Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Dazed and Confused

I'm glad you started this thread because I'm behind the times with R/C gear. I have a Futaba 8UAF which was Futaba's flagship radio back in the day. (Got a heck of a deal on it when a guy needed some money fast.) I see that you can slap a 2.4 g module in it and jump into the world of spread spectrum. I haven't even looked at radio equipment in years other than to pick up a couple of tiny Berg receivers. This new stuff looks cool....but $300 for the module and Rx doesn't.

Where are you finding $29 Tx modules?

Edit: I see that Hitec's module will work with the Futaba just like their old frequency modules did, so that would drop the price by a good 50%.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The 2.4 GHz gear ranges from pricey down to dirt, dirt cheap. But each brand is proprietary and only works with itself. I think the $29 tx module and receiver combo was from Hobby King, have not tried dealing with them yet. The plus is that these are the same kinds of places you look for the cheap, light, but maybe not going to last too long tiny servos.

Hmm, a pack of motors may cost twice what it did when I was a kid... but R/C planes have come down so much in price. Used to budget $50 for the kit, $60 for glow engine and $100 for radio.... plus probably another $60 in incidentals. Now you can get a park flyer complete with name-brand 2.4g radio for under $100.... (what's too bad is that they want $60 for the receiver/2servos brick from it)
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Yet another BAR

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Hobby King - not the tx/rx stuff, but I have purchased a bunch of HXT-500 and -900 5 and 9 gram servos. They seem to work pretty well, but you do get an occasional reject (I've had 1 out of 20 with an issue). Order well in advance of when you need stuff, and if you do get a bad servo, it usually costs more than it's worth to return.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJU
if you do get a bad servo, it usually costs more than it's worth to return.

Yes, that's my impression of this price class of stuff....

For servos at five bucks a pop easy to order extra, for radio systems a little less trivial.

Those parkzone guys have an alternate play on this with their brick pricing at sixty... it's almost twice what you have to spend for a receiver and pair of servos, but it's one ready to go lightweight piece with a brand name behind it...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

One thing I've learned to watch out for in the radio gear is not to get too enamored by the Tx or its price, but pay more attention to the receiver options and prices. I borrowed a Spektrum Dx6i last summer, loved it. Digital trim, model memory, lots of bells and whistles, outstanding range, and retails these days for $150. The only problem is that the receivers, while also excellent and now available in many size/weight ranges, are easily double the cost of what I can still buy to match up to my clunky old FM Tx, and now thanks to decent synthesized receivers (ex. Corona) I don't even have to hassle with getting matching crystals. In my case, I hope to eventually have 15-20 r/c models in my fleet, and the Rx cost is much more a factor than Tx to me, but if I were more of a normal flyer and stuck with 2-3 models, springing for any of the mid-range 2.4 systems (Hitec, Futaba FAST, Spektrum) would be a no-brainer.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Yes, the pricing of the corona synthesized receivers make staying on 72 MHz tempting.

Though the pricing of their version of 2.5 GHz is not noticeably higher once one spends thirty bucks or so on the TX module. Decisions decisions...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Not so Junior

When you buy cheap gear you tend to get what you pay for. I've had a couple of bad crashes (read that as totaling the glider) because of being cheap in the gear (servos for the most part).

kj

Last edited by kevinj : 05-21-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
When you buy cheap gear you tend to get what you pay for. I've had a couple of bad crashes (read that as totaling the glider) because of being cheap in the sear (servos for the most part).

I guess it all depends on where the cost and risk are.

If you are going to put a lot of effort into building the airframe, and your flying site is one where the likelihood of recovery is quite good, invest in quality radio gear.

If the airframe is a quick foam and tube job, and you aren't airstarting any engines, and there's real risk of non-recovery, then the radio gear should be very cheap - crashing due to a failed servo or RF link is neither the greatest risk nor any great loss.

I'm thinking of putting the actuator control from a radio shack plane on the rudder of a readiboard dihedraled sky dart... "radio influenced" free flight if you will.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

Buy the cheap stuff! Just make sure you take lots of pictures/video to post on the forum!

NAR #32070