Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Modeler

Default The problem with Estes new Decals

Since the new Der Red Max, My self and others have noticed the poor quality with Estes new waterslide decals. For the life of me I just couldn't figure out the problem. I was doing what the directions said and even applied liquid decal film. Some time back Estes sent me over 20 Der Red Max decals saying they fixed the problems. Well they did add the white decals and added a thicker clear coat. The decals were still a pain to use. Well by chance I found the problem with the new decals is the last coat of clear coat Estes puts on the decal. This clear coats is the clear film you see around the decal, it keeps the silk screen ink together when the decal slides off after being in water. Well the problem is the clear film is not sticking to the ink. I have no problem peeling off the clear coat from all the decals on the sheet, dry.....Well with the film off, the decal cannot be used since it will fall apart. I also tried this with my Solar Flare and Interceptor and the same problem is noted. So this is the reason you have a hard time applying the decal. Using Decal Film does not help since the film Estes puts on is not adhering to the decal. So I took off all the clear film and I am applying Decal film to the decal, just like you would with Alps decals. I will see if this works. The film that Estes puts on should not scratch or peel off. Try it with one of your own Der Red Max or Interceptor decals see if the clear peels right off. I will keep you posted of my experiments.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Since the new Der Red Max, My self and others have noticed the poor quality with Estes new waterslide decals.
Wonder if the decals are made in China?

The kits seem to be of the same quality as when they were made in the States. For example, the kraft tubes seem to be as good as ever. But, given all the problems with Chinese QC, I wonder if that's part of the decal problems.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Master Modeler

I wrote to Estes so we will see what they have to say. I have a decal now that I peeled all the film off of and I am on my second coat of liquid decal film. I am going to try for 4 coats and then try the decal out. If it works this screw up won't be a bad thing, because we can make the film as thick as we like.....The only bummer is that I have to cut around every decal just like Alps.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Master of the Universe

Estes ain't what it used to be. I found out that the Big Daddy I built only has enough decals for one side out of four! I've seen really bad tubes,crazy instructions,gawdy paint schemes-but then Estes isn't the only company that sells rockets.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I wrote to Estes so we will see what they have to say. I have a decal now that I peeled all the film off of and I am on my second coat of liquid decal film. I am going to try for 4 coats and then try the decal out. If it works this screw up won't be a bad thing, because we can make the film as thick as we like.....The only bummer is that I have to cut around every decal just like Alps.

Try the Testors Decal Bonder spray over the decals, one or two coats, before you cut them out. It works great for me; I use it on new and old decals, every one.
Allen
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Wonder if the decals are made in China?

The kits seem to be of the same quality as when they were made in the States. For example, the kraft tubes seem to be as good as ever. But, given all the problems with Chinese QC, I wonder if that's part of the decal problems.

Doug

The body tubes are NOT made in China, rather here, shipped to China, kitted and sent back.......
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Colorado Based OTH BAR

Default Interceptor-E 1350 Decal Scans

Just an FYI. I am not sure if I have the new or old decal sheet sets that came with my Interceptor E. I was concerned based on what I have read so far. I took the opportunity to scan them in at a high resolution just in case. If you want the scans for future use I will be glad to email them to you. I attached them to this post in reduced resolution. This forum is an invaluable information source I really appreciate gentleman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Interceptor_sheet_01_merged_compressed_1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  264.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interceptor_sheet_02_merged_compressed_1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  285.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interceptor_sheet_03_merged_compressed_1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  279.1 KB  
C.R.A.S.H. - NAR Section #482
SAM Member #0153

"I said Lunch, not Launch!"

- Far Out Space Nuts

Last edited by Kidagain : 05-16-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: wrong info sentence structure
Old 05-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Old Submariner

Aye, carumba! I know what you mean about finicky estes decals--especially with the Interceptor E that has 3 sheets of them!

What works best for me is to use cold water for the soak and just before applying, brushing the entire area to be covered with water and then "float" the decal on.

Some of the larger decals I've had to cut up into sections.

jeffyjeep
Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Aye, carumba! I know what you mean about finicky estes decals--especially with the Interceptor E that has 3 sheets of them!

What works best for me is to use cold water for the soak and just before applying, brushing the entire area to be covered with water and then "float" the decal on.

Some of the larger decals I've had to cut up into sections.

jeffyjeep

I use Microscale decal film to strengthen thin or old decals before application. You have to trim them by hand, but it's worth it. I used it on my vintage Astron Interceptor build last year, and my son used it on his reissued Interceptor and Interceptor-E with thin decals.

Microscale
Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Those Interceptor decals say "Made In China" right on them. I would say that is half the problem!