Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Default A New Rocket Company

Hey all,

Just thought I would share some info with everyone. This is the project that started 1 1/2 years ago and I'm finally getting to the point of trying to sell some kits. The company is named New Way Space Models. You can check out the website at

http://www.newwayspacemodels.com

We are officially "launching" the company at NSL this weekend. We will be set up as a vendor with our first 3 kits. Since it has been basically just me doing all of everything to get the kits made, they will be in limited quantities. I have had some help from a couple of great rocket guys along the way, as well as, a good friend.

We thought it would just be fun to do something a little different. So, that is the main objective, to just have fun.

When we get back from NSL we will try and figure out a good way to sell them online. We haven't had enough time to do a cart or anything yet as we are just learning about making a website as well.

Let me know what you think. If any of you listers are going to be at NSL stop by and say hello. I will also have all of my Rock-A-Chute Mark II's and the upscale Mark II with me that you can also check out.

Thanks, Rick Randol
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Rick, those are truly different!

At first look...not so much but...their looks are growing on me.

So, do the square tubes have spiral groves???

They are interesting designs. I can see a lot of possibilities.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
So, do the square tubes have spiral grooves???

It sure looks like it in some of the pics on his web site.....for example: http://www.newwayspacemodels.com/im...es/webpics1.jpg
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Gordon,

Yes, they have spirals in them. I've built a couple without filling the spirals and a couple with filling them and filling them does give a better finish. The tubes have been the main concern all along. I wanted to do the rockets in the traditional manner with a nose cone that slides in a tube. I know Stellar Dimensions did square rockets with an all lazer cut body and nose but, I wanted the standard, just square. The problem is that there is only one place I found that makes square tubes and they don't offer the same kind of finish that you see on standard rocket tubes. And, of course, square tubes cost a bunch more than round ones so, what started out as a "simple" idea, turned into a year and a half of trying to get it done. It has been fun and I have a much better idea of what goes into making a rocket kit. So Gordon, when you say it has taken a bunch of work to get one of your kits done, I know it has. Also, best of luck with the decal business.

Rick
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
GET GOONY!!

Neato! Will you eventually be offering kits via your website?

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
7/21/61

Rick,

Count me in for one of each when you get back from NSL.

Those are very cool.

Steve
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Forest Sprite

Your designs are WAY COOL! I like them...I like them a lot...I want them...

And...oh yeah, I'd LOVE to see what your centering rings look like!

(How do you fit a round peg into a square hole...? Oh, never mind. )

BTW, nice job on the website, too. The "tubes" photo on your home page says it all, and it is very clever. I really like the narrative on your History page, too.

Bravo, Rick!

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

Any one heard from Rick in a while? I tried the "New Way Space Models" site but the contact link didn't work...
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
BAR on the loose

Ooooooh. A whole new way to "Gonniefy".

Very cool really. Can't wait to see what all ends up being offered.

I'll definitely have to get a few this spring.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Hey mycrofte, thanks for asking. Sorry the contact didn't work. I tried it myself today and the email went through. You might try it again to see if it works for you.

I'll try not to ramble on too much about NewWay Space Models so, here goes. Thanks to any of you guys that read this and have bought kits. (if you have built one, please send me photos so I can put them on the website) I have learned many things along the way to this point. Probably the most important lesson I have learned is that I was not prepared for success. By this I mean I planned to make kits and have several different models but, I guess I didn't think I'd really sell any. And I have sold some.

When I started out I could only afford a small batch of square tubes and with that I planned only so many kits of each style (the 3 on the website and 6 more still to come). What I didn't have was a plan after that. So, I've been working to get the next 3 kits ready, which I will have in limited supply and 3 more by spring (that's my hope). I hope that after I go through this original batch of tubes that I can get a larger batch and keep all the kits in stock.

I only have a couple of each of the orignal 3 designs of kits left, with the 4Square being the most popular thus far. I'm getting ready to introduce "NewWay Klones". Only a few folks have seen these and I think everyone will get a kick out of them. I hope to have some photos on the website in a couple of weeks with the kits to follow a couple of weeks later. I'll post something here about it.

Like many out there, my time and money hasn't gone as planned and I'm hoping that I can change that a little soon. I'm going to try and get the cart working on the website, that has also been a thorn in my side. As a one man operation, I haven't figured it all out just yet. Thanks for letting me ramble on. E-mail me if you have any questions about square rockets or whatever.

As a last second thought, if you haven't visited the website yet, go to it and check out the "History" tab on the left and then under that look at the "Photos from the archives" and "The MRN photo contest story". Thanks again.

Note: Some photos on the site change when you move the cursor over them.