Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Forest Sprite

#1 in the industry. Semroc sets the bar, and then just keeps raising it. Think of it:
  • more than 80 kits currently in production (many more than even Estes produced at the peak of their glory years), all top quality, with more in the works
  • by far, the largest selection of parts available anywhere (all domestically produced, too)
  • world-class service
  • the fastest order fulfillment in the industry
  • state of the art web store
  • since its rebirth nearly a decade ago, one of the biggest supporters of the hobby
  • absolutely encyclopedic expertise regarding where the hobby has been, where it is now, and where it may be and should be heading
  • operated by truly great people who absolutely embody the principle of paying forward
Need I say more?

MK
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Mark II, your points all valid and just reinforce what a GREAT company Semroc is.
They truly SET THE BAR for all other model rocket companies.
Satisfy your CUSTOMERS (notice I did NOT say consumers) and you most likely will have them for life.
That is the best way to get the BEST source of VALID and BELIEVABLE advertising; word of mouth.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

While the last kit I bought was an Estes (OOP V2 Maxi-Brute), IIRC the two before that were Semrocs. At this stage in my life, I am really only interested in Semroc kits, and maybe a Rokitflite or two tossed in for good measure.

The only thing that I could suggest to make Semroc better (if such a thing were possible), is for them to print catalogs of their offerings once a year, like the old Estes/Centuri from the late 60's/70's. I think I would just look at it for hours and hours. I am not suggesting they do this, since it could be way more trouble than it is worth and could take important resources away from their core product (quality and service). But maybe just a .pdf file would be nice, like what Estes/Quest does now.

Greg
Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Which decal do you have? There were at least four versions of the Egg Crate. I am trying to get it as close to the 1971 catalog version as possible.

Carl-

You still looking for this? I've got a scan from several years ago (from someone....don't recall) that is a scan of an original Egg Crate decal (non-Enerjet, clustered 1971 version).

I can send you the jpg if you want. Just let me know.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Carl-

You still looking for this? I've got a scan from several years ago (from someone....don't recall) that is a scan of an original Egg Crate decal (non-Enerjet, clustered 1971 version).

I can send you the jpg if you want. Just let me know.

Earl
I sure am still interested!

Thanks,
Carl
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Master Modeler

FYI - the image link on the Egg Crate is broken.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I sure am still interested!

Thanks,
Carl

Carl-

See the attached. As I recall, the decals on the left ("Egg Crate") were printed on a white background and were 'oval' shape. If you kinda let your eye 'relax' as you look at those two decals, you can just about visualize a 'vertical' oval shape (in the form of an egg outline) around those two items (the curved lines above and below the words "Egg Crate" help to 'fill in' the shape of an egg somewhat).

This is a fairly low res scan, so I'm not sure what scale it would even print out at. Obviously, the roll pattern decal was made for the Centuri #16 tube, so one could fairly easily monkey around with this jpg image to form the basis of a very good start on what the actual decal looked like.

Seems like someone here on the forum several years ago had some photos of an Egg Crate fin with those 'egg' decals on them, but I could be wrong (that could have been from the Enerjet version...not sure).

Let me (us!) know how work progresses on this kit, if it's one you plan to release (seems like I recall it's one of those 'planned' kits). I would think this one would be very popular, but then maybe that's just me. I really, really wanted this kit as kid, but didn't have the dough at the time for the $4.50 price tag (as I recall). Got one now, still un-opened in the bag, but probably will not open it any time soon (if ever). I've built a complete clone out of entirely vintage Centuri parts (all the 'correct' Centuri parts too, down to the mylar shock cord attachment ring....and #16 to #20 paper reducer).

But I'd get a Semroc copy of this kit in a heartbeat!

Thanks,

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  EggCrate.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  75.4 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Apollo Nut

Carl-

Check this older thread to see photos of the 'egg' decals applied to some old Egg Crate fins (the older thread I mentioned above....did some searching and found it). They, in fact, were 'white' background decals.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=crate

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWmarlow
Hey gang,

I think Carl and Sheryl and the gang do so much for the hobby that we take them for granted, A few (several) years ago I spoke to an employee of Quest that told me "Semroc will never be a major player in the hobby"....I'm sure the sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the two big boys...but to us old rocket men..it feels like gold!

RM

PS I have started more than one young modeler on a Semroc beginners kit...the Rawhide and Hawk kits are a sturdy choice!
Heartily seconded! I just wish Semroc offered their (RDC) Rawhide kit (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-19 ) and their (3FNC) Semroc Swift kit (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-24 ) in educator bulk packs at a discount--they are both excellent beginners' rockets for schools, the Scouts, 4-H, etc. Nevertheless, when I'm "rich" again (ha! <GRIN>) at the end of this month when my next Alaska disability benefit payment arrives, I'm going to order quantities of both of these kits for the folks at the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre, for the model rocketry activities on their special event visitor days.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 09-05-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Master Modeler

About a year or two ago, Estes posted a PDF file on their website introducing the re-release of their Classic Series. Some of those rockets have made it to the shelves. A number of other classic Centuri and Estes are supposed to be on their way, kits that I can recall were Egg Crate, Blue Bird Zero, Odyssey, Mini Dactyl there were many others listed as well. Has anyone heard anymore news about these kits?