Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I just noticed something interesting on the Semroc site.
Go to the "Classics 1953 - 1995" page. Then, hit the "Queue" button to see their upcoming kits.
17 out of the first 18 listed are the new Estes Classic Flyer re-issues! Coincidence?

On the Semroc Home Page they say:
"We are at a celebration and will resume shipping on October 20 (Monday.) More details this weekend..."
A celebration?
Maybe Semroc is handling the nose cone and fin fabrication for Estes. Just a thought - There is just too many ties here.

Hans "Chris' Michielssen

The celebration referred to on the Semroc home page is the big 40th anniversary celebration in Dallas for Apollo 7.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Craftsman

You know the real difference between Semroc and Estes.

Semroc asks us to vote for what we want released . . . Estes tells us what they'll release. Which company is really listening to their customers?!

I still firmly stand behind my thoughts about 2009 Estes releases, based on their previous promises that they never filled. They've promised lots and have yet to fill on many - why should I believe them now?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot

Semroc asks us to vote for what we want released . . . Estes tells us what they'll release. Which company is really listening to their customers?!

I still firmly stand behind my thoughts about 2009 Estes releases, based on their previous promises that they never filled. They've promised lots and have yet to fill on many - why should I believe them now?

Well....my own two cents. I think it's great that Estes announced this. I think it will be even greater if they come through and actually market them.

If they do market them, great. I think I'll buy a few (okay, maybe a little more than a few... ) If they don't, it's no skin off my nose. I still have all those other vendors out there willing to provide for me. I'm not changing anything I do or where I shop.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The Astron Spaceplane has me a bit confused as a "bring back".

I thought that design was patented and owned by Vern Estes and John Shutz.

It says that right on the decal that cones with the SEMROC kit.
The patent covered the particular boost glider concept and has since expired. The Astron Space Plane was designed by Vern and John, but you can not patent a particular design in the US. Estes Industries did not copyright the original plans, but does have a registered trademark on "Astron." They have a pending trademark registration on "Astron Space Plane" and "Space Plane" subject to "prior use" not being proven.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj94
Nice!

But what will happen to the clones that Semroc sells? For example, the SST Shuttle. Will they stop producing their clone since Estes will rerelease it?
We have been producing the SST Shuttle-1™ for three years. Estes has a pending trademark on "SST Shuttle", but it is not clear whether it will be the same model. In any case, they did not designate this registered trademark on a model previously "in commerce", so it is not actually a re-release or there would be a date in the "first used in commerce" field on the application.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
One of the many nice things about the Semroc clones is that they use the original body tube sizes.
Thanks Mario.

It has been important to us from the beginning to not substitute off-size parts. An ST-7 tube is different from a BT-20. It is 69% thicker and the ID is has an extra .005", so a "bulged" engine will usually fit in an ST-7 when it will not fit in a BT-20. The walls are three wraps of paper instead of two, so they are much stronger.

Many of our friends have original nose cones or body tubes from the early days. If they have an old BC-103 nose cone, they expect an ST-10 tube, not a BT-50 which is "close", but their nose cone will just fall through. A BT-55 is very close to a BT-56 (ST-13), but we have to stock both, because they are not interchangeable.

When we first started, we were going to try to "fool" our friends by using tubes that were close enough, but we have fixed all of those now (except the Sky Hook which is due.) Our first release of the Space Plane used the ST-7 instead of the BT-30 like the original did. The OD was only .008" smaller using the ST-7, but we have changed it recently to the BT-30. We had complaints that the earlier version using the ST-7 had cases where the engines did not eject quickly enough and blew the Space Planes apart. Imagine if we had used the BT-20 with walls only 60% as thick and a much tighter engine fit!

I think our friends are discerning enough that we could not substitute sizes just to keep our inventory down at their expense.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Carl,

I appreciate your efforts to keep the dimensions on your products as close to the original as possible.

Semroc has great products and customer service!

Now, only if my wallet felt the same way.

Keep up the good work.

Bob
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I just noticed something interesting on the Semroc site.
Go to the "Classics 1953 - 1995" page. Then, hit the "Queue" button to see their upcoming kits.
17 out of the first 18 listed are the new Estes Classic Flyer re-issues! Coincidence?

On the Semroc Home Page they say:
"We are at a celebration and will resume shipping on October 20 (Monday.) More details this weekend..."
A celebration?
Maybe Semroc is handling the nose cone and fin fabrication for Estes. Just a thought - There is just too many ties here.

Hans "Chris' Michielssen
Chris,

I was updating the Classics pages when you saw that. I was marking them as Estes produced.

The celebration was for Walt Cunningham. Sorry we had to be so secretive about it, but Dot did not want him finding out the surprise aspects of it.

Semroc is not in any type of agreement with Estes Industries. Our friendship with Vern and Gleda would preclude that. Besides, the cost of balsa nose cones would be prohibitive for them with the quality level that is expected of us.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot

Thanks Troy.

The minute we stop listening to our friends, we are gone! It is just survival.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Default New Estes releases

I am sorry for all the posts, but I have been away for a while.

It is good news for the hobby that Estes Industries realizes that balsa is good and the old designs from Centuri are great! That is what we have been saying for years. They are listening.

The most important thing they announced is that they have realized that "Made in the USA" is coming back in style. What a great time to start keeping the money and jobs here, among friends. Very encouraging.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com