Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

OK, here's my two cents' on the background:

Our club had an excellent relationship with the park administration and had been flying there for a number of years. In 2007 or so, the locals punted and turned over ownership and administration to a county park authority. That authority was much more difficult to work with, totally control freaks, and it was a rocky relationship. When some bonehead flew a sparky in August 2008, with nary a fire extinguisher in sight and no running water in the park, lighting the field on fire with soccer moms downwind, we were doomed. The following year, they passed a number of "park regulations" that, among other things, banned rocketry of all sorts. They have subsequently banned the sailplane club (too noisy), and I suspect have also banned the cricket players (even louder than rockets).

When they booted us, they generously suggested another nearby park. Not quite the square mile of VOA--about 250 yards by 100 yards, surrounded by dense trees and a fairly good sized body of water.

They also left the door open to "rocket contests", since I'd previously been trying to get permission to hold another NARAM there (N-47 was run through the previous administration). When they started throwing ridiculous conditions at me (initially only offered 2 days, then offered for the week only if everything was torn down/removed at night, plus hired 2 full time cops, vendors buy a license and pay 10% royalties, everyone buys a $5 parking permit, etc.) I gave up and dropped them.

I've flown at the park many times since then, just as a low profile private individual, not as part of an organized club, never anything HPR, and encountered a few rangers who never gave me any trouble. This one did, and from the encounter two things were obvious. 1--someone in the park called this in, since there were no officials in the park when I pulled in and we were in a very isolated corner, and 2--they're taking the anti-rocketry very seriously, now keeping a record of everyone they've busted (thus the "citation" Bill and I got).

Neither Bill nor I can vote in this county, and I've fought as savvy a battle as I can, through the county commissioner's office with the clout of a national event. It ultimately comes down to the fact that a park they're trying to turn into a nature preserve, grudgingly allowing some soccer and cross country running in, just isn't going to put up with an activity that lit their field on fire.

The saddest aspect is that our club has been homeless ever since, and most have dropped the hobby for the most part. I might wind up scrounging up some sort of smaller field later this year, but would likely have to restrict things to low/mid power.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
When some bonehead flew a sparky in August 2008, with nary a fire extinguisher in sight and no running water in the park, lighting the field on fire with soccer moms downwind, we were doomed.

Please note that this was a different bonehead. Not this one.
As for the low to mid power field, that would suit me just fine. I've got many of the parts gathered for my level 1, but that was just because I lucked into a big tube. I could keep myself pretty entertained by flying nothing but Estes A-E motors the rest of my days. As it stands, I guess it depends on how far I'd consider driving to fly, which gets into a lot of things like gas prices, vehicle availability, and spousal patience. I have an understanding wife and I like to drive, so the only thing that might stand in my way is having a vehicle at my disposal. (Wife and two teenagers to compete with. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Please note that this was a different bonehead. Not this one.
As for the low to mid power field, that would suit me just fine. I've got many of the parts gathered for my level 1, but that was just because I lucked into a big tube. I could keep myself pretty entertained by flying nothing but Estes A-E motors the rest of my days. As it stands, I guess it depends on how far I'd consider driving to fly, which gets into a lot of things like gas prices, vehicle availability, and spousal patience. I have an understanding wife and I like to drive, so the only thing that might stand in my way is having a vehicle at my disposal. (Wife and two teenagers to compete with. )

Keep your eye out for a used Plymouth Horizon as an extra vehicle... I've heard good things about them .

NAR #32070
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Craftsman

Talking Final Launch

Really to bad! Such narrowmindedness! We've had our share too. However, our rec guy said we could launch last Saturday, so we did! (Only weekend from now till next fall. Sports have priority!!). Anyway, take a look at our 3 rocket drag race and tell me what u think, OK? Glenn, Radical Rocketeers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  drag race.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  341.0 KB  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmtn
Really to bad! Such narrowmindedness! We've had our share too. However, our rec guy said we could launch last Saturday, so we did! (Only weekend from now till next fall. Sports have priority!!). Anyway, take a look at our 3 rocket drag race and tell me what u think, OK? Glenn, Radical Rocketeers.

Great shot! How far away from the pad were you standing? One thing about VOA, the available camera angles caught the afternoon sun rather badly, so most everything I took was backlit.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Craftsman

Default Final Launch

I was manning the launcher but, person who took the shot as about 20-25ft from launcher. Glenn