Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
We had common sense and didn't need all these laws. The lawyer population also exploded in the 80's.

when the revolution comes; the 1st to go will be politicians, regulators and lawyers.

terry dean
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
when the revolution comes; the 1st to go will be politicians, regulators and lawyers.

terry dean
I would add judges, because if they had more common sense, lawyers would not have any place to play.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Semroc does not sell toys! From our disclaimer that is shipped with each model rocket:
Model rockets are not toys, but are functional rockets made of lightweight materials and are launched with NAR or Tripoli safety certified model rocket motors, electrically ignited and flown in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

They have never been sold by toy stores and have never been represented as toys, but as scientific, educational devices. It would be like saying a microscope or a test tube or a small steam engine is a toy.

Of course the government can define anything as a toy.

It seems that the feds are going after everyone, what about the wood toy manufacturer in North Carolina. Natural wood, but, the feds are going after them.

And, what about the classification for motors as a class C toy propellant device?

Be looking over your shoulder on this one, the feds are just plain nuts, the economy is in the toilet, yet, they are trying to force the mom and pop businesses out as well as the mid range companies.

WE all know that model rockets aren't toys, try to convice the feds on that one. They must be motivated by greed and the need to get more money, your money on a silly regulation.

What are the feds going to do about houses built in the 30's and 40's and 50's with lead paint, they may not be toys, but, probably most of them contain lead based paint.

They, the feds. should be going after China and others who profit from Americans in one way or another on their cheap "crap" and the US manufactuers profit at our expense.

Case in point, beanie babies, are made for around 25 cents in China and sell here on average for $6.99.

No wonder the American economy is now in a recession.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I would add judges, because if they had more common sense, lawyers would not have any place to play.

And to be even more honest, the "thin blue line"; ie state and local police, FBI, Dept of Justice and the BATFe, will all have to go, because they are what the power elites in this country use to keep its people in place.

As Thomas Jefferson once said, "The tree of liberty, from time to time, must be replenished with the blood of patriots."

(I wonder if NSA just intercepted this electronic communication, and a file has been opened on me?)

Now don't anybody get their panties in a wad. These are just my personal opinions okay?

YMMV.

terry dean
Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Does this mean I can't use lead in my nosecones, in case someone eats it? What about the toxic lead in our politicians butts?

That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase of "Getting the lead out of your ass"........
Old 01-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Master Modeler

For up to date information on the new lead regulation from the CPSC go to the following

http://www.cpsc.gov

Information, Regulations, and Guidance About Lead In Consumer Products

FYI

It's not only "toys".........
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
[...]

Now don't anybody get their panties in a wad. These are just my personal opinions okay?

YMMV.

terry dean

Panties in a wad will likely result from a major "posterior pucker" for a lot of us. Inauguration Day is coming Tuesday, and I believe we ain't seem nothing yet, when it comes to continued over-regulation and the continuing disappearance of many freedoms we take for granted today.

Maybe I'm way off base, and here's hoping so ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Craftsman

Ditto all the government doom and gloom, but on the topic of the topic....

I saw some new Estes products at Wal Mart today. A couple of new RTFs packaged in carboard boxes. Also a "E2X Designers kit"\starter set. It has a 3 fin cans 3 sets of plastic fins 3 nose cones various BTs and couple transitions with some decals.

Nothing exciting, but I'm sure it is new stuff. The packaging is certainly new.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Pretending to be Normal

I live on the edge of Amish country. There are several places that I know that still make and sell handmade wooden toys. These are real craftsmen who have updated to using some power tools (air powered NOT electric) but who produce toys of real beauty and durability one at a time. These are cars boats airplanes and even three foot long eight inch tall highly detailed tractor trailers. I wonder how these regulations will effect them. If they have to comply by testing models that may only HAVE a production run of ONE, then craftsmanship will be well and truly dead.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM
BAR

I've seen it all before... and that's why ultimately this country is GOING to collapse... note I didn't say when, and I didn't say how, I just said it will ULTIMATELY collapse.

