Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Q&A With Barry Tunick, formerly of Estes Industries - Ask Your Questions Here

I've been in discussions with Barry and other Estes employees all weekend. As many of you have noted, a message forum is not a viable way to hold a live Q&A session. Because of this, we are changing the format and timing of this event.

Barry has agreed to answer 50 questions. This is far more than he would've been able to answer had we gone ahead with a 2hr "live" Q&A due to the software restraints.

Send me your questions as a reply to this post. I won't accept questions sent via email. If you posted questions previously, you'll need to rewrite them here. If you like, ask two questions. Please make your first question the most important one to you. I'm hoping to get questions from 50 different people. If we don't, I'll go back in order of questions received and use your second question to bring the total up to 50. Please read the questions posted before yours so Barry isn't answering duplicate questions. Duplicate questions won't count towards the 50 total. Please do not ask questions meant to bash Estes and/or Barry. I will not forward those questions. If a question requires an answer that gives proprietary or private business information, it may not be answered.

This is an opportunity for us to learn about the most successful model rocketry company we've seen since the hobby was born. If this Q&A proves successful, we may see more of them in the future with Estes.

I will collect questions for ~ 24hrs, or until we reach 50 questions, whichever comes first. I will then forward the questions on to Barry. He has asked for two days to answer the questions. When I get the answers back from him I will post them here for all to review. This method will allow those of you who have to work or are overseas to have the time to get questions sent in as well.

Thank you for your cooperation. Now, ask away!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
rocket dinosaur

what are the reasons behind Estes being sold?

What were the reasons for Estes's failed attempt at composite mid power? Was it clashing egos and personalities? Will Estes ever again come out with composite mid-power (EFG?) rocket motors.

Has Estes ever considered reloadable BP or composites?

Has Estes ever considered separate product lines for Kidz versus adults?

Why can't Estes design sales programs and products for 2 different markets at the same time? For example the mass merchandise market and the Hobbyist market.

terry dean
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
From another planet...

I would like to know if Estes has any plans for scale re-releases, such as the Saturn V, Saturn IB, and the Maxi-Brute series.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Send me your questions as a reply to this post. I won't accept questions sent via email. If you posted questions previously, you'll need to rewrite them here.
I don't really have a question, but I have a couple comments. I wish Estes would run a batch of 1/2A boosters and put them in the channel. I wish there were some high thrust motors such as B14's and D20's. And maybe E30's, too. I'd love to see another run of C11-0's and C11-7's as well.

But I'm not holding my breath. I do understand marketing reality, and don't want to ask for the unreasonable. If it doesn't make economic sense, then that's that. Nevertheless, those are my wishes.

I want to show my gratitude as well. I have a blast flying the motors currently available. I'm glad to have D12-0's and B6-0's along with E9's and all the rest. I'm glad we have the variety we do, and I look forward to flying them for years to come.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Here's mine, formatted somewhat nicer...

Why is Estes now, after all these years, suddenly care what the hobby community thinks? Estes has shown, at the best, uncaring ignorance, and at the worst utter contempt for this community. Now, all of a sudden, they care what we think? This sounds like a very poor attempt to influence potential buyers showing that they have the support of the hobby community, and that this support will easily transfer to the new owner.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
MMXCVII

Does Estes have any plans to move production of things other than motors to the United States?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

1. Does Estes plan to reissue Large Model Rockets (e.g., Honest John, V2)?

2. Does Estes have a corporate presence at major NAR meets (I attended NARAM 49 for one day and saw FlisKits, BMS, Semroc, but saw no Estes on the day I was there)?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Craftsman

Dear Mr. Tunick,

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, and I hope this will be only the first many such opportunities.

What are the future (short term) plans for your engine (motor) market, in regards to new propellants, casing demensions, etc?

Again, thank you very much for your time.

Evil Ed
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Mr. Tunick,

What is the current and future status (on-hold, production plans, not gonna happen, ....) of the Shrox designs (Estes Daedelus/Shrox Icarus, Estes Lancer/Shrox Stiletto, and 3 other rumored designs) and will there be any Estes/Shrox collaboration in the future?

Thanks,
EV
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

My questions are:

1. Will you please release a 24mm E9 casing D20 (0,3,6,9)? I am willing to raise the initial $5000 net order.

2. Will you please have all solid propellant BP motors DOT classified as exempt unclassified based on low burning rate and 25kg limit per box so you can make more variety and ship them easier? Note well they are for technical work purpose not a "pyrotechnic display purpose".

3. Will you please propose the USPS item limit be raised to the FAA 125g limit?

4. Will you please make an ejection charge module as a separate product for dual deployment use?

5. Will you please disclose third party dip kit style igniters as approved for use with your product, so long as you do not also accept liability for their usage?

Thank you.

Jerry Irvine
Closed Thread