Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Advanced Rocketeer...of sorts. :)

Default Estes Night Wing wrap scans wanted (ala SR-71)

I'm looking for scans of the wraps and die-cut balsa sheets for the Night Wing. Similar top/bottom paper shrouds like the SR-71 has...same nose cone in fact.

The instructions have an image of the die cut sheets on them so I'll see if I can upscale it with a photocopier to the proper size. There is also an image of the two wing pieces next to a ruler (for aligning the balsa for gluing) that if accurately drawn might give an indication of the proper length the wing root should be. Unfortunately the instructions don't have an image of the wraps per se.

Thanks

Moe
Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromoe
I'm looking for scans of the wraps and die-cut balsa sheets for the Night Wing. Similar top/bottom paper shrouds like the SR-71 has...same nose cone in fact.

The instructions have an image of the die cut sheets on them so I'll see if I can upscale it with a photocopier to the proper size. There is also an image of the two wing pieces next to a ruler (for aligning the balsa for gluing) that if accurately drawn might give an indication of the proper length the wing root should be. Unfortunately the instructions don't have an image of the wraps per se.

Thanks

Moe

Moe,
Let me see what I can do, I have an opened kit, but never moved beyond that. I will take it across the street and run copies off of everything.

Joe
Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 AM

Joe - I appreciate you trying to do this for me. If you want to mail them to me I will be happy to reimburse (or send $ first) you for time and effort.

Thanks, Moe
Old 12-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Craftsman

Moe,
PM me your address and I will mail you everything you need. This will be much easier than me trying to set up the new scanner printer and getting everything done that way. Let me know how it turns out, that might just be what I need to get started on mine.

Joe
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi Joe - I got the Night Wing plans today - thanks a bunch. I guess I should ask what thickness is the balsa?

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to do them for me. I look forward to getting started on the build.

Moe
Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Here are a couple of photos of the Night Wing I cloned last week using the plans GIJOE sent me and a cannibalized Estes SR-71 kit. Still deciding on a paint/decal scheme since I don't have the orginal decals. I want it to resemble a futuristic (retro?? because of the SR-71 nose) USAF type.

Moe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  nw1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  99.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  nw2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  84.0 KB  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Craftsman

Moe,
It is looking good!

Joe
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Micro Builder

Moe:
Very Nifty Looking model: do you have the Balsa parts sizes or templates you could share or did I miss somthing in the earlier posts? I'd sure like to downscale this bird.
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Are the wraps the same as for the SR-71?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 PM

I cannibalized an SR-71 kit to build it so my wraps are the SR wraps but I think the stock wraps are different as I never built the stock Estes kit. GIJoe sent me scans of the fin patterns and I just used the SR71 kit I had as a starting point for this rocket. Maybe not the best move but the SR kits are still available and that's how I wanted to do it