Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I have started scanning some of my Father's photos and have posted them in a new photo gallery I had created. I have a lot more to scan and items to photograph, but it is a start and all I had time to do today.

I had created the gallery for everything I found from my Father's home, but changed the gallery to allow user uploads and comments. If you setup a user id, you will end up with your own gallery under the "NAR Rocketeers" main album. In your own gallery you can add all you want as I have no limits and the site will never go away. Just select the "Upload App" option to use drag and drop uploading of multiple photos .

As a start, I would really love anything CMR related -- photos of your CMR models, etc. What I could really use are scans of CMR catalogs as I did not even find one in my Father's home.

Anything else related to model rockets is welcome as well. There is an option for you to add your own watermark to your photos if you wish and your photos and album will display as belonging to you.

The url is http://modelrocketmuseum.com/gallery/

Enjoy and I hope this can also serve as an example of how a rocket archives could be setup quickly and cheaply. Took me about an hour to setup and upload the few photos I have so far.

Craig

Last edited by cskuhn : 07-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for that link, Craig. I've bookmarked it and registered, so I'll be posting some CMR stuff in the near future. Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Hi Craig,

There are a few well known archives available online. Some could use an update in usability, but we're glad to have them anyway:

www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html
This is Sven Knudson's Archive. Started with Estes and Centuri catalogs, but now includes a ton of smaller manufacturers and (I think) all of Model Rocketry Magazine (though some are badly scanned). It includes a '72 and an '87 CMR catalog.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/rp00.htm
JimZ's Rocket Plans, an archive of instructions and ephemera from commercial kits.

http://www.rocketshoppe.com
Part of the group of websites related to this forum.

http://www.dalesrocketrypages.info/.../Blog/Blog.html
Dale Windsor's blog that contains a nice photo record of model rocket motors over the entire history of the hobby.

http://www.naramlive.com
Chris Taylor's photo documentation of the last ten NARAMs.

There are a few sites here and there documenting various aspects of the hobby. I think George Gassaway or someone he links to has a series of pages on the history of RC rocket and boost gliders. Vern Estes has his own site which links to magazine interviews he and Gleda did about the hobby's history.

I was about to set something up myself to tie all these together based on your exhortation but you obviously scarfed up the domain name before I got to it!

Last edited by Royatl : 07-01-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Roy. I have added the links to my archive and will take a look at the sites.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskuhn
Just my $.02 worth from an outsider looking in and from someone who has been in the IT world as a software developer and consultant for 30 years. I will try and shut-up and leave the issue alone. Sorry.

Craig,

Just ignore Jerry. He has a tendency to get people upset.

Your dad's items will be just fine sitting at your house until an MR museum is opened somewhere.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
rocket dinosaur

craig, wow great stuff!. thansk for sharing!

terry dean
Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
http://www.dalesrocketrypages.info/.../Blog/Blog.html
Dale Windsor's blog that contains a nice photo record of model rocket motors over the entire history of the hobby.

Still not comprehensive but an excellent start. Great for an end user site that had to have it all shipped to him.

Jerry

Offering an alternative to the dump is a good thing not a bad thing. Nobody offered that for the Vern Estes house! Be nice.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskuhn

Enjoy and I hope this can also serve as an example of how a rocket archives could be setup quickly and cheaply. Took me about an hour to setup and upload the few photos I have so far.

Craig

Thank you, Craig. I was impressed with the web site. I enjoyed the actual rockets section. You have done the rocketry community well by preserving the work of your father.

Greg
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

The pictures posted earlier show your father holding an Argo Javelin.

It was the picture on the cover of the 4th edition of the Handbook with your dad and ellie stine working on that rocket that got burned in my brain as a very young man and started my passion for rocketry.

I would be willing to help in any way with the preservation of his collection. It's the least I could do.

And thanks for coming here to share YOUR story.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC