Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM
MOTORVERKENS

When you use the attachment manager you are "uploading" to YORF.
When you place images within your text, you are not uploading but rather
"inline linking" as those images remain at their original location and
are only displayed here within your post; that's why the image must be
on a website to begin in with.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
BAR

Oh, Ok... that makes sense (sorta) I don't have Flikr or whatever (my wife uses Snapfish but I have NO idea how to work that) and anyway I just take my build thread pics on the digital cam and save em to 'my pics' in windows and then upload as I do the threads. The other sites have a 'paperclip' icon all on it's own that allows you to put the pics you just uploaded whereever you want in the post, just designate where with the cursor. I guess they don't have that feature over here or have it turned off.

Oh well... thanks anyway, I appreciate it!

Thanks again! OL JR
Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
How do you put pictures in the text of the message... I can't figure out how to do that, as it seems to be different from way the other forums do it.

Can anybody give me the rundown?? TIA! OL JR

1). Open a account at PhotoBucket.com ( http://photobucket.com/) - it's free.

2). Upload your photos.

3). Mouse-over the photo you want to past into your thread on YORF. Choose "Link Options" and deselect everything but the "Full Size" box under the "Image for Bulletin Boards and Forums" heading.

4). Copy the URL in the box for the image you want to paste, write your caption in the thread, and paste the URL under your caption and it should look like this:

Black Powder family tree:

S.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

That's what I did, since my anglefire links were hit or miss. I just signed up to photobucket and plopped in the pics!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
BAR

Thanks guys... I appreciate it...

Sounds a little more involved than I want to mess with just to put the pic in the post. Just leaving them at the bottom is good enough. If people can't figure out what they're looking at then why bother I guess... LOL

Thanks again! OL JR
Old 11-17-2019, 08:11 AM
Mad for modrocs

I'm having problems uploading pics using the "Manage Attachments" option. After selecting the images and clicking UPLOAD, I get a message that says: "Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster". What am I doing wrong?

“Minds are like parachutes--they only function when open”. —Thomas Dewar
Old 11-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktman
I'm having problems uploading pics using the "Manage Attachments" option. After selecting the images and clicking UPLOAD, I get a message that says: "Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster". What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately my old software is limited to file sizes up to 2mb. I'm guessing your files are larger than that. You'd need to resize them to get the file size smaller.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Since this is a very old necro thread, I'll note that Photobucket should be renamed with the "B" replaced by an "F". They even demanded $399 "ransomware" from users in 2017, till the public outrage got so big. https://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/...ucket-fee-hike/

So, I doubt those who recommended Photo*ucket over 10 years ago feel that way about them anymore.

Anyway, I use imgur.com for my pics, as above. No graffiti-marks, no ransom demands, free, easy.

I will note that this forum's software does not scale down externally linked large images as most other forum software does. So if the image is "two screens wide", it is going to display it two screens wide, stretching the TEXT two screens wide too, requiring side scrolling . So, usually when I post pics here, I'll post a lower-res copy unless I forget or do not notice.

If I wanted to post a very big image that someone might want to download (such as a drawing or a hi-res photo of a real rocket for scale data), I'd post it twice. Smaller version for the screen, and a link-only (URL tags, no "IMG" tags) for the hi-res, and point out in my message the link is for the hi-res version. I first started using Imgur because a drawing I posted using forum software, automatically shrank the image to the point that the drawing resolution was unreadable, and many details of the drawing were wasted into mush.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 11-17-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

George is right. Photobucket used to be awesome, with great tools and a super easy interface. Then they chunked a truckload of excrement into a wind turbine. I currently use imgbox and occasionally use YORF's attachment setup so there's still a few choices out there.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

You can upload larger images to RocketReviews.com then use BBCode to embed them in posts. Back when TRF was having issues with hosting images, I added support for easily uploading images for use in discussion forums.

Visit:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/trfimages.html

You'll be prompted to log in. If don't already have an account at RocketReviews.com, you'll need to select the Create an Account link.

Fill out the short form to join RocketReviews.com and submit it. The site will send you an email with a link to confirm your registration. Click on the link to confirm your registration.

After confirming your registration, you can go back to

http://www.rocketreviews.com/trfimages.html

and log in.

You'll see a simple form for uploading your picture (or other type of file such as a Rocksim design).

Enter the title of the file then click the "Browse" button and select the file to upload. Click the "Submit" button then sit back and wait. It may take a little while for the file to upload.

Once the file is uploaded, you'll see a thumbnail of it displayed along with the "BB Code" for embedding the image in a forum. The code is displayed for several images sizes from "Thumbnail" to "Large."

The "Medium" size works nicely in forums, but you might want to use "Large" for a detailed photograph.

Use your mouse to highlight the code you want to use. Then "right-click" and select "Copy" to copy the BB code to your clipboard. Be sure to select all the code from the start of "[ Center]" to the end of "[ /Center]."

Then go to your message and paste the code in the message where you wish the image to appear.

The code looks like:
Code:
[ center] [ url=http://wwq.rocketreviews.com/tikva-onboard.html] [ img]]http://www.rocketreviews.com/image-tikva-onboard-400-600.jpg[ /img] [ /url] [ /center]

(I added spaces inside the tags so the code would display here.)

When pasted into your message, it produces an image like:

The advantages of using the image manager are that ... it handles larger images; it gives you the code you need to paste into your message to display the image; it automatically resizes your image for the forum and links back to RocketReviews.com where the full-size image can be displayed; and, I've tried to make it as simple as possible to use.

Also, you can select and use any images you've uploaded to EMRR/RocketReviews.com, not just ones specifically uploaded for a forum.

The image manager also allows for files that are not images. For example, your can upload a Rocksim design and get back a thumbnail to post in your message. For example:

Rocksim files are special. If you click on the icon (eventually the icon will include the name of the file and an image of the rocket), it'll take you to a page at RocketReviews.com that displays an image of the design and details of the design - as well as a link to download the design file.

Please let me know how it works out if you try this. You can contact me via the Contact link at the bottom of most pages at RocketReviews.

If it looks like people are finding it useful, I will spend some time improving it.