Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
There's also Art Nestor, NAR Historian.

YES, please contact Art. I know for a fact that his heart and soul is in to the history of the NAR, and I cannot imagine that he'd not be interested in anything that you night have to offer. I have his e-mail address, please PM me if you want it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I had PM'ed David about historical contest material for the NAR Contest Board. I also told him that my first NARAM was #11 in Colorado Spring in 1969. I told him that the scrapbook that I have taken to the last few NARAMs and NARCONs has a photo of me with his grandfather Bill with the Air Force Academy football stadium in the background. Bill Roe was the contest director. The photo was also sent to and was printed in the Columbus (OH-IO) Dispatch newspaper.

I also got to see G. Harry Stine and I later served with him on the NAR Board of Trustees. Took a picture of Vern Estes at the controls of the launch system that Estes built for the event. I gave Gleda a copy of the photo a couple of years ago that I was able to print from the slide. We had a tour of Estes where we got to see a lot of closed doors. Industrial spies that we were. Then there was the orange soda experiment off the Royal Gorges bridge, but I digress.
It will be interesting to see what comes out of the attic.

Chas
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Got in to Colorado Springs last night. We started cleaning out the attic today. I've posted some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/395808...57619795915919/ Let me know if you recognize anything.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roed
Got in to Colorado Springs last night. We started cleaning out the attic today. I've posted some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/395808...57619795915919/ Let me know if you recognize anything.

Yes! Astron Starlight, a Patriot. What do you want for the tower?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
rocket dinosaur

I saw a lot of old rockets that are worth $$, what appears to be an original MMi tower wish is worth $$, some blue tubes that may or may not contain engines that are worth $$....that old handbuilt peak city stuff is worth a small fortune..... thats got to date back to < 1960 .... but I don't collect stuff.... I would love to see an index of what documentation that your grandfather and father saved ..... model rocketeer mags , plans and diagrams, NAR literature etc.....

great stash!

terry dean
Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Interesting. The rockets are a bit more modern than I was expecting. Martin's NAR number is just higher than mine, and these rockets were the type I (and many of us here) was flying during my first stint in the hobby (68-74). The old MMI tower is the only obvious throwback to the early days of the hobby.

Was kind of expecting a bunch of MMI Aerobee Hi's and Carlisle rockets! But it makes sense if he and his son continued in the hobby into the 70's.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
I guess Mr Stine doesn't allow e-mails from forum users. Could someone PM me some contact info for him?

Bill Stine can be contacted through Quest (his rocket company) either by web-based contact form or telephone. And he has direct e-mail.

http://www.questaerospace.com/

http://www.questaerospace.com/contact.asp?url=xx
Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Bill Stine can be contacted through Quest (his rocket company) either by web-based contact form or telephone. And he has direct e-mail.

I'm pretty sure I sent Dave the email address for Bill back in March.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Yes I have been in contact with Stine and he's going to get a chance to take a look at the stuff in person this week. It does appear that most of what is up there is my father's so it's newer stuff. Then again all I did was open the box, see that it had rockets in it and add it to the pile, we'll have to see what's further down in the pile. After I took those pictures we stumbled across some Model Rocketters and Aircraft modeling magazines which had a rockety section. We also found a box that seems to be full of kit instructions and plans. I'm not sure from what era however.

As things stand now nothing is for sale. It's the position of the family that we are more interested in preserving the historical items that we have rather than using them for financial gain.

I'll try and make updates with more pictures as we dig deeper.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Stine came and looked at what we had. While there wasn't a lot from the very early days there was a number of things from some of the later days up through the mid 70s. We donated most of what we had to his museum. I unfortunately didn't take any more pictures.

Thank you all for your help in figuring out what to do with these pieces of American history.