Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Has anyone ever seen these plans?

I've got the three on the right, Ganymede, Little Beth X-2, and Starship Excalibur, but has anyone ever seen plans for the three on the left? I'm sure I could whip something up, but I'm guessing they existed in some form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  estp741.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  25.6 KB  
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I've got the three on the right, Ganymede, Little Beth X-2, and Starship Excalibur, but has anyone ever seen plans for the three on the left? I'm sure I could whip something up, but I'm guessing they existed in some form.

I think the middle boost glidey-looking thing is the only one that has never been isolated. I thought the others were part of the JimZ site, but now I'm not so sure. We covered this on OldRockets once.

I just checked, and the one at the bottom that I thought looked familiar was the Argus 2, but it's a little different.

Guess you'd better "get whippin'".

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 08-23-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Old School Rocketeer

What's the one on the top left, and where can we find it?

Thanks,
EV
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I just checked, and the one at the bottom that I thought looked familiar was the Argus 2, but it's a little different.

Fins are a lot different. Plus, no T tail on the Argus II. Different beast all together. I've been collecting these number plans for years and have everything on Jimz plus what Scott has. Those three are unaccounted for.

The top left one looks like it's wearing Skydart scoops on the sides.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The one on the lower left looks similar (but a little shorter) to a kit Estes produced in the 80's called the Orbital Interceptor.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...a/81est032.html
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

The one on the upper left looks very similar to a plan that a friend of mine sent in to the DOM contest in the early 1970s. He didn't win but came in second. He received a gift certificate for it. The kit name was “Intrepid.” His name is Paul Simpson.

I seem to recall his name being mentioned in an Estes newsletter but can't remember exactly.
Also, I don't know whether or not the parts catalog was out before that. His design might have been based on that model instead of the other way around.

rraeford
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Administrator

That parts catalog came out in the early 70's as well, so it could be your friends design. Pretty cool design and certainly worth cloning.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Default The plans!

I do not thank they were ever made into plans. Years ago I purchased the Estes Futuristic Parts Assortment, that had rocket parts, body tubes and futuristic nose cones. In the Assortment box was 2 pages of drawings of rockets that could be built with the parts,2 of the three rockets you are talking about are on the sheets plus 5 others. The Assortment box also had 2 sheets of fin patterns of the rockets.

If you would like I can post them on YORS as soon as he catches up with what I have already have sent him? Her is a low resolution scan of the two pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FPA Page 1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  469.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FPA page 2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  428.2 KB  

Last edited by Arley Davis : 09-02-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
I do not thank they were ever made into plans. Years ago I purchased the Estes Futuristic Parts Assortment, that had rocket parts, body tubes and futuristic nose cones. In the Assortment box was 2 pages of drawings of rockets that could be built with the parts,2 of the three rockets you are talking about are on the sheets plus 5 others. The Assortment box also had 2 sheets of fin patterns of the rockets.

If you would like I can post them on YORS as soon as he catches up with what I have already have sent him? Her is a low resolution scan of the two pages.

Thanks Arley, but I've already scanned this for Scott.
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Estes/FPA/Future.pdf

I don't think any of the missing three resemble the rockets on that Idea Sheet. I agree that the plans were probably never released unless they were tossed in mail orders like the McKibbens Special plan sheet. That plan was never published in MRN, but I got a copy in a mail order package around the mid-80's.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Arley,

I'd love to see pictures or scans of the fin patterns that came with the Futuristic Parts Assortment, if you please.

Thanks,
EV