Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Very nice, right up my alley John. Er, maybe when you release it, you could have a future/fiction series pak with all 3 kits. Specially priced, of course.

-Paul

Thats an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that possibility!

John
--
John Dyer
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dyer
Thanks Craig!
For all others, the button he's talking about is under "additional Options"...

I'm attaching a foto of the next kit prototype. I showed it at NARCON and got
positive feedback from all the attendees that stopped by my tables. I'm going to try
to get the kit out for NSL, but it may take a bit longer. Keep in mind I haven't
designed the decals yet. It's basically a Space fighter/bomber type rocket. This kit
will be the third in my Future/Fiction series (along with Predator and Starliner
DST).

John
--
John Dyer
www.redriverrocketry.com

That's a nice looking model, John! I think the jet engines are what make it.

Btw, I met you at NARCON too, although I didn't actually introduce myself.

Here's a picture of Jay Goemmer and me (on the left) from another thread here:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...p=6559#post6559
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Old School Rocketeer

John,

welcome to YORF!

It was nice meeting you and seeing your display at NARCON. I was there with my little ones and gave the presentation on PowerPoint. As per your comment of keeping me away if I had a ruler and a camera, I wasn't kidding about not needing the ruler....

Anyways, I was also very intrigued by your design here. I have 2 questions;

1. Is that a string running along the body for a horizontal descent, ala Centuri SuperKits?

2. Speaking of Centuri, is that a cloned Raven/USS America nose cone up front I see?

Once again, welcome.

Later,
EV
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
That's a nice looking model, John! I think the jet engines are what make it.

Btw, I met you at NARCON too, although I didn't actually introduce myself.

Here's a picture of Jay Goemmer and me (on the left) from another thread here:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...p=6559#post6559

Yes, I remember you. It was great meeting you!

Thanks for the compliments. I hoipe to see you again soon - Perhaps at NSL, or NARAM????

John
Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
John,

welcome to YORF!

It was nice meeting you and seeing your display at NARCON. I was there with my little ones and gave the presentation on PowerPoint. As per your comment of keeping me away if I had a ruler and a camera, I wasn't kidding about not needing the ruler....

Anyways, I was also very intrigued by your design here. I have 2 questions;

1. Is that a string running along the body for a horizontal descent, ala Centuri SuperKits?

2. Speaking of Centuri, is that a cloned Raven/USS America nose cone up front I see?

Once again, welcome.

Later,
EV

Thanks!
Yes, thats a string or "lanyard" to help the model land flat. I have to figure out a better attach point at the rear - I have it looped around the motor clip. That sort of works, but I wouldn't want to sell a kit where the motor could pop out after ejection and the parachute opens.

The model is BT-50. I currently have a paper cockpit on top, so I can see the resemblence to the Rave/USS America. I've been trying to decide if a paper cockpit will work ok, or if I should go just with a decal for the cockpit.

John
---
John Dyer
www.redriverrocketry.com
Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 PM
BP Mafia

Fins go on tonight, paint and decals tomorrow, then hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll get to fly this on Sunday. From a weather standpoint, tomorrow looks hideous. Rain and snow mix with wind and temps around 40. Sunday should only be slightly warmer, but partly sunny. I'd post some pics, but when I went to take them, my camera batteries were dead. Those rechargable batteries aren't what they're cracked up to be, but I guess they've saved me a few bucks in the last year. I'll get pics tomorrow.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-26-2006, 07:52 PM
BP Mafia

As promised, some pics. I made my first post-fire foray to VOA today. It was CO-OLD and occasionally windy, but the flying made the trip worthwhile. I made three flights with the RRR Starliner DST. I started with an A8-3, a great small field choice. Perfect flight and recovery, so I stepped up to a B6-4 on the next flight.
This time the flight was okay, but the Mylar parachute failed to open on recovery. It hit tail first on the gravel, and I was sure there would be some damage, but to my surprise, even the shroud was fine. This did nothing to change my mind about Mylar. Hate it.
For the third flight I went with the C6-5, and the flight was quite a shock. It was never stable from the time it left the rod. It turned three or four complete loops before crashing hard into the ground in front of a group of panicked kids. It smoked through the coast phase, then fired its ejection charge. Expecting the worst, I approached the crash site, only to find everything still flightworthy. No damage at all. I can only guess that the added weight of the C6-5 was too much for the limited fin area. The kit card shows the C6-5 as a recommended motor, but I'd be hard pressed to go above a B again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RRR Starliner under construction.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  316.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RRR Starliner DST glamour shot.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  357.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Starliner ignition.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  328.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Starliner lift-off.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  332.6 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
For the third flight I went with the C6-5, and the flight was quite a shock. It was never stable from the time it left the rod. It turned three or four complete loops before crashing hard into the ground...

Bill,

Can you confirm some dimensions?

From the photo, I'm guessing this is a BT-50/BNC-50X design, about 17" long, with a 2" tailcone 2" long.

I whipped up a RKT file based on those dimensions, and fudged the fins to look close. That design should be stable with the C6-5, with a margin of 1.66. RocSim says such a design only needs about 22" of launch rod, and should have reached 1020'.

Perhaps the second flight weakened the shroud more than you realized. There might be a soft area where it hit, and that might have collapsed during the "C" flight, destabilizing the model.

See if the attached file is ballpark-close to the actual model...

BTW... Optimum "B" motor is actually the B4-4, not the B6-4. You'd get about 5 extra feet of altitude, and a Dv of 7 FPS (9 FPS with the B6...).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Starliner.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  30.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Starliner.rkt (54.3 KB, 59 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 03-26-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Bill,

From the photo, I'm guessing this is a BT-50/BNC-50X design, about 17" long, with a 2" tailcone 2" long.

I whipped up a RKT file based on those dimensions, and fudged the fins to look close. That design should be stable with the C6-5, with a margin of 1.66. RocSim says such a design only needs about 22" of launch rod, and should have reached 1020'.

Perhaps the second flight weakened the shroud more than you realized. There might be a soft area where it hit, and that might have collapsed during the "C" flight, destabilizing the model.

BTW... Optimum "B" motor is actually the B4-4, not the B6-4. You'd get about 5 extra feet of altitude, and a Dv of 7 FPS (9 FPS with the B6...).

17" seems a little long. Otherwise it's pretty close. I'll check the Red River site to see if they have the length listed.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-26-2006, 10:30 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Bill,

15" is the actual size. I'll check the shroud when I get home in the morning, but I checked it pretty closely at the field. it was treated with thin CA, so it was fairly rigid.

I miss being SAM 0058