Without a major transplant of brain cells and common sense, which is as common as hen's teeth anymore...

They've been outlawing farm chemicals for the last 40 years, one after another, and on the shakiest of psuedoscience. Now I'm not a huge fan of them, but I DO realize the need for them, even if some are overused. How many PEOPLE have died from malaria from mosquitoes which had been well controlled with DDT prior to it's ban?? Now we find that the studies linking DDT to thinning bird's egg shells was all bogus...

They outlawed CCA treated wood. Oh, we MUST protect the children!!! Why some companies are making playground equipment from treated wood, and arsenic leaches out of the wood and dries on the surface, and gets on kid's hands and clothes and leaches into the dirt little Johnny eats while he's sitting under the swings... the amount was almost undetectable, but it's an ENORMOUS threat that must be outlawed!!! Never mind that even trace amounts of arsenic are actually GOOD for you, just not ELEVATED levels, and for little Johnny to get even a TRACE dosage he'd have to suck on the lumber of the playground equipment for about a week straight, or eat enough dirt to leave a foot deep hole! Now we get "Yella Wood" with whatever that corrosive crap is in there and no telling what that does...

They outlawed peregoric... I used to get 'the earps' as a kid and would be wretching a puking, and I'd get a spoonful of peregoric from mom and BOOM I'd feel great! No more wretching and heaves... that stuff worked GREAT! Nope, can't have that... why for pity's sake it's a NARCOTIC!!! I never got hopped up on the stuff and didn't know anybody who did-- and everybody'd been using it for about 150 years... Nope, gotta go! Gotta protect everyone! Now you get stomach virus and spend a day and a half wretching your guts out in the toilet, which gets harder every year as I get older (and fatter)

Then they outlawed Merthiolate and Mercurachrome... Handiest stuff we ever had on the farm... get cut or scratched deep working on fence or machinery or thorns/vines or whatever, Grandma always whipped out the Mercurachrome... Grandpa carried a bottle of Merthiolate with him everywhere he went! Stuff burned like the dickens when you put it on the wound and turned your skin orange, but it was a great antiseptic and kept the cut/scrape/scratch from getting sore... Oh, but heavens to betsy it's got MERCURY in it!!! WE"LL ALL DIE!!! Nevermind that everybody'd been using it for 100 years or so, and it worked and worked well, IT HAS TO GO NOW!!!! I kept all the bottles from Grandma's and I still use the stuff and will until it's all gone...

Then they outlawed creosote. Well, technically the utility companies can still get creosote, because it's about the best long-term wood preservative there is, and it would bankrupt the utility companies having to replace all the rotted wooden power poles if they COULDN'T get creosote poles... but nobody can have creosote fence posts anymore!!! Nevermind that the regular treated posts rot off in 5 years, and creosote lasted at least 20 years, and nevermind creosote has been used safely for 100 years... NO IT MUST GO!!! I used to take a terrific cough syrup called "Creomulsion". Once you got past the idea of drinking a slug of BLACK cough syrup that tasted like a light pole with a little mint oil stirred in, it was great. I got some BAD bronchitis one year and I coughed for six months straight, never COULD get rid of it, and finally my Grandmother convinced me to try Creomulsion and it was gone in a week! Dried it right up and got rid of it... and I used the stuff ever since. Then one day I went to the store to get a bottle, which was packaged in a plain white box with the old 1880's type 'banner script' arching across the face of the box "CREOMULSION" and when I got home and opened the box, lo and behold it wasn't black! I opened the bottle and tried some and the formula had been changed to a cheap knockoff of Vicks 44 or something. Never worked worth a darn either...

I see this stuff time and time again, and it's all knee jerk stupidity. I can go to Mexico and buy ANY of the stuff I just mentioned, but because some idiot somewhere decides it's not safe, we can't have it. Just more demonstrated stupidity. JMHO! OL JR