Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Craftsman

Default Hello from a new member

Hello all!
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeff, live in the Chicagoland area and got the model rocket bug. I've raided Hobby Lobby, Michaels and my LHS and now have a few rockets by Estes, Semroc and Quest. I have a plastic model (WW2 warbird) background but used to launch these suckers off during the early 1980's My things have changed though and am finding frustration as to were to launch. I've read every single park and forest preserve regulations and all say the same thing-No rockets! My Dad said that he saw a few in the local park but when I called and asked it was the same answer. Also, my LHS claims that my rockets are considered a scientific experiment and not considered dangerous. Argh! Anyway, take care and have a good eve, Jeff
Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Welcome to rocketry and to YORF! You're going to love both.

It *can* be frustrating trying to find a flying field. Our local parks, here in NH, do allow rockets but you need a permit (not hard to get, just leg work you have to do). I know of many areas where rocketry is not allowed. More often than not it is either a concern with respect to insurance and/or a concern of bothering other park guests.

If park options are locked out, you should look into your school district. As long as you are not impacting a sporting event you may find better luck there. There is a very good chance that your school is aware of rocketry and won't have any concerns with regard to safety.

NOTE: Having a rocketry program in your school is a BIG help. Also, being a NAR member, with the provided insurance, is also a BIG help.

Good luck and keep us posted!
jim

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Old BAR

Might I add to Jim's able advice by saying you should also consider befriending an owner(s) of some farmland near you. Most folks around here are usually amenable to limited rocket-launching activities, as long as it is not some large 'event,' and it does not impact any planting/harvesting activities. It never hurts to ask!
As long as you're not some 'gubbment revenooer...'
Allen
Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Craftsman

Welcome.
I agree with the above.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Reptilian Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspitza
Hello all!
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeff, live in the Chicagoland area and got the model rocket bug. I've raided Hobby Lobby, Michaels and my LHS and now have a few rockets by Estes, Semroc and Quest. I have a plastic model (WW2 warbird) background but used to launch these suckers off during the early 1980's My things have changed though and am finding frustration as to were to launch. I've read every single park and forest preserve regulations and all say the same thing-No rockets! My Dad said that he saw a few in the local park but when I called and asked it was the same answer. Also, my LHS claims that my rockets are considered a scientific experiment and not considered dangerous. Argh! Anyway, take care and have a good eve, Jeff

Fox Vallye Rocketeers, Illinois Rocketry Society and the Northern Illinois Rocketry Society might be close to you. Go to http://www.nar.org/NARseclist.php for more information.

Sam
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_midkiff
Illinois Rocketry Society

Why would anybody want to fly with the IRS?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Craftsman

Thanks guys!!!
I see I may have a few friendly neighbors to bake pies for.....
And many thanks for the links NAR links as I'll be sure to check these out. Take care, Jeff
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
BAR

Welcome Jeff! The most enjoyable way to find a field is to join a local club. In addition to the IL clubs, there is a great club just north of the border to give you even more launching opportunities!

wooshrocketry.org
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Craftsman

Thanks Paul!
I will probably be checking into a local club in this fall as our family schedule is really filling up fast! Its still April, right? Take care, Jeff
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Old Submariner

Hi Jeff. When I lived in Des Plaines, IL, my launching zone of choice was Busse Woods Park on Higgins Road in Schaumburg (across from Motorola.) I haven't been there in years, but the park used to have a pylon R/C racing airfield, a rocket field, competition control line rings, and some of the best kite flying in Illinois.

Jeff

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078