Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 09:07 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default 40 years ago this year...

Here's a reminder that should make everyone cringe with aches and pains, realizing it really has been this long...

It was 40 years ago this year that we began hearing the famous phrase "...To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Yes, the first season of Star Trek began showing in 1966, and lasted three seasons before being cancelled by NBC. Fortunately, syndication and several related series have punctuated the networks' silence from time to time...

One wonders what the next series might bring, if the powers-that-be will ever get their act together and actually produce one...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-21-2006, 09:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Here's a reminder that should make everyone cringe with aches and pains, realizing it really has been this long...

It was 40 years ago this year that we began hearing the famous phrase "...To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Wow. It doesn't seem like a day over eternity.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-22-2006, 08:34 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

YOU are one *sick* puppy!

man i'm old... I remember sitting mezmerized every week watching the intrepid Capt. Kirk do his thing...

man...
Old 01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question Another (successful) "Star Trek" series?

Quote:
One wonders what the next series might bring, if the powers-that-be will ever get their act together and actually produce one...
It would help if they'd bother putting said imaginary show... ON MORE CHANNELS THAN JUST "UPN!!!" I mean, for those of us who *don't* have UPN available where we live, I wouldn't mind waiting a week or two after an episode airs for the "first" time, if I could watch on a channel that I actually get... instead of not getting it at all.

Maybe that was the problem... the Powers That Be (Austin and Nigel? ) *didn't* get it.

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflis
YOU are one *sick* puppy!

man i'm old... I remember sitting mezmerized every week watching the intrepid Capt. Kirk do his thing...

man...

Actually, he was the enterprising Capt. Kirk; the Intrepid's captain was...someone else...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
It would help if they'd bother putting said imaginary show... ON MORE CHANNELS THAN JUST "UPN!!!"

They tried that, with Deep Space Nine. We received it on the ABC affiliate out of Pensacola...typically after midnight...and even then they would pre-empt it for any one of a thousand unannounced reasons at the last minute, or push it back to an even less-godly hour of the post-midnight morning, or not bother to show it at all...

At least the UPN station kept it on a reasonable schedule, at a reasonable hour.

Seems to me the SciFi channel would be a better choice for any new first-run Star Trek series...

Speaking of which...

Is anyone here (really) following the new Battlestar Galactica series? Or does it seem to have bogged down at about the same point in the story line as did the first series? Remember the "starchild", where Starbuck was left behind on some planet with a Cylon he had to rebuild just for "company"?

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:

Speaking of which...

Is anyone here (really) following the new Battlestar Galactica series? Or does it seem to have bogged down at about the same point in the story line as did the first series? Remember the "starchild", where Starbuck was left behind on some planet with a Cylon he had to rebuild just for "company"?

I tried, but I started drifting away last year, missing an episode here and there. I never even bothered this year. I like this cast and the storyline a LOT better this time, but I must not have the sci-fi gene.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question BSG, Stargate SG-*What?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I tried, but I started drifting away last year, missing an episode here and there. I never even bothered this year. I like this cast and the storyline a LOT better this time, but I must not have the sci-fi gene.
With *two* Stargate shows, I do my best to keep up with the (ahem) recently revised original.

As far as the new Battlestar Galactica, it seems like there are some fairly compelling storylines (although you have to completely disassociate from the late 70's original), BUT... Since I operate a TV camera 5 days a week, I couldn't bear to watch an entire episode because the camera kept zooming unexpectedly *several times an episode.*

In other words, the new BSG's camera work made me... *jumpy.* (Colin Mochrie voice) "Augh! --Augh!"

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 01-23-2006, 01:03 AM
BP Mafia

That's because you aren't "hip" and "happening".

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Red face Out of touch, that's me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's because you aren't "hip" and "happening".
Or "edgy," either.

Although I *did* watch "The Village" today for an adult Sunday School class next week on "Film and Theology." ...Five years *after* the movie was released!

So, no, I'm apparently not "with it."

Come to think of it, that was true even way back in the 70's. So the *least* I can do is continue to "deliver."

Cheers,

--Jay