Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool
ok, so what is the difference between kit bashing and cloning? i thought they were the same ....

Briefly, cloning is making the same rocket, but out of availabe parts, to be as true to the original as possible. Kitbashing is making one rocket (kit) to resemble another, such as a Bullpup to look like an MMX missile.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
GET GOONY!!

Strictly speaking: kitbashing is when you take a kit, and modify ('bash') it into another model (like turning a Baby Bertha into a Goonybird).

Cloning is when you collect parts and build a model from scratch, to be just like an OOP model.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

got it. thanks guys! don't want to look stupid at the next club launch!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

And.....if you're looking for something in particular, you can always got to the "Wanted Dead or Alive" section of the forum and ask if anyone has the kit. Then work out a deal. We have a tendacy to part with things here cheaper than we would on E-Bay because we know they are going to a good home....
Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

yeah, i REALLY want the Estes Silver Comet and posted for it already. Fingers crossed ... !
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Master Modeler

I would think the difference between cloning and kit bashing would be the use of authentic OEM parts. Cloning a Gooneybird would be using a Semroc balsa nose cone vs kit bashing and using an original Estes plastic nose cone. I think cloning is much easier and less expensive than trying to kit bash. As a matter of fact Semroc has some of the Goonies all ready. I am currently only building original old Estes kits and it is real expensive to purchase these kits. I have found some great bargains at garage sales and thrift shops. I will admit even though these kits go for 30 to 125.00 dollars, it is still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies. You can also try this website, a little expensive but great service. http://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/...roducts_id=1585
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

A clone can be kit-bashed, but a kit bash doesn't have to be a clone.

Several of my "original" rockets were kitbashed.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

No, Kit-bashing is totally opposite from cloning.

Kit-bashing is taking a kit and making a totally different rocket out of it. The resulting rocket does not have to be something that previously existed, and you may add additional parts (though you may get less respect for it!)

For example:

Phred's Goonys are kit bashes, usually of Baby Bertha kits.
A few people made Canadian Arrows out of Estes 2.6" V-2's and Silver Comets well before Estes came out with their own.
Estes themselves have kit bashed at times. The SPEV is essentially a double kit bash (of a Little Joe II and a Thor Agena B with one extra part), and the Firecat (an EAC offering of the late 70's) was a kit-bash (with maybe an extra part) of an Estes/Vashon Honest John.
SoAR club member Sam Boden made a great kit bash of an Estes Rubicon, that he called the "Saturn Wanna-Be" (http://www.soarrocketry.org/Multime...ch/target1.html )

Cloning is taking parts from various sources (possibly including existing kits) and making a rocket that previously existed (and may still). The clone can be an upscale or downscale of the original.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I would think the difference between cloning and kit bashing would be the use of authentic OEM parts. Cloning a Gooneybird would be using a Semroc balsa nose cone vs kit bashing and using an original Estes plastic nose cone. I think cloning is much easier and less expensive than trying to kit bash.
The key, I think, is recognizing that kit-bashing is usually one form of cloning.

Part of the problem is the multiple meanings of many rocketry terms. "Scratch" may refer to how the materials for a clone were sourced, or it may refer to the origin of a design.

In the case of kit bashing, you might build a clone by 1) assembling it from scratch, 2) using a clone kit, or 3) bashing an existing kit into the clone.

As stated elsewhere, bashing isn't limited to building clones. A kit may be bashed into an original design as well. Where I've heard it used is often in the context of scale rockets. A Comet or Canadian Arrow can be bashed into a V-2.

In my case, perhaps incorrectly, I sometimes use the term bash to refer to making modifications to a kit. I'll add vent holes and modify booster stagers for gap staging or to improve recovery, as well as other changes to improve the performance or ruggedization of a kit, and call it bashing.

Anyway, because there are multiple interpratations of the terms, it's not always perfectly clear what's meant

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

royatl's explanation makes more sense to me. if you BASH a kit you are changing (bashing) it. if you CLONE you are making an exact copy, most likely with non-original parts (otherwise you'd wouldn't clone, you just make the original!)