Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Saturn 1b kit by KDS?

I bought a Saturn 1b kit on eBay 8 yrs ago or more. It isn't an Estes kit, although the instructions are copies of the Estes kit. I remember that the eBay description touted the kit as a big deal because of who was offering it. The only clue I have about the seller is that the decal sheet has "KDS" and "1998" on it.
Does anyone know anything more about this kit? Is it special, or just some kind of hybrid?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 AM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballXL5
I bought a Saturn 1b kit on eBay 8 yrs ago or more. It isn't an Estes kit, although the instructions are copies of the Estes kit. I remember that the eBay description touted the kit as a big deal because of who was offering it. The only clue I have about the seller is that the decal sheet has "KDS" and "1998" on it.
Does anyone know anything more about this kit? Is it special, or just some kind of hybrid?
Thanks for your help.

My money is on the KosRox Saturn 1B (clone). He doesn't make any kits anymore but here is his site (last updated 12/31/03): http://www.tela.com/~dtkostron/
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 AM
GET GOONY!!

KDS means the decal set is Kurt Schachner's. I know he drew them, but do not know if he printed them. Sounds like Kosrox to me as well. I have two sets of Sat 1b tubes from Kosrox, and never got around to building the kit. I gguess now that SEMROC sells a complete kit, I may not ever get around to it....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Master Modeler

Yes, that was a "kit" that I put together back in 1998. IIRC there were 14 of us that went in on getting sets of those tubes made because at the time none were available. The decals were drawn by me (from a scan of the originals) and were screen printed by After Hours Graphics in Ohio. They're no longer in business BTW, which is unfortunate because they did fantastic work. The capsule parts were cast by JimZ .

After I put the basic kit together, additional mission decals were made available as were the standard size tubes.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

I have built and flown the KOSROX kit, and the instructions were not copies of the Estes kit. in fact, the model was not a clone of the old Estes K-29. It was more of an up-scale of the more recent 1/100-scale Estes Saturn 1B.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Kurt, Wow - thanks for the info. The Saturn 1b is such a cool rocket and has always been my favorite.
Is this the KOSROX kit everyone seems to think it is?
Also, most of the instructions included appear to me to be copies from the original Estes kit. Is that true?
Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Kurt, Wow - thanks for the info. The Saturn 1b is such a cool rocket and has always been my favorite.
Is this the KOSROX kit everyone seems to think it is?
Also, most of the instructions included appear to me to be copies from the original Estes kit. Is that true?
Thanks again.

No, it isn't the Kosrox kit. The kit you have is entirely different than what Damian did for his kit (Kosrox).

What I did was to contact (IIRC) 10 people I knew from the Internet (mostly r.m.r) that were into old rockets. I asked if they would be interested in going together in getting 100 sets of then-unavailable tubes made up to clone the old Estes Saturn 1b. In the end I think we had about 14 people join the collective which was OK, since the tube manufacturer sent more than the 100 sets I paid for. I also had the decals screen printed and like I mentioned, JimZ resin cast the Apollo capsule parts. This was because BMS was not able to manufacture those balsa pieces as required. I then redrew all the original Estes patterns and rings and included a clean copy of the instruction sheets with each set.

The kits were never "for sale" as such. Each group member got 10 (or whatever it was) sets as part of their deal and what they did with them after that was up to them. I know some got sold on eBay or various other places. One of the group members went back to the tube manufacturer and had the rest of the tubes made up, and IIRC offered them for sale at a later time.

The decals were the shining star of that deal. After Hours Graphics did just a fantastic job screen printing them at a very decent price. Screen printing is the way to go for decals. Not to knock Alps printing (I have two of the printers) but you can't reproduce all colors with them and the prints are very soft and prone to scratching. Screen printed decals are far better in this respect.

See what we had to go through to clone old kits before Semroc?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
The kits were never "for sale" as such. Each group member got 10 (or whatever it was) sets as part of their deal and what they did with them after that was up to them. I know some got sold on eBay or various other places. One of the group members went back to the tube manufacturer and had the rest of the tubes made up, and IIRC offered them for sale at a later time.

I still have my 1b "kit" I got from you back in '98 soon after I joined WOOSH.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM
A Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner

What I did was to contact (IIRC) 10 people I knew from the Internet (mostly r.m.r) that were into old rockets. I asked if they would be interested in going together in getting 100 sets of then-unavailable tubes made up to clone the old Estes Saturn 1b. In the end I think we had about 14 people join the collective which was OK, since the tube manufacturer sent more than the 100 sets I paid for. I also had the decals screen printed and like I mentioned, JimZ resin cast the Apollo capsule parts. This was because BMS was not able to manufacture those balsa pieces as required. I then redrew all the original Estes patterns and rings and included a clean copy of the instruction sheets with each set.

Kurt,

I was one of the guys that went in on the deal and had some of the tubes ordered that we divided up. I still have my tubes in the basement . Never got around to building one yet. maybe soon. (Could be a winter project for me.) And I have a Kosrox kit as well (and a Semroc kit).

Greg
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
Kurt,

I was one of the guys that went in on the deal and had some of the tubes ordered that we divided up. I still have my tubes in the basement . Never got around to building one yet. maybe soon. (Could be a winter project for me.) And I have a Kosrox kit as well (and a Semroc kit).

Greg

Hi Greg,

PM me if you get a chance.

gelder?