Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Example: Flying a 3-motor cluster flight safely earns a Lvl 1 Cluster badge while doing it 3 times in one day earns you a Lvl 2 Cluster badge. So if a newbie wants to fly a cluster and needs help, they know to seek out the Lvl 2 Cluster person. Or Lvl 1 Cluster person if nobody better is available. And you know, one or more people will seek to own all the badges.

Good grief. Last year I launched two 3x18 and one 2x18 clusters on the SAME RACK. (One belonged to my protege Justin, the other two to me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Now I'm going to have to pay attention to whether or not a motor is certed and all that other garbage I had no concern for in my yard.

I've launched with a certain club that shall remain nameless twice so far, and they don't do flight cards. Heck, their launch control is strictly DIY.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I need to find a club with the bare minimum of rules like you mention with DIY launch control.
To me minimum rules usually has a direct correllation with maximizing FUN.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Hooked Badly

So those were yours. I've filled out a couple of those Tripoli Houston cards myself.

Actually those were one of my models for doing ours... so thanks!

Ahhh... if only Hearne wasn't so dang far. *sigh*

I did an excel file that has a section for data about the bird and repeated sections to handle the flight data. The idea was that we'd keep em in a book and end up with detailed logs of each flight until the bird was retired, lost or crashed. It even has a spot for a picture of the bird.

Hasn't worked out too well yet, but I'm about the only gung-ho flyer there.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Good grief. Last year I launched two 3x18 and one 2x18 clusters on the SAME RACK. (One belonged to my protege Justin, the other two to me.)

Well it was just an example.

But yeah that would be good criteria for an achievement award. Come back when you qualify for the 7x18 Cluster Badge....
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Come back when you qualify for the 7x18 Cluster Badge....
What do I get if I stage a 3x18 cluster to a 3x18 cluster?

Seriously, I'm reminded of NARTREK. I've had conversations with folks before about having certifications for all sorts of things including dual deployment, HPR clusters, hybrids, etc. Knowing that folks can fly a 3FNC and get an L2 which in turn enables them to fail stupendously sort of inspires you to want to add strata to the certification system. You could have your basic L2, then L2-hybrid, or L2-electronic, or L2-DD, etc, and combinations of those as well.

Or course all that becomes a bureaucratic nightmare, and undermines the beautiful simplicity of the current process. Hence, I'm opposed to it. But it is kinda neat to think about having some sort of achievement program which ackowledges the more complex feats of rocketry. Hence me thinking NARTREK.

There are all sorts of little challenges like this that could be included - using timers for (1) airtstarts, (2) recovery, (3) staging - using altimeters for (1) basic recovery, (2) dual deployment - flying a glider modified for RC recovery - doing any of the aforementioned in (1) mid-power, (2) high power.

Anyway, I like your idea, Mikus

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
7/21/61

ghrocketman,

Sorry you lost your flying field.

Seeing as how you live near me I'd like to encourage you to find another private field to fly in near where you live so you can continue your solo flying.

I've flown with all the groups in our part of the state and I'd hate to see any of the flying fields folks have worked so hard to secure jeopardized by someone with such little understanding or respect for why organized rocketry groups do what they do.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Hence me thinking NARTREK.

Doug

Top Men are working on a NARTREK for HPR even now.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
BAR

Quote:
NOT FROM MY FRAKING LACK OF TRYING!!!!!

Ahem... sorry.

Honestly, I'm about to give up on the whole freaking lot of y'all.

Yeah, I read that today on the club yahoo group page.

Man, didn't you get the memo?? This isn't the Age of Aquarius anymore, and it isn't even the Age of Consumerism anymore, or the "ME" Generation anymore, and it SURE AIN'T the Age of EXCELLENCE anymore! (just ask our glorious leader!)

No sir... this is now the Age of Mediocrity...

You're just going to have to learn to "roll with it!" LOL

Ya know whatcher problem is, right??

YOU TRY TOO HARD!!!

(tongue firmly in cheek!) Take it easy, Mikus! OL JR
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like that your club does NOT do flight cards.
That way one does not have to tell un-truths like the engine is a C5-3, not a C6-3 or a B14-7 not a B6-6, etc...
That way most can claim PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY !!!!

Hehehe... Gh, gh, gh....

As Dr. Emmet L. Brown would say, "YOU'RE JUST NOT THINKING FOURTH DIMENSIONALLY!!!!"

My boss and I had a recent conversation about doing the stupid bus counts again... FOR THE SIXTH TIME THIS YEAR. The state mandates we do two bus counts per year-- we get "official" lists of all enrolled students who live "on our bus route" and we have to put an "E" beside their name if they're a regular rider present on bus count day, or an "X" if they're a "hazardous rider" (some **** thing to do with where they live in relation to the school that I doubt even the **** Austin pencil pushers could friggin' explain!) SO, you have to either fumble with this **** list the whole route or just do what I do, and write their name and grade on a legal pad as they get on. Most I know, but some I don't because they ONLY ride on bus count day (the school strongly encourages all students to ride the bus on bus count days to "inflate" the numbers to up the state funding for the school transportation dept.) so you get to try to convince a kid to pronounce their name so you can hear and understand it and attempt to write it down and have to have them spell it when most of them are too stupid to spell their own name. ANYWAY... it's a COMPLETE PITA! We did it SIX TIMES this year because the boss is trying to get the numbers up and submit the 'highest two' counts to the state. Now to the catch.

The boss commented on how when he substitute drives for SOMEBODY on bus count day, he doesn't know the kids from Adam's housecat and just counts noses as they get off, and then randomly "E's" the right number of kids on the list (E's because check marks are just TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORY to the school Nazi's from Austin TEA). I said that's what I think I'll do-- I get tired of furiously scribbling names on a pad while people honk behind me, especially at stops where 6-8 kids get on the bus. I know most of them and can remember who rode and who didn't, and just 'make up the rest'. He commented that if they ever get "audited" they may get in hot water, because if anybody ever cross-references the attendance lists that day against the bus count lists, his would be full of discrepancies if he put an "E" by a kid who supposedly rode the bus that day but was absent from school...

I told him, "well, you know how to explain that don't you?? CLERICAL ERROR!

Problem solved...

SO, when you fill out your flight card and it says C6-7 and someone comments at the pad that you've got the first 29 mm C6-7 they've ever seen, just say "CLERICAL ERROR!" and be done with it!

Never underestimate the power of playing stupid! (Problem is, far too many people AREN'T PLAYING!!)

OL JR
Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Yeah but it makes it dern difficult to gather statistics. Fortunately Luke doesn't care how safe we are as long as we don't feed initiators to his cattle.

Umm... wouldn't exactly say that, Mikus... far from it.

I was actually rather relieved when it turned out the farm is "too small for HPR" and we stuck to modrocs... Not that I don't like HPR or fear HPR, but I've seen a lot more "incidents" at HPR launches and would have a lot more pucker factor as a landowner with that on the place.

Of course a fool can kill themself with toenail clippers if you give them enough time... and even modrocs would hasten the process for some folks... if you get my drift.

But most of the incidents I've seen with modrocs have a MUCH lower pucker factor than HPR incidents I've seen.

I just don't like to see things 'overly strict' or oppressive... ya know?? I don't think we need 'law of the jungle' where anything goes, but I don't want to see someone get a Hitler complex either (like some folks we could mention!)

I think we should be free to tilt our rods a bit, launch commercially constructed engines regardless of their 'cert status' so long as proper setbacks are observed, and things like that...

I DO agree with your desire to obtain statistics and look for ways to improve safety and do things better, and maybe congratulate and encourage a few folks along the way.

JMHO! OL JR