Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
The_Ripper

Default LOC/Precision Mini Missiles

I saw the announcement on Rocketry Planet about a week ago for these new LOC/Precision model rockets. I was wondering if any members here had purchased or planned to purchase any of these rockets?

I think they're really cool and from what I've read on Rocketry Planet appear to be nice model rocket kits. The comments posted there ranged from great decals to really strong tubing.

I'm sure a lot of my interest in these is because I've owned 5 of the six regular kits they represent (except the Magnum) and have a lot of history with LOC kits in general. I wondered how guys that have flown only model rockets would view this new model rocket kit line.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2735/28/

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Forest Sprite

Well, that's different! This is the first that I'm hearing about them. I'm actually rather interested in getting the models that these mini-kits are based on, but these may do for now. No dimensions are mentioned, other than the airframe diameter (1") and the scale factor.

Seems like everything is down-sizing these days...

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring (back in the day, when NCR and LOC were the two 'biggies' in HPR -- if you don't count Jerry -- NCR had it in style all over LOC). So small versions of them would be just as boring.

A scaled-down Stovi might not be bad if they had one.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring (back in the day, when NCR and LOC were the two 'biggies' in HPR -- if you don't count Jerry -- NCR had it in style all over LOC). So small versions of them would be just as boring.

A scaled-down Stovi might not be bad if they had one.

Well I wasn't actively involved in rocketry during the years that North Coast Rocketry was in business. I agree that their kits appear to have been very cool, judging from the very few grainy, low-res pictures that I have seen of them, but to me, NCR's products are just images on a web page at Ninfinger. There is no trace of them anymore in the retail channel, so they might as well be just be a fictional company for me, since I will never be able to see or use their products. No one even makes reproductions of their components, and their kit plans are not available for public distribution, so I cannot even study their designs and clone them to get a feeling of what they were like, as I can with, say, the kit designs of FSI. Since NCR's designs and products are totally inaccessible to me, they might as well have never existed at all. I have no way to compare LOC's products with NCR's. NCR's kits have no reality for me; they simply exist in a never-never land of make believe. Comparing LOC's kits to them is like comparing them to some mythical line of products that exists only as legend. I have no way of assessing for myself the validity of such a comparison. I wish I did.

LOC/Precision's kits actually exist in the real world and in the present day. I have never actually seen any of their kits or rockets built from them in real life, but judging from pictures and videos that I have seen on the web, and reviews that I have read, they seem like pretty decent products. I would like to see and hear more about their new line of Mini-Kits. If I get the opportunity some time, I'll pick up one or two in order to check them out myself.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Duuuddde.....

Just take the parenthetical phrase out then! It then becomes, "LOC designs were boring way back when; they're still boring today!"

Still works for me!

Or, to bring it into today, I could've compared them to similar "3 or 4 fins and a nosecone" designs from Estes or Semroc. They are still boring and they're heavier and more expensive to boot!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Craftsman

I got a mini LOC4 to go along with a normal LOC4. One I can fly in the park with a A motor and the other With a F. It would be kinda cool to see a father and son with a full size and a mini kit.
Mr. Bob
Starlight gotta have a kit from almost every mfg. guy
www.starlightrocketry.com
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I saw the announcement on Rocketry Planet about a week ago for these new LOC/Precision model rockets. I was wondering if any members here had purchased or planned to purchase any of these rockets?

I might have if they had included a mini of the only LOC I own. Maybe a combo if I buy a LOC they have in both sizes.

Do the minis come with decals? I was kinda miffed LOC expected my to make my own decals for the Onyx. And don't even get me started on the chute.....
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
well, to me, the LOC offerings have always been boring

I think they are trying to spice things up. They now have nekkid aliens dancing around and/or worshiping rockets on their home page. http://www.locprecision.com/index.htm
Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Do the minis come with decals? I was kinda miffed LOC expected my to make my own decals for the Onyx. And don't even get me started on the chute.....

Until the new owners, there were no such things as decals on LOC rockets!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Until the new owners, there were no such things as decals on LOC rockets!

You probably forgot that Ron and Deb included one decal in every rocket kit ..... a piece of prism tape with the LOC/Precision logo on it in black.

Felt like the same decal program FSI initially used with providing the one "Fly with FSI" chrome label thrown in the bag for your decorating pleasure

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates