Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The real answer is that people are stoopid. I use that at work a lot.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
BAR

I've seen that on Ebay too... I usually get a good laugh or two leafing through the listings over there... sometimes I bid and sometimes I win, and get a good deal because I don't go nuts... I bid on a ROTW over there last year and bid up to like $50, but that was as far as I'd go... I think the one I was bidding on went for like $90-100 bucks, which I thought was NUTS, but I saw another copy that went for- Are you ready??-- $376 BUCKS!!!! That's just totally INSANE!!!

I've seen that a lot at real auctions, though, not just on the internet... I go to farm equipment auctions now and then looking for 'junkyard deals' as that's about all I can afford #1, and because I use mostly older smaller equipment that goes cheap at auction #2. Still, I'm AMAZED at some of the "p!ss!ng matches" that get going at auctions... I bid and bought some stuff at an auction, and afterwards I had backed my truck up and was loading up. Another guy backed in beside me and was trying to load a spinner/seeder into the back of his truck, so I lent a hand. Now I had seen this seeder get sold since it was right next to the stuff I was interested in and bought, and it's an older common seeder/spinner that you can buy at any TSC store for about $250. If you want a real nice one with parts support, you can pick up a brand new one at most farm equipment dealers for about $400. This guy got 'bidder's fever' and bid the thing up to $350 and won, but he could have gotten just as good a spreader, NEW, for less money, or a deluxe model for only about $50 more at any dealer... and his WIFE was NOT ABOUT TO LET HIM FORGET IT!!!! Poor sap must have had to listen to the battleaxe for a month about that, because she was SO PO'd she wouldn't even get out of the truck and help him load it, which is why I did... that and so he'd go on home and I wouldn't have to listen to her griping while loading my stuff...

First rule of any auction... know what you're bidding on, and HOW MUCH IT'S WORTH, both actually and intrinsically... there are some things I'd pay fairly big money for despite it's low ACTUAL worth, because it can do a job that I need done better than anything else, they aren't made anymore, etc... to some folks that seems stupid, but if it's what I NEED, it's worth more to me while it may be 'junk' to someone else... and there is some stuff that people WAY overvalue (like new cars) that simply AREN'T worth what they're charging for them (same with new farm equipment... the old stuff is WAY better and WAY WAY cheaper...) Just depends on the situation and how bad one guy wants to sell and how bad the other one wants to buy... but if you don't have an idea of what YOU are willing to pay for it, and stick to it, you'll get burned more often than not in auctions... sometimes some fool or other will bid something up that I need, and if it's still REASONABLE I'll probably bid up, but you've got to have a 'cutoff' in mind when you say to yourself "that's just a STUPID price" and walk away... which I've done too...

Takes all kinds ya know... OL JR
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I've seen that on Ebay too... I usually get a good laugh or two leafing through the listings over there...

I've been getting a kick out of watching all these Pershing Maxi-Brute kits coming out of the woodwork on ebay all of a sudden. Now there's some kind of crazy.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
I've been getting a kick out of watching all these Pershing Maxi-Brute kits coming out of the woodwork on ebay all of a sudden. Now there's some kind of crazy.

One went for over $300 this weekend.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

So, I guess Estes is about to re-issue it......
Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Estes Pershing is the one Maxi Brute I wish they would re-issue as this one was by far the best, excepting the K29 Saturn 1B and K36 Saturn V.
They should re-issue it with PRE-SHAPED WOOD fins, not the thin GARBAGE plastic fins the original came with.
It is my understanding that this has never been re-issued due to the tooling for the nose cone was destroyed somehow, just like the 1/45 scale Little Joe II Apollo capsule.
Most of the other Maxi-Brutes (Colossus, Maxi Alpha, Maxi Alpha 3, V2, Honest John, X-Wing) I could not care less about.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
One went for over $300 this weekend.

Two in the last week went for close to $400. I thought Barry said the Maxi-Brutes were being reissued in the Letters to Barry thread, but you know how that goes.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Two in the last week went for close to $400. I thought Barry said the Maxi-Brutes were being reissued in the Letters to Barry thread, but you know how that goes.

Yep. $389 to be exact, for one of them anyway. I was watching it just to see how it ended. eBay Pershing II.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Hooked Badly

The next Pershing went for $395. It jumped $120 in the last 10 seconds.

There's another one coming up in 3 days. It's only at $152.50 right now.

Ebay Pershing Maxi-Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yep. $389 to be exact, for one of them anyway. I was watching it just to see how it ended. eBay Pershing II.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

If you want a smaller one there is also mine.

This is my last one for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=280339626215

I'm busy working on Nike Hercules kits...
then Soyuz kits...
then maybe some Nike Ajax kits...
then maybe some LTV Scout kits...
then maybe some Vostok kits...
then maybe some Scud kits...
then maybe some Little Joe II kits...

or maybe even something new.

Oh, yea...some decals too!

http://sandmandecals.com/