Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
A Mars Snooper for $347?

Wow ... I have the Limited Edition boxed, and while not as old, makes me wonder if I should just keep it. I was ready to build it, but maybe I should just buy the BMS clone, and save this one.

There is a significant difference in pricing for the Collectors Series Mars Snooper (#2093) vs. earlier K-20 kits. The Collector Series only brings about $50 so probably is not as "collectable" as an original and mint K-20 kit. Don't know the typical price of a BMS clone kit + shipping but have to believe that building a Collector Series Snooper is a reasonable decision.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
There is a significant difference in pricing for the Collectors Series Mars Snooper (#2093) vs. earlier K-20 kits. The Collector Series only brings about $50 so probably is not as "collectable" as an original and mint K-20 kit. Don't know the typical price of a BMS clone kit + shipping but have to believe that building a Collector Series Snooper is a reasonable decision.

A BMS kit would be $40.95, no ups, no extras. (Unless Bill has changed his $6 flat fee for shipping.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Default April 5 Update

The April 5 update is online. I've noticed that the earlier K kits are bringing strong money of late. Take a look at the Top 10 Expensive Kits table and it becomes evident that demand is there from collectors for the early K kits.

I was able to buy a number of "difficult" if not rare 1980s kits this weekend on eBay for reasonable monies. How many of you have a Magician is your collection? This is a known rare kit that I snagged for about $40. Other purchases included the WASP, Tartar and Nova Scout Ship (also rare). Also picked up a Black Bryant III and a Sky Hi; both for $28 each and was most surprised that no one was paying attention.

On the other hand, there are some high prices being paid for Estes kits that I would consider to be available. Some examples include; Deep Space Transport $50, SuperNova $41 and Titan IIIE $265. This Titan IIIE is already in the high end of the Saturn V pricing space and smashed the old high price of $162 by a wide margin.

Has anyone checked out the thread about Estes K kit collection registry? I really would like company on this concept....I added a Ranger and a Spaceman recently.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Well, I look at it. But, being laid off, the only rockets I'm interested in are the $20 range. lol...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
On the other hand, there are some high prices being paid for Estes kits that I would consider to be available. Some examples include; Deep Space Transport $50, SuperNova $41 and Titan IIIE $265. This Titan IIIE is already in the high end of the Saturn V pricing space and smashed the old high price of $162 by a wide margin.

When I see real high prices like that, I often wonder if a shill or two isn't in place. Unfortunately, with the hidden bidder names eBay now employs that's almost impossible to figure out anymore.

I for one do not like the hidden bidder name scheme eBay now uses.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Master Modeler

Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

Yes. That was the pristine starter set with sealed Astro-1, sealed Servo Launch pad, original Ray-O-Vac photo flash D cells, paperwork, and motors. Notice that the auction says to contact off-line if there are any questions. I'm sure he got a bunch of people emailing him to repost it without any mention of contents so they could bid on it.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Master Modeler

I see,,,,,,,,,What a bummer if a empty box showed up for 255.00
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
When I see real high prices like that, I often wonder if a shill or two isn't in place. Unfortunately, with the hidden bidder names eBay now employs that's almost impossible to figure out anymore.

I for one do not like the hidden bidder name scheme eBay now uses.

Scott...fully agree with you. I also dislike the new eBay approach for coding bidder names.

These occasional out of line prices could be the result of shill bidding but I do look at the bids on occasion and it appears that someone places a high "buy it" type bid followed by another person with even a larger "buy it" bid. This happened to me once during auction for Satellite Interceptor and I paid much to much.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 AM

Default Estes eBay Highlight Weekend April 11-12

Many Estes kits were auctioned this weekend. I wanted two must have kits for the collection. The Nike-X and the Saros, both in gem condition. Bought the Nike-X for about $110 but the Saros went for "moon money" at $295! Two bidders went head to head on this kit and left me in the dust...... Maybe next time.

Even opened and partially assembled kits are now bringing strong monies. Partially assembled Saturn 1B brought $82 and a common Mercury Redstone at $55.