Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Sprinkle Balsa Dust on my Cherios

Guess I was not specific or clear enough in my original response?
I added a few words to clarify the first response. The responder seemed to get it?

I did state, that dropping off boosters as in parallel staging was another story, needing the intent to be clarified by the original poster asking the question.

The intent, I believe, of the original poster was a parallel cluster, as suggested and advised.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the examples given so far in this thread don't meet those requirements

The Hotrod Nitro Fireball may not be a traditional parallel staged rocket (not intended to be) as the upper stages are smaller than the booster. But It certainly does have 6 parallel second stages.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/forum...hlight=fireball

Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmtn
Clip Whips r quite the opposite. More reliable than any other method. Glenn NAR 89197
I totally disagree.

Every single clip in a clip whip is a potential point of failure. A dirty clip or a poor connection and one motor doesn't fire. Also if a clip falls off one lead, same thing.

I'm not saying that they can't be used reliably but you need to make sure the clips are clean and the springs are tight on the clips every time you use it.

I personally have stopped using clip whips. I add color coded wire extentions to the igniters and check continuity on every igniter after it is installed in the motor. Only then do I twist the extentions together. I have had a 99% success rate since going to this method. (I don't want to jinx myself by saying 100%).

I had a high success rate with clip whips but not the same level of reliability that the wire extentions have given me.

Just my 2 pennies. YMMV
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 08-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Clip whips need tender loving care. Continuity for every lead should be checked prior to use. I've got a four cluster whip that has a broken wire inside the insulation. Didn't know it till after the third time I used them and kept getting a motor not firing. Should have taken my own advise, huh....
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Ignition of motor clusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I personally have stopped using clip whips. I add color coded wire extentions to the igniters and check continuity on every igniter after it is installed in the motor. Only then do I twist the extentions together. I have had a 99% success rate since going to this method. (I don't want to jinx myself by saying 100%). [Snip]

Hi Bob,

How do you attach the wire extensions to the igniter leads? Wire wrap tool or solder?

What gauge of wire do you use to make the extensions?

Thank you.

Mike
NAR #83900
Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
And so it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bar
Hi Bob,

How do you attach the wire extensions to the igniter leads? Wire wrap tool or solder?

What gauge of wire do you use to make the extensions?

Thank you.

Mike

Mike,

Bob and I do the same thing. We use a Radio Shack wire wrapping tool and 30 gauge wrapping wire.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/in...ing%20wire&sr=1

Works great.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Tony. That looks good. I will try the wire wrapping for clusters.
NAR #83900
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

I add color coded wire extentions to the igniters and check continuity on every igniter after it is installed in the motor. Only then do I twist the extentions together.

Bob,

If you wouldn't mind, would you please post a pic of this configuration? It would help me understand the advantages of this system, compared to clip whips.

Greg
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Bob,

If you wouldn't mind, would you please post a pic of this configuration? It would help me understand the advantages of this system, compared to clip whips.

Greg
Sure. In the first picture the extentions have been added using the wire wrap tool (see Tony's post) and the ends bent back over on the wrap. The extentions are about 5" long and there is a different color on each lead. Once the igniters are installed in the motors, you can check the continuity on each igniter and then twist all the red leads together and then all the blue leads together.

Then there is only one set of clips to worry about and if you have a dirty clip, poor connection or one clip falls off then NONE of the motors light rather than some of the motors as can happen with clip whips.

A tip that got from Tony is to use some clear tape on the igniter near the tip so that the bridge wire doesn't flex and get damaged while wrapping. A second benefit is the wires won't get pushed together and shorted out while installing the igniter in the motor. See picture 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  igniter_01.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  89.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  igniter_02.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  71.5 KB  
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Great post, Bob!

I get it now. It looks so simple. I guess a picture is really worth a thousand words after all.

Greg
Old 08-30-2009, 05:57 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypv
Mike,

Bob and I do the same thing. We use a Radio Shack wire wrapping tool and 30 gauge wrapping wire.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/in...ing%20wire&sr=1

Works great.

I've used wire-wrapping on circuit boards in the past, but have not thought of it for the purpose here. It's a great idea, and assume it works, but it seems to me that the #1 advice for launching clusters is to ensure adequate current (car battery), which seems to go against the use of 30AWG wire. Again, just an empirical observation here, no evidence to back it up, but has anyone smoked the wrapping wire due to the internal resistance being high (thanks to its small gauge), or had failed ignition due to insufficient current reaching the igniter? I suppose that the length is short (it's not like you're running this stuff back to your controller), so it's probably a moot point. I will try to answer my own question and post data here if/when I get some time in the workshop, unless someone can shut me up?