Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

I was in Arkansas during the 80's while Sam was alive. While he was a conniving *******, he did a lot better than his kids. Last I knew, they were still running things. Except for his daughter. She was doing so bad the boys fired her...

Sam was one of the first to push "Made In America".
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
She then inquired if they actually fly. Again, I explained to her that they would if Walmart would get some motors in stock.

Good one Don!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Craftsman

Do they actually "order" stuff for the stores? I thought the warehouses got the inventory in and then sent it out to the stores when their inventory needed it. That is why the stock goes up and down, they don't actually do ordering in house.
I could be wrong. My store near me is remodeling. They have been doing so much moving around, it may be a few weeks before they get around to new stock.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

You might hold off on sending this to Bentonville, Gus. I found all four kits at another store tonight in far North Dallas, and they appeared to be priced correctly. At least the Taser Twin I picked up for my 10yo was properly priced. The only listed motor available was a pack of C6-7's, but no B6-6's nor boosters, including the new A's.

Anyway, it may be WalMart is finally getting their feces aggregated and will have the shelves back in order pretty soon.

Of course, I could change that opinion again tomorrow

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Wal-Mart has one single universal problem. Inventory control. Most of the more popular items they sell spend most of their life being out of stock.

The typical Wally-World response is to put a pallet display out for a week or two.

At no time does it occur to them to have someone pass by shelves, capture a SKU and have that item on the next truck from the distribution center, typically 2-3 times a day.

Most of the system to succeed is in place, particularly the hard part of distribution.

They have NO inventory control.

Jerry

Thank GOD they don't simply electronically capture actual sales and continuously restock. That would be too efficient.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
BAR

Default Hit or miss mostly miss so far

Last week I went to my local WM Poulsbo,Washington State I talked directly with the toy Deptment manger . I had in hand the print out Photos of the new Kits all ten. I asked the manager if she knew when these kits would be available . she said we just reset the shelves this is what we have for sale at this time. No Motors I indicated that I am in this store every two weeks you have only had estes motors for sale twice since November 2008 the other time was January 2009. She gave the the Pig looking at the watch look. and the standard WM answer I check on that. So today I called the Sequim ,Wa. WM no new kits no motors & no Idea what I was talking about- new Estes kits ! ? Also called Pouslbo,WA. WM- comment by toy manager was well if we had any they must have sold out really fast which tell me the manager dosen't have clue what she has. Same deal no new kits. Motors -last friday a few C6-3 & 5 I would buy two of each if I could find a WM that had any locally. anyway I'll give it a little more time.
Maybe I'll ge lucky new kits and motors in the same store

John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Pretending to be Normal

I haven't looked for the new kits yet but I don't hold out much hope. Our local WM's haven't even gotten the new motor displays that came out last year. Maybe they don't restock because the sell so poorly but they sell poorly 'cause THEY DON"T HAVE ANY.

The good news is that our local Toys 'R Us started carrying Estes for the first time and they have rocket AND motors including the new motor sizes (you know, the ones that AREN'T C6-3's and C6-5's).

I'll be making more stops at Toys R' Us in the future.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
They have NO inventory control.
Jerry,

Walmart is ALL inventory control. The problem is they have an inventory control system that they have 100% faith in. When you inform them their system isn't working they react like you've questioned their religious beliefs.

When I bumped my question up to management today I got no further than I did with an "associate". Since this system is their lifeblood, my experience today should frighten the hell out of folks in Bentonville and Penrose.

I think it particularly ironic that my encounter happened in Walmart's Troy Michigan store, which is why I included it in my original post. There used to be another big retailer headquartered in Troy... until they went Chapter 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  KameApart.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  64.7 KB  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Jerry,

Walmart is ALL inventory control. The problem is they have an inventory control system that they have 100% faith in. When you inform them their system isn't working they react like you've questioned their religious beliefs.

When I bumped my question up to management today I got no further than I did with an "associate". Since this system is their lifeblood, my experience today should frighten the hell out of folks in Bentonville and Penrose.

I think it particularly ironic that my encounter happened in Walmart's Troy Michigan store, which is why I included it in my original post. There used to be another big retailer headquartered in Troy... until they went Chapter 11.

And it looks like there may be another on added to that list soon.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Sam was one of the first to push "Made In America".

yea, whatever happened to *that* campaign? I remember the inspiring TV commercials. I think one was about a manufacture of tricycles?