Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

I really should get the resin pieces, I am just in the middle of trying to buy my Lvel 1 rocket and some motor casings. This rocket was kinof my birthday gift from the wife so I have to tread lightly on spending any more on it right now.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1975
Should I keep it and not build it or should I (as I probably will do) build it and fly it?

Hey, here's an idea - build it IN the wrapper. Kinda like the sailors used to build ships in a bottle.

Mario
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Now you are thinking "Outside the box" on that one!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Either way it goes I want to have it built to launch on the 40th anneversary. I am on coast mode right now till I "officialy" retire from the Army in June so I have plenty of time to get it built.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Now you are thinking "Outside the box" on that one!!!

Actually, I was thinking inside the box - literally...

Mario
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Don't take a chance on the aerosol can expandable foam. It will sometimes keep expanding in a slow creep for months, eventually bulging or bursting the rocket. Two part foam mixed like epoxy will be fine, if you have it.

If you want to, buy the resin cast parts and use the capsule/tower for flights, but build and use the Estes capsule/tower for display. It will look much better up close than the solid resin cast tower.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Don't take a chance on the aerosol can expandable foam. It will sometimes keep expanding in a slow creep for months, eventually bulging or bursting the rocket. Two part foam mixed like epoxy will be fine, if you have it.

If you want to, buy the resin cast parts and use the capsule/tower for flights, but build and use the Estes capsule/tower for display. It will look much better up close than the solid resin cast tower.

I will take your advise for sure. Do you think that it would be good to go with foam in it?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
(snip)......... I am on coast mode right now till I "officialy" retire from the Army in June..........(snip)

I believe the term is ROADing..........(Retired On Active Duty)......
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I believe the term is ROADing..........(Retired On Active Duty)......

Roger that, on the ROAD I know the term well...

It would be a different situation if it were not a medical retirement though. I am only 3/4 the way through my career right now so it kinda sucks... Alot...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I will take your advise for sure. Do you think that it would be good to go with foam in it?

I wouldn't fool with the foam if it were mine. I have two built Saturns V, an old Centuri Saturn V that your most recent Estes model is based on, and the previous Estes model. The fins on yours will be anchored on the body tube and the plastic fairings will strengthen them considerably. The main body tube doesn't need it either, IMHO. If you were planning to fly it with larger F or G composites, foam might be an option to add some rigidity.

If the fairings were paper, like the previous Estes versions, I might think about foam under them, but I doubt I'd go through with it. The only other area I might consider it on any of the Saturn's is inside the paper transition section. My Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V models are over 30 years old and have survived many flights and several moves without foam reinforcement. The 1B did suffer a couple of catos, but foam wouldn't have helped in either case, and would have caused the repairs to be much more difficult.