Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
jsprague's Avatar
jsprague jsprague is offline
Way Olde Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 6
Thumbs up ten at once, never again

As John said, we had a few paint, problems. With the 'black' tubes already painted, it made a difference where one set the wrap line. And murphy got us big time, we thought we had four boosters with the wrong reference, but we actually have six that are wrong. 50/50 and an extra one butter side down. But we are well on the way to recovery. Two of the 'black-2-white' rounds went home with someone else to feather the black edges. (we were super efficient and had already masked the USA rectangle, now that has to be undone also) And we are finding that all the detail parts need special edge treatment. So all will be back to white real-soon-now and we can continue with the black this week and weekend.

Eight of our ten rounds, (2 in-work off premmesis) with John's 'Boilerplate' round on right, and Bill's 'originial' unit built 'many' years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Progress at Sep29.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  70.0 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 PM
jtaylor's Avatar
jtaylor jtaylor is offline
Random Part-Time Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dyer
...5 weekends...


FIVE weekends? Wow - either you guys got a head start or we got a late start. This upcoming weekend is only our third, not to mention I am out of town for this weekend.
__________________
Jeff Taylor
MASA Section 576
NAR 87148 L1
SAM 160
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM
zog139 zog139 is offline
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 192
Default

John why would you not paint the tubes black if you started over ? This worked well for me on the second model I built. Just curious what you and others have to say.


I am still juggling the idea of painting the fins prior to attachment.


Guess I gotta get rolling here soon, the deadline is coming.



Jim
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
John Dyer John Dyer is offline
Red River Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
John why would you not paint the tubes black if you started over ? This worked well for me on the second model I built. Just curious what you and others have to say.


I am still juggling the idea of painting the fins prior to attachment.


Guess I gotta get rolling here soon, the deadline is coming.



Jim



If I remember correctly, the Estes instructions actually told you to paint the tubes before assembly. We've run into so much trouble (times 10) with the prepainted tubes, that I'd rather fuss with more masking tape, but thats my preference.

John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
barone's Avatar
barone barone is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 3,041
Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default

Well, base white coat still tacky today. Cold front coming in tonight. Sure hope I don't have a humidity issue when it's time to apply the black paint.........
__________________
Don
NAR 53455
"Carpe Diem"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
John Dyer John Dyer is offline
Red River Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well, base white coat still tacky today. Cold front coming in tonight. Sure hope I don't have a humidity issue when it's time to apply the black paint.........



Do you have a room that is warm that you can put the model into, or is it still outgassing to much?


John
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM
barone's Avatar
barone barone is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 3,041
Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dyer
Do you have a room that is warm that you can put the model into, or is it still outgassing to much?


John

I'm keeping it in my bedroom. The AC should help keep the humidity down and with the ceiling fan going, I was hoping it would speed the curing time. I'm going to try the black on one of the fins tomorrow and see what happens. One fin to fix is easier than the entire model.
__________________
Don
NAR 53455
"Carpe Diem"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
dwmzmm's Avatar
dwmzmm dwmzmm is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprague
As John said, we had a few paint, problems. With the 'black' tubes already painted, it made a difference where one set the wrap line. And murphy got us big time, we thought we had four boosters with the wrong reference, but we actually have six that are wrong. 50/50 and an extra one butter side down. But we are well on the way to recovery. Two of the 'black-2-white' rounds went home with someone else to feather the black edges. (we were super efficient and had already masked the USA rectangle, now that has to be undone also) And we are finding that all the detail parts need special edge treatment. So all will be back to white real-soon-now and we can continue with the black this week and weekend.

Eight of our ten rounds, (2 in-work off premmesis) with John's 'Boilerplate' round on right, and Bill's 'originial' unit built 'many' years ago.


That's why you guys (and gals) can see my Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B in the background of my pic. I've been using it for reference (along with other sources) as I'm putting this big thing together. I think it's better to paint the fuel tubes prior to assembly, you just have to pay attention where the Pos. I, II, III & IIII locations are as far as the fins and body wraps. Where Pos. I is, I drew a very light, straight line with a pencil so all of my wraps will start on one side and end on the other. There is a way to mask off those fuel
tubes so the rest of the model can get that all important base white coat.

That's it for now, I'll be back later this evening with more (my kid needs/wants to get on the computer now.... )
__________________
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.
Section Advisor
Old Rocketeers # 724
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Mark II's Avatar
Mark II Mark II is offline
Forest Sprite
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back Up in the Woods
Posts: 3,657
Default

I'm just entering the tunnel now...

I decided to prepaint the tank tubes before gluing them on. Sounds like something that should have been simple, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I keep running into unexpected snags. (For one thing, it's hard to spray paint in the rain! ) That recoat time of New Krylon is starting to impact my timeline, as well. Missing 5 days of build time while I was away from home at a conference didn't help, either.

I'm really, really counting on everything else going together without a hitch. And it will probably work out that way, too, right? Right?

Mark \\.
__________________
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic Advice Unsullied by Erudition Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
chanstevens's Avatar
chanstevens chanstevens is offline
Rocket buildin' machine
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
John why would you not paint the tubes black if you started over ? This worked well for me on the second model I built. Just curious what you and others have to say.


I am still juggling the idea of painting the fins prior to attachment.


Guess I gotta get rolling here soon, the deadline is coming.



Jim


Jim:

I've tried each way on the Semroc, and while it's definitely a matter of peronal preference, I lean towards attaching first, painting/masking later. Pre-painting the fins is definitely easier on the painting of both the fins and the shroud, but I still had very slight alignment issues where the white/black borders on the fins might not exactly match same on the fin can despite measuring what I felt was very carefully. More of a factor to me, though, was the fillets. I went with a very subtle (applied with a .5mm syringe) white glue fillet that dried clear, and it just didn't look as sharp as a fillet that had been painted over. I touched 'em up by hand, but my brus is nowhere near as pretty as my airbrush.

YMMV...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018