Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 AM
BoRocker!

#255 flew at 10am on the 4th. Perfect flight all round'. After I clean off a bit of soot she will be sitting on my desk at work happily retired.
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Anson Heinlein
"Its a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" - MacBeth
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica
#255 flew at 10am on the 4th. Perfect flight all round'. After I clean off a bit of soot she will be sitting on my desk at work happily retired.

I'm not even going to clean the soot off. Building a display case for rocket and certificate to hang in a place of prominence(SP?). Ok....it'll hang in the bedroom....
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Cool

For those of you with poor vision (like me) that can't see in the video the Scout tumbling down here the sequence in pictures:

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Launched flight #0071 on a 1/4 A3-4T in a A6 casing, perfect flight, perfect tumble recovery.
Launched flight #0072 on the same engine configuration, perfect flight, ballistic recovery as engine and shim wedged up in body tube, crinkled body tube, both will be retired to a display case yet to be built.
There will be an internal investigation on the cause of recovery malfunction.
I'm sure it will take month before any cause or blame is found as department heads like to shift the blame to other departments.

genimijim
(aka Jim)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout 024.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  120.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout 020.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  128.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout 025.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  128.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout 027.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  121.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout3 002.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  115.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  goldenscout2 002.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  110.2 KB  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
BAR 13790

Default Flew & lost mine today

I finsihed mine and flew it today (along with my EMRR Box of Parts rocket). The Golden Scout went up and directly into the sun. There was only me and my son. We looked over the field with no luck. On the edge of the field is a tall weed field (they were at least 3 feet tall). I thought my last view was the rocket heading into that direction. I assume it is in there, and unless I step on it you would never see it.

At least I got to participate in the build and a July flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BOP Painted 017.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  63.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  BOP Painted 019.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  42.5 KB  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Finaly more flight reports are coming in

Sorry to read about the lose of one Scout

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
BAR

At our WOOSH club launch Saturday 7/5, around a half-dozen golden scouts were launched, most of them on 1/2A6-2 motors. All were recovered, though at least 2 lawn darted. One member has #50, which lawndarted with the motor, crunching the BT a bit. My #292, complete with balsa shim, kicked the motor, and hit a gravel road ballistic. When I picked it up, a couple stones were embedded in the NC, but otherwise intact. Undeterred, I removed the stones, bent the hook a bit more, and the 2nd flight tumbled successfully (woohoo!) I then put up a scout clone, on a 1/2A3-2, thinking it would have a bit less ejection force. This one had the motor bounce back from the hook, and came in ballistic.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Like so many others, I too flew my Golden Scout (#967) this past weekend. I had hoped for a July 4th launch, but weather and family outings got in the way. Finally on Sunday evening I was able to get in a few flights at the closest launch site at hand...the back yard.

It flew three times. The first was on a 1/4A3-3T.

The second on an old Centuri 1/4A4-2M (date code of 1976...forget which month, but it dates from the year I first got involved with rocketry...I still have those motors as they arrived by mistake, I'd ordered a different motor and didn't have any models that flew these at the time).

The final flight was on a 1/2A6-2.

The mini motors were glued into empty 1/2A6 casings and all flights exhibited a nice tumble. The 1/2A6 showed the markings of "bounce back"...you could see where the hook dented the rear of the motor and swelled the casing out a bit. Overall a very nice little rocket and a lot of fun to fly.

Craig
Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default two scouts launced in NJ

Golden scouts #748 and #749 were launched in the Garden State on the 4th of July.

We used 1/2a6-2 's on both. Even with shims the engines kicked out. Rockets and engines were recovered without problem.

I had applied foil tape to the fins to avoid burning, but some charring occurred.

Both are sitting on top of the bookcase, waiting for the certificates. We probably will not fly them again, but rather hold on to them.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I'm at the point of prepping my 18mm casings, having drilled out the clay from eight. Now comes a question:

I see that most of you are flying with 1/4 A3-3, 1/2 A3-2, and 1/2 A3-4 motors. Has there been enough experience with the Golden Scout to say which of these motors produce the most successful flights? Or, just the most pleasing flights?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635