Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
Were you give a good reason?

Other than no one wanted to do it, no. I was willing to file the paperwork with Ted, but he said it was up to Jim. Jim referred me to Bubbles, who said they didn't have time to deal with it. I asked if I could take care of it with Ted, and was told it wasn't up to Ted, and passed the buck back to Jim and Trip, where it seems to have died.

It's a real shame. I wanted to fly some classic rockets with classic OOP motors. Like my Big Bertha with a B14, and my Streak with a 1/4A3-4 (no S or T, the 18x70mm version), and probably a bunch more.

I've also asked the board to conclude the old motor testing program, and based on its positive results to restore certification of old OOP motors that haven't otherwise lost certification due to a problem.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Master Modeler

Interesting....

I have fond memories of my Streak but I'm afraid if I recreated it (anyone make BT-10s?) I'd lose it on even a 1/2A motor. That would be one of the reasons to use the few 40+ year old motors I have.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

I am sure someone who uses them can help better but one or two of the various rocket related forums have auction sites and allow the auction of motors. Getting them to the winner is of concern, unless they are local, so be ware...

jim

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi1971
I just launched a 1/2A 6-4 two weekends ago from 1970 that was EXACTLY 39 years old, to the day! and it flew great in a Semroc Rawhide!

That's the irony of the situation as it now stands. I've got a pile of still sealed blue tube motors down in my basement. The C6-7s I can not only still fly at an NAR launch, but use in competition at NARAM. But the 1/4A3-4 that I wanted to fly in my vintage Astron Streak is still grounded.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
Other than no one wanted to do it, no. I was willing to file the paperwork with Ted, but he said it was up to Jim. Jim referred me to Bubbles, who said they didn't have time to deal with it. I asked if I could take care of it with Ted, and was told it wasn't up to Ted, and passed the buck back to Jim and Trip, where it seems to have died.

It's a real shame. I wanted to fly some classic rockets with classic OOP motors. Like my Big Bertha with a B14, and my Streak with a 1/4A3-4 (no S or T, the 18x70mm version), and probably a bunch more.

If it was anybody else I'd think you weren't persistent enough.

Quote:
I've also asked the board to conclude the old motor testing program, and based on its positive results to restore certification of old OOP motors that haven't otherwise lost certification due to a problem.

I think that would be a good idea. I also think it won't happen.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
I think that would be a good idea. I also think [restoring certification of expired motors] won't happen.
Really? I was hoping Ted's program would at least bring back a couple of motors such as the A10-0T (although Estes may do that for us by reintroducing it). You don't think any motors can be de-expired?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Quote:
If it was anybody else I'd think you weren't persistent enough.

I think that would be a good idea. I also think it won't happen.

Then what's the point of the program?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
Then what's the point of the program?

To shut up a few members like us who keep pushing for eliminating decertification because of OOP status?

To use up a lot of the old motors out there so it won't be an issue?

When the data from the program turned out to be exactly what we thought it would be I thought they'd take the next logical step. The impression I get is that, since the program works and allows people to use the old motors, there's no need to make it more convenient for them. I could be wrong and I hope I am.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Quote:
To shut up a few members like us who keep pushing for eliminating decertification because of OOP status?

To use up a lot of the old motors out there so it won't be an issue?

When the data from the program turned out to be exactly what we thought it would be I thought they'd take the next logical step. The impression I get is that, since the program works and allows people to use the old motors, there's no need to make it more convenient for them. I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Well, as you saw in the email I cc'ed you on, I've again asked the board to move the question.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As I've posted elsewhere, I'm in the process of becoming a BAR after a very long hiatus from the hobby.
Welcome back! Beware, the bug bites much harder the 2nd time around
Quote:
One thing I've seen alluded to here but not clearly discussed is this: how old a motor is too old to ever consider using? I have a small quantity of Estes motors that date back to my original involvement in model rockets (when I was in Jr. High and High School). In looking at them just now it appears, if I can believe what looks like date codes to be that, that they were made in 1967 and 1968.....

I suspect that's too old . I also have a small quantity of mini engines from 1973.
If you're not at a NAR launch, and they've been stored properly (which you've indicated) go ahead and use them. If you are at a NAR launch, use the OOP program as others have discussed, and fly them. I've flown a number of shorties in the last couple years, which were about 38 years old, every single one has worked fine.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org