Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I wouldn't fool with the foam if it were mine. I have two built Saturns V, an old Centuri Saturn V that your most recent Estes model is based on, and the previous Estes model. The fins on yours will be anchored on the body tube and the plastic fairings will strengthen them considerably. The main body tube doesn't need it either, IMHO. If you were planning to fly it with larger F or G composites, foam might be an option to add some rigidity.

If the fairings were paper, like the previous Estes versions, I might think about foam under them, but I doubt I'd go through with it. The only other area I might consider it on any of the Saturn's is inside the paper transition section. My Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V models are over 30 years old and have survived many flights and several moves without foam reinforcement. The 1B did suffer a couple of catos, but foam wouldn't have helped in either case, and would have caused the repairs to be much more difficult.

Agreed; foam will add nothing of substance to the model's build.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I wouldn't fool with the foam if it were mine. I have two built Saturns V, an old Centuri Saturn V that your most recent Estes model is based on, and the previous Estes model. The fins on yours will be anchored on the body tube and the plastic fairings will strengthen them considerably. The main body tube doesn't need it either, IMHO. If you were planning to fly it with larger F or G composites, foam might be an option to add some rigidity.

If the fairings were paper, like the previous Estes versions, I might think about foam under them, but I doubt I'd go through with it. The only other area I might consider it on any of the Saturn's is inside the paper transition section. My Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V models are over 30 years old and have survived many flights and several moves without foam reinforcement. The 1B did suffer a couple of catos, but foam wouldn't have helped in either case, and would have caused the repairs to be much more difficult.

Thanks for the information. I will go with what you say. I would like to try an F in it sometime, and I do plan on clustering four 18mm motors around the 24mm one in the center.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1975
Thanks for the information. I will go with what you say. I would like to try an F in it sometime, and I do plan on clustering four 18mm motors around the 24mm one in the center.

Which is what I'm doing to my K-36 Saturn .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 002.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  75.1 KB  
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

Very nice

Any tips on making some motor mounts that look like F-1's?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Craftsman

Default Estes Saturn V

I am using my F1 motors on my Sat V.
one 24mm reload in the center. I used the disc that the display engines are on. cut a hole in the center to fit the BT50 tube. assembled all the engine bells, took one of the bells, lopped the top off to fit the motor tube. Looks good to me.
My 2 cents
Mark T
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

I need to order four 18mm motor tubes and get started on this thing. I am going to try and retain use of the F-1's during flight and still try and make it look right as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Master Modeler

While those plastic F1 nozzles will look good, I'm going to "switch" to using paper F1 nozzles
(made from card stock) so as to not risk distorting and/or melting those plastic ones. I'll
have to look and see where I can find plans for the paper model F1 nozzles (I do know they
exist, as one of our club member has made a larger scale F1 nozzle and showed it to us at
our last club meeting last month; was really cool and super detailed!). The advantage of
using the card stock nozzle is it's more light weight and, should it get damaged during flight,
it's cheaper to build another. Just use the plastic nozzles for display only.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
While those plastic F1 nozzles will look good, I'm going to "switch" to using paper F1 nozzles
(made from card stock) so as to not risk distorting and/or melting those plastic ones. I'll
have to look and see where I can find plans for the paper model F1 nozzles (I do know they
exist, as one of our club member has made a larger scale F1 nozzle and showed it to us at
our last club meeting last month; was really cool and super detailed!). The advantage of
using the card stock nozzle is it's more light weight and, should it get damaged during flight,
it's cheaper to build another. Just use the plastic nozzles for display only.

Ok, just a quick update:

Here's the card stock model I was talking about, built by our club member David Funk.
Notice the details!! I think these can easily be made to 1/100 scale for the flying scale
Saturn - V's. With a little imagination and work, it shouldn't be all that difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  n_a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  29.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  n_a1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  21.4 KB  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Low Tech Rocket Dude

That is some tallent right there. I think I will go with doing this. Thanks for the great ideas. I plan on building a replica of the launch pad too and launching it on the weekend of the anneversary.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Ok, just a quick update:

Here's the card stock model I was talking about, built by our club member David Funk.
Notice the details!! I think these can easily be made to 1/100 scale for the flying scale
Saturn - V's. With a little imagination and work, it shouldn't be all that difficult.

WOW! those look great...tell us more...post some plans!

If you post the plans for the engines, I can easily redraw them in CAD and scale them.

I can post the 1/100th scaled drawings as a pdf. I'm sure others can use that!

I have an opened kit (actually it didn't even have the box!) I want to build for a 5 motor cluster.

Maybe with 4 of the Quest long burn C's and a central D.

Long burn...a good thing!

http://sandmandecals.com/