Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
slave to the wind

99% of my problems are just not knowing how to work with stuff.

I tried covering a fin, and it looked ok, but I probably should have filled the grain more even after sanding. I chose to use their Chrome which of course shows up every little imperfection. But, overall, it looked pretty good. The Gemini DC uses TTW mounting so I thought that I would have glue on Fin to Motor mount.

Next I covered the main body tube and carefully slice out the fin slots and the ejection holes.

Now the problems. I glued the covered fin to the body, or tried to, and first the fin wouldn't fit in the slot (too tight) and then wouldn't fit all the way inside so the fin wasn't flush with the body tube. After some trimming, I got it fitting good so put some glue on and inserted it.

What glue do you think sticks to this coating? I surely couldn't tell you, at least not at 2:30 in the morning. And what would you use to make fillets with between two chrome parts? Another question that I came up with in the wee hours of the morning.

On top of all that, I forgot that the side tubes need to be glued to the main body.

I chose not to cover the other fins before gluing and will use a pattern and cut to fit with a slight overlap covering the fillets that I ended up making out of plastic cement. White glue is used for the balsa to paper connection.

Since I haven't covered the side tubes yet, I think I will leave bare paper where the glue will go, glue with plastic cement, then cover the side tubes after they are in place.

Either way, I totally learned what not to do. I shouldn't have started with Chrome (I bought two rolls and one is going back but I will be a good customer and take an exchange for another color). Chrome should be used by those more familiar with the product, and definitely on very smooth surfaces. It scratches easily, and any glue that gets away from you could ruin the finish. White glue can be scratched/rubbed off, but plastic cement will leave a spot that won't come out. On hindsight, I should have assembled the rocket, coated it with clear (or a bunch more sanding on the fins and filled the spirals) and layed the Kote down in pieces after everything was dry.

One last thing, I did notice that the main body tube of this particular kit (and one side tube) are very poor quality. The spirals are pretty wide (even compared to other Estes kits). I noticed a bit more flexibility, even softness of tube as I wrapped it. It was almost like the tube was damp. I may table this project until I contact Estes and see if they might consider replacing the tubes with a tighter spiral or better quality tube. I should have taken it back before I started doing anything with it, but more experience on my part would have stopped me from even taking the kit off the shelf in the first place.

I'll figure it out.

In a nutshell, the UltraKote brand did work exactly as the MonoKote was described, cut well, and was easy to pick up off the balsa and reposition, but stuck quick after one rub on the body tube. I will use it for insignia and decoration, but covering body tubes should be taken on after some practice. Thankfully I had at least some guidance before attempting, or this would have been a total loss.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
Now the problems. I glued the covered fin to the body, or tried to, and first the fin wouldn't fit in the slot (too tight) and then wouldn't fit all the way inside so the fin wasn't flush with the body tube. After some trimming, I got it fitting good so put some glue on and inserted it.

What glue do you think sticks to this coating? I surely couldn't tell you, at least not at 2:30 in the morning. And what would you use to make fillets with between two chrome parts? Another question that I came up with in the wee hours of the morning.

On top of all that, I forgot that the side tubes need to be glued to the main body.

I chose not to cover the other fins before gluing and will use a pattern and cut to fit with a slight overlap covering the fillets that I ended up making out of plastic cement.

BG

I don't think you will find an adhesive that will adhere well to the slick surface of the MonoKote and I have never tried to fillet over it for that reason. I have never tried to cover the fins first and then attach them to the rocket.

If you notice in the images I posted I used a black color base coat on a completed rocket and cut the MonoKote just slightly smaller on all sides so it sits centered inside the fin area and that leaves a small black border all around the colored MonoKote. On the ARG SR1720 prototype rocket in one of the links I only painted the fins and the nose cone, and then I covered the rest of the (unpainted) airframe & payload section in MonoKote. I cut small strips of black and put those between the fins. As far as seams look at the payload section and you can see a small horizontal seam on the silver if you look close:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=1847

I would practice with it. Don't worry if your first attempt wasn't perfect, I wouldn't expect it to be

Cut a few strips 1/4" wide or 1/2" wide and make bands for some of your other rockets. Cover a payload section in chrome or black with chrome bands or try a vertical stripe. Just like I ruin waterslide decals every now and then, I get an air bubble or misalign some of this stuff too

For the most part I really like using it though .....
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
slave to the wind

Luckily, I only did the one fin. I glued the other fins with white glue on the wood to paper connections, and used plastic cement on the wood to monokote connection. Seems to be holding tight. I came back around and cut from the fin pattern plus 1/8" to cover glue/fillet.

Looks really good with the exception of the bad spirals (now barely noticeable) and the small bubbles from the unfinished fins. I actually used a permanent marker to "paint" the exposed edges of the fins blue.

I covered the side tubes ahead of time instead of gluing them down first then covering them. I glued the exhaust channels with white, then used plastic cement to connect them to the main tube. That was this morning, and tonite when I got home they seemed really solid. I pulled on them and felt no give. I might take some 1/4" strips and "fillet" the side tubes to the main body, just for assurances. The seams that I have created so far are barely noticeable. Starting to like the stuff. Still shouldn't have started with Chrome, but in for a penny.

On a side note, I got my big package from Carl today. The quality of the parts is outstanding! I made a couple of weird choices that I don't remember why I wanted it, and I wish I had added the X-21 to it. Bought a nose cone and body tube (that don't go together) and I can't remember what I had in mind. Obviously I need them for something, so I just started another order with other things I think I might need, and the X-21. After Sunday's outing, I have more than a few repairs to make.

Oh, and then there was the free kit. Wasn't really interested in it since it is a Skill 1, and a simple rocket. But after Sunday and seeing the kit today, I am fairly excited to build it with HannahMonster. Skill 1 with Semroc is more challenging than Skill 1 Estes, and the parts are better (IMHO). I hope this doesn't come out sounding wrong. I mean this with the greatest respect. I might just have to try a few more of his kits. I have been sort of jaded about kits lately since all that has been available to me comes from Michael's.

Thanks Carl!

Now, what was I going to do with this nosecone....