release MRS-ANDROMEDA. This beauty stands at over 72” tall and is Prototype #2. A side note we still have Prototype #1, but we made some minor mods based on our 4th of July testing. We flew Prototype #2 twice at NARAM 47 and had two great spectacular flights with absolutely no damage. The only downer was forgetting to add tape to the nose cone to create a tight fit for flight (ejection happens at the mid point). Again we couldn’t ask for better flights.

We then flew the MRS-SNOOPER on a E9-4. We can’t explain the arc flight it took or again why the parachute didn’t fully come out of the Main Body Tube. Unfortunately it landed in a un-climb-able tree way to high for a telescoping pole. Chan Stevens and crew now have a free MRS-SNOOPER if they get the fire department back to get it out of the tree.

The deployment issues we had were simply weird. We have been flying our kits since June of 2002 and never had half deployment issues. We have had tangled chutes, broken shock cords, and the host of other deployment horrors as you run through various test plans and try to avoid Mr. Murphy, but not half deployment issues. The MRS-WACC and MRS-ROGUE our BT-60 designs employing 18” chutes and 6” Nomex heat shields. The MRS-SNOOPER is a BT-60 design employing a 30” chute and 9” Nomex heat shield. Now before we start thinking that maybe the recovery systems are packed to tight the MRS-ANDROMEDA is a BT-60 design with BT-52 Main Body Tubing and we pack a 30” chute and 9” Nomex heat shield in the Main Body Tube.

Yes we had deployment issues, but we were definately impressed with our engine mount engineering. You don't typically walk away from dead plumets able to fly again. The MRS-WACC and MRS-ROGUE did. We however are hoping the vine on the tree takes it over.

So we have the following questions:

- Do ejection charges vary?

-Can a lose recovery system enable enough gas to pass by to prevent it from fully ejecting?

- Does it make sense to tie the parachute closer to the nose cone so that when it pops off it helps pull the chute out?

- Do main body tubes need to be cleaned so often and powdered?

- Should we include baffles in all our kits to make a parachute compartment near the nose? We do in our taller designs like the MRS-STILETTO and MRS-NIKEX.

- Does Murphy just show up at events like NARAM 47 to embarrass you?

Thanks for any input.

Tom Quinn
QModeling, President/Sales
Old 08-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Banana Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmodeling
So we have the following questions:
-Do ejection charges vary?

Definitely. I had an E9 engine that barely had enough oomph to break the clay cap that covers the ejection charge. It was just enough to blow the nose off my Executioner, but not enough to eject the chute. It free-fell a long ways until finally the drag on the nose cone was enough to pull the chute free and inflate about 100 feet up.

Quote:
-Can a lose recovery system enable enough gas to pass by to prevent it from fully ejecting?

Yes. Are you using the original 30-inch chutes on the WACC and ROGUE, or did you switch to the new 18-inch? The 30-inch is a pretty snug fit in a BT-60 and is less likely to allow gas to flow past. The 18-inch might let the gas pass, but it should be easier for the nose cone momentum to pull it free.

Quote:
- Does it make sense to tie the parachute closer to the nose cone so that when it pops off it helps pull the chute out?

Yes. See my first answer.

Quote:
- Do main body tubes need to be cleaned so often and powdered?

It seems like it wouldn't hurt, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
- Should we include baffles in all our kits to make a parachute compartment near the nose? We do in our taller designs like the MRS-STILETTO and MRS-NIKEX.

When you say baffles, you mean a ledge to keep the chute near the nose, not a ducted port to reroute and cool the ejection gas. I wouldn't think it would be necessary on the WACC or ROGUE, but it might not hurt.

Quote:
- Does Murphy just show up at events like NARAM 47 to embarrass you?

No, he shows up everywhere all the time. But he puts in extended guest appearances at big events, like Santa Claus in a shopping mall in December.