Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I'm sure Carl and company is burning plenty of midnight oil working on this. BTW, I see he's
on this thread as I write this!! I think SEMROC will have to look at this from a cost standpoint. I wouldn't mind going the wooden dowel route, so long as the kit is there.
Even though I have two flight ready 1/100 scale Saturn - V's (Estes & Centuri) and two flight
ready Saturn 1-B's (Centuri 1/100 and Estes 1/70), I can always add another to my fleet......

Dave, does anyone you know of currently make a 1/100 Saturn IB model?? I really wanted a 1/100 Saturn IB and Saturn V, but now I'm thinking of scratchbuilding a BT-80 based Saturn V in 1/150 (roughly) to go alongside a Dr. Zooch Saturn IB, which is roughly 1/150. Even been thinking of downscaling my (as yet unfinished) Ares I 1/100 to 1/150 also...

Later! OL JR
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
In between nose cones, laser cuts, and instruction documentation!

I am sure Estes does not have the same design goals that we have, but you can not have too many choices for Saturn V's on the 40th anniversary.

Well, Carl, if Night Tripper's e-mail response from Estes is true (release in July 2009), it'll be
too late to build in case we have an Apollo - 11/Saturn - V Celebration like we had for the
Apollo - 7/Saturn 1-B. Which reminds me, are we having another "plan in the works" like
this? If I'm gonna be involved, I might need a little more time for the build than I had for
the Saturn 1-B project.......
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Dave, does anyone you know of currently make a 1/100 Saturn IB model?? I really wanted a 1/100 Saturn IB and Saturn V, but now I'm thinking of scratchbuilding a BT-80 based Saturn V in 1/150 (roughly) to go alongside a Dr. Zooch Saturn IB, which is roughly 1/150. Even been thinking of downscaling my (as yet unfinished) Ares I 1/100 to 1/150 also...

Later! OL JR

Jeff, I'm not aware of any who make the 1/100 size Saturn 1-B; the closest is Dr. Zooch's
version, which (I might add) looks really good for the price. When I saw the Estes (Centuri
rethread) 1/100 Saturn 1-B at the Maker's Faire in Austin several years back (with some
of the Estes corporate staffs present), I was hoping they'd tell me such a kit was forthcoming, but I got no such tip . You'll really be better off by going with the
SEMROC 1/70th kit, especially if you like to feel a sense of accomplishment of having
"made it through" such a complicated model.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Craftsman

With all Estes announcements I have learned to live by a motto.

"I'll believe it, when I see it." Estes seems to enjoy teasing us with tidbits, them ripping them away. (e.g. Shrox kits)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

So why does everybody ignore the Peter Alway Saturn V at 1/195th scale?

It doesn't even get an honorable mention.

It's a beautiful model and only $50 from BMS

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

I didn't ignore it! I've only had it for nearly four years! Just like your LTV Scout. And your Nike Hercules (but I have started building that one! Of course there's been no progress on it since October -- it bled off the excess building energy after the Saturn 1b!)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
In between nose cones, laser cuts, and instruction documentation!

I am sure Estes does not have the same design goals that we have, but you can not have too many choices for Saturn V's on the 40th anniversary.

Good to hear you're still going through with it. I've got a gift certificate with Saturn V written all over it.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Craftsman

I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it. Now I'll have to look.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

It doesn't even get an honorable mention.

Sorry, forgotten about that one. Hardly see any pictures of the actual model, so maybe that's why it escaped my mind.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I didn't ignore it! I've only had it for nearly four years! Just like your LTV Scout. And your Nike Hercules (but I have started building that one! Of course there's been no progress on it since October -- it bled off the excess building energy after the Saturn 1b!)

Roy, I didn't mean you "personally".

I meant whenever there is a discussion about the Saturn V and the kits that are available, the Peter Alway kit from BMS is just never or rarely mentioned.

I saw it in the prototype stage and Peter, who is in our club and brought it to a meeting, basically assembled the entire model without glue. It is that precicely made.

Even the body tube is litely etched with a laser to show the location of the detail parts.

Really inovative!

http://sandmandecals.com/