Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Master Modeler

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought John Pursley was the one who designed and made the
molds for the corrugations and the Apollo capsule for Apogee's Saturns. I've been to Pursley's house many times in recent years and have seen first hand the molds he made
for these components.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Never mind I had to re-read your reply a couple of times; Mike Dorfler worked for Tim Milligan at Apogee then went back to work for Estes. OK, got that. Did Mike have anything to do with the Apogee scale Delta Rocket? I think Mike is good friends with Mark Lavigne (sp?) who launches the real Deltas at the cape. Maybe he was able to get scale data through Mark?

Thank you in advance.

Bob

P.s. Mike Dorfler designing the Saturns for Tim, that puts things in a different light because i thought Tim Milligan had designed his 1/70th scale Saturns. Sort of a , 'Paul Harvey, and know you know the rest of the story'.

Tim also worked on the Deltas at the cape, before leaving to work at Estes, so there's a more direct connection with Mark.

John Pursley also designed some of the parts for the Apogee Saturns, specifically the vacuformed wraps.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Tim also worked on the Deltas at the cape, before leaving to work at Estes, so there's a more direct connection with Mark.

John Pursley also designed some of the parts for the Apogee Saturns, specifically the vacuformed wraps.

Roy,

You are right and I should have been able to connect the dots on that one... for the Deltas, Tim probably has his own data.

To bad Apogee no longer offers the Delta kit. If he did, I would buy 2-3 of the right this second!

Bob
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought John Pursley was the one who designed and made the
molds for the corrugations and the Apollo capsule for Apogee's Saturns. I've been to Pursley's house many times in recent years and have seen first hand the molds he made
for these components.

John Pursley,

Was he the one who helped Lee Piester with Enertek? John built and still has all the prototype Enetek models?

Bob
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
John Pursley,

Was he the one who helped Lee Piester with Enertek? John built and still has all the prototype Enetek models?

Bob

No,

John Pursley had no involvment with Enertek.

Bob Sanford
Customer Service Director
Enertek, Inc.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
No,

John Pursley had no involvment with Enertek.

Bob Sanford
Enertek, Inc.

Well, you would know THAT, Bob.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Master Modeler

You may very well be right, but the person I was talking to would have known and never mentioned John in our conversation. The article I referenced seems to give the credit to Mike.

But like I said you could be right. It just wasn't told to me that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
for these components.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Bob Sanford
Enertek, Inc.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

My impression was that Mike Dorffler was in charge of the project of developing the two kits, and John Pursley assisted in several ways.

It may well be that John made some of the master parts such as used for the vac-forms. While Mike may have made the CAD files for the Apollo CM/LES injection-molded parts, which would have been needed for a machining the injection molds. Do not take that as a confirmation on my part as to who did what, but that from what I recall, both of them were involved, and it seemed Mike was more involved than John.

Also keep in mind that John made a great Saturn-V model for NARAM in 1997, at 1/72 scale. So any molds or parts that may have been seen at his home may have been from developing that 1/72 model. But that does not preclude the possibility that those were 1/70 molds for the Apogee kits, only that by eye nobody could tell a 1/70 scale part or mold from a 1/72 part or mold.

- George Gassaway
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
My impression was that Mike Dorffler was in charge of the project of developing the two kits, and John Pursley assisted in several ways.

It may well be that John made some of the master parts such as used for the vac-forms. While Mike may have made the CAD files for the Apollo CM/LES injection-molded parts, which would have been needed for a machining the injection molds. Do not take that as a confirmation on my part as to who did what, but that from what I recall, both of them were involved, and it seemed Mike was more involved than John.

Also keep in mind that John made a great Saturn-V model for NARAM in 1997, at 1/72 scale. So any molds or parts that may have been seen at his home may have been from developing that 1/72 model. But that does not preclude the possibility that those were 1/70 molds for the Apogee kits, only that by eye nobody could tell a 1/70 scale part or mold from a 1/72 part or mold.

- George Gassaway

The molds I've seen at Pursley's house is the 1/70 scale; not too long ago, John even told
me that if and when I got around to building my Estes 1/70 (K-29) Saturn 1-B kit, he'd be
happy to lend me the Apollo Capsule Kit parts to help ease the build. When I decided to
get started on the K-29 after the LAUNCH/SEMROC Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B Celebration build,
Pursley didn't have anymore of the Apollo Capsules so I just went ahead and ordered one
from Apogee.