Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Master of the Universe

Default Estes Mercury Redstone #2167

Hi,is there any difference between the Chinese kits with the red tower and the American ones with the white tower,other than the face card with or without the launch picture? Just wondering if I need any more of these,thanks. (Answer-yes!)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
TARGET GSTL!

The #1921 kit is the one to have, IMHO. The only thing the Chinese #2167 is good for is the spacecraft/LES parts. To answer your question about the difference between the two kits.........my #1921's have red spacecraft/LES parts and my Chinese #2167's have white spacecraft/LES parts, different colored plastic, but exact same parts. The #1921 has waterslide decals, the #2167 has stickers. The #1921 has balsa fins and builds into a model of Al Shepard's Freedom 7, the #2167 has plastic fins and builds into a model of Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7. But I agree, you need more #2167's.

Last edited by jay : 11-09-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Master of the Universe

Thanks,I must say that I don't have nearly the level of expertise that some of you have,I doff my cap to you. I do build some **** fine rockets though,that's my favourite part!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Master of the Universe

Having just purchased the US version,I can say it's the same except it's made in the U.S.A.,has all white plastic parts and has the extra pic on the front. Ny other ones have red capsules and white fins. Whee. Four of these should be plenty.

Last edited by Rustee : 11-16-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 PM
BAR

Mine pranged on her first launch... HEAVY sucker for a "C" motor... I knew she was in trouble before she hit the end of the rod, because she just STAGGERED into the air, VERY slow liftoff... and of course I was flying on a -5 motor, which is a recommended motor on the facecard of the pack... later on in researching on Ninfinger's catalog site the older kits of the MR were ONLY recommended the -3 motors.

The only thing I did different was fill and prime the tube and then paint it white before putting the stickers on... man I HATE stickers! I sanded most of the primer off- I just hated going forward with those BAD spirals visible... and I basically used red body putty to fill the spirals, sanded her smooth, primed, sanded again, and shot a couple light coats of white on it, so it shouldn't have made it much heavier than all that plastic. Otherwise she was stock.

Oh well, live and learn... she lost 3/4 inch off the front of the tube and the tower, but she can still fly and did... slightly better, the same day... OL JR
Old 11-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Master of the Universe

That's why I was wanting to go to reloadables,so you can have the right motor. Even a single-use one would be better. Another case for the old B-14 maybe? A D mount sounds like the cheap and easy way to go. I actually like plastic fins and stickers,you take them and you put them on-done! Better have that sticker lined up right the first time though...I clearcoat over them so it's nearly invisible at the edge. While they're not as refined or scale appearing,you'll not likely tear one and destroy it! Which kind works depends on the model. I might have to get into one of these today,I have to check it out for a kitbash but that another story.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
BAR

Yeah I think a reload would be the way to go. It'd take some pretty HD re-engineering of the kit to fit it for a 24 mm mount though, and if you did, why not just fly on a D or E BP motor?? I'd stick to the 18mm mount and use an 18 mm composite reload IMHO.

Now I see what folks have been saying about late model Estes stuff being so underpowered! (ala Outlander).

Yall have a good one! OL JR
Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah I think a reload would be the way to go. It'd take some pretty HD re-engineering of the kit to fit it for a 24 mm mount though, and if you did, why not just fly on a D or E BP motor?? I'd stick to the 18mm mount and use an 18 mm composite reload IMHO.

Now I see what folks have been saying about late model Estes stuff being so underpowered! (ala Outlander).

Yall have a good one! OL JR

Hey Jeff, how much does your Mercury Redstone weigh? The last time I flew my Centuri
version (at Needville several months ago) I used a C6-3 and got an excellent flight. Check
my model's flight log on EMRR.