Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Estes Double Trouble Kit on Ebay

RD, I direct your attention to a kit currently selling on Ebay.............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Is this legitimate? Do you ever remember seeing Estes 'kitting' their old DOM rocket plans? This thing doesn't even have a price on it, and the only Estes kits I have ever seen without a price were the special 'Bonus' kits. So is this for real? If not, the Ebay 'fraud squad' should be notified at once so that some unsuspecting collector doesn't get burned. Any comments you have would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986

Is this legitimate? Do you ever remember seeing Estes 'kitting' their old DOM rocket plans? This thing doesn't even have a price on it, and the only Estes kits I have ever seen without a price were the special 'Bonus' kits. So is this for real? If not, the Ebay 'fraud squad' should be notified at once so that some unsuspecting collector doesn't get burned. Any comments you have would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe

YIKES!!! Could it have been a promo/give-away for one of the NARAM's? The header tag is rare enough, but if it's a legitimate kit .........

Looks to be un-opened - kinda hard to stuff parts and instructions into a bag and re-seal it
with that kind of tag (not to say it could't be done). Looking at the other stuf f this guy has on auction, it's unlikely he's trying to sucker anyone. I wonder where he found it?

S.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:

Joe

this indeed is an "oddity"; if not a rarity.

terry dean
Old 09-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

The real giveaway is the title of the instructions in the bag:
... Rocket Plan #30

I remember this plan as a kid, and I have a copy of it in my collection. A friend of mine built this, about the same time I built the Augie II. This plan is from the mid-60s.

While it might be fun to build this and have all the parts supplied by this person, it is no "super find" of an old kit, and it is worth the price of components only. JimZ site could get you a copy of the plan.

Buyer Beware!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
The real giveaway is the title of the instructions in the bag:
... Rocket Plan #30

I remember this plan as akid, and I have a copy of it in my collection. A friend of mine built this, about the same time I built the Augie II. This plan is from the mid-60s.

While it might be fun to build this and have all the parts supplied by this person, it is no "super find" of an old kit, and it is worth the price of components only. JimZ site could get you a copy of the plan.

Buyer Beware!

I disagree - if this is a real kit put out by Estes, then it's extremely rare. Just about ANY old Estes kit is just a bag of parts that can be bought nowadays. It's the fact that it's bagged and sealed that makes it valuable to a collector.

S.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I disagree - if this is a real kit put out by Estes, then it's extremely rare. Just about ANY old Estes kit is just a bag of parts that can be bought nowadays. It's the fact that it's bagged and sealed that makes it valuable to a collector.

S.

Anyone with a "Seal-A-Meal" could make up a supposedly "sealed" kit.

Estes would not put out a "bag of parts" with their "free kit" instructions. Where is the cardboard insert? Anyone bidding on this needs proof that it came from Estes, and not some unscrupulous person trying to make a fast buck off someone.

Someone put up the proof, and I'll eat my words.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

I think Lee's caution is warranted...............unless this thing can be verified as a legitimate Estes 'kit' (if so, it had to be a handout, as suggested by Sean, because it has no printed price) it should be viewed with some suspicion. On the other hand, if it is legit, it is most certainly rare, and will go for a price far beyond the value of its components. So hey, Sean and Lee, you're both right!

Joe
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Estes would not put out a "bag of parts" with their "free kit" instructions. Where is the cardboard insert?

I could be wrong, but the hang tag indicates this came out (IF it came out ) before Estes used cardboard inserts. This was when Estes used the instructuions as seen in this kit.

Quote:
Anyone bidding on this needs proof that it came from Estes, and not some unscrupulous person trying to make a fast buck off someone.

I agree - we need more information.

S.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:41 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Estes would not put out a "bag of parts" with their "free kit" instructions. Where is the cardboard insert? Anyone bidding on this needs proof that it came from Estes, and not some unscrupulous person trying to make a fast buck off someone.

if the header tag is to be believed, it is from the era *before* cardboard inserts, when the instructions were printed with the title card on them (the same way Semroc does now).

Still, this doesn't strike me as legit, though they could have been done for some special order. The people here who would know are Bill Simon (don't know if he's recently logged on), and Vern & Gleda, who are probably reading the forum under another name.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

Joe

Joe

I would be very suspicious of this one. In over 44 years in the hobby, I have never seen anything such as this.

From the header, it would have had a carboard insert, as mentioned, if you would carefully take the header apart and reseal it, you coulp put anything into a bog and try to sell it.

As also mentioned, this was from a MRN, and "kit 30" is not a kit, just a design. I guess anyone could "kit" a kit and try to sell it as an original.

I will try to find out about this "oddity".

RD

Check out the seller ID "sillysusancat" with only 3 feedbacks, also, look at the other items that the seller has up for bid. An Estes launcher and many metal trucks etc.