Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Master Modeler

Default Do low production numbers really make kits more valuable?

I just received an order from Semroc today containing Start #7, mini Aero Dart #12 and mini Hustler #17. I didn't order them to collect but to build.... is there a compelling reason not to build 'em and order others?

Just curious.

FWIW, Odd'l Rockets Squatty Body #20 is built and will likely fly for the first time in the morning.

(added: it turns out the Start kit I have is #9....ooooops )
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 08-15-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: correcting a faulty memory.....
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
At mad scientist basement

Unless you are willing to wait 30-50 years and hope no one else saved their low number kit and there is a demand for it, OR unless you want to, nope.
www.sunwardhobbies.ca
info@sunward1.com
CAR S573 L2 TRA 11312 L1 NAR 87131
www.facebook.com/sunwardrockets
Old 08-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Angelo. That's actually kind of what I had figured....but I thought I'd ask. It'll be interesting to see if others have a different idea.

I might manage to last 30 years more and still remember I have 'em. Not likely to make 50 (I'm 55 now).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default I have START #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I just received an order from Semroc today containing Start #7, mini Aero Dart #12 and mini Hustler #17. I didn't order them to collect but to build.... is there a compelling reason not to build 'em and order others?

Just curious.

FWIW, Odd'l Rockets Squatty Body #20 is built and will likely fly for the first time in the morning.

Guess what?? I have a START kit and it's production number is "7"
Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Let me know how the Squatty Body launch goes!
I should be flying #0000 (prototype #4) again today at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, FL.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Just curious.

Hey, I finally get to use my economics degree for something !

What a low number is worth depends on supply and demand. The supply is pretty fixed/limited by the numbers. In fact, if you truly have a #7 (I kind of doubt it based upon having ordered it during/after NARAM), duplicated with Crocodile's #7, then you've got a really rare beast--a Semroc goof!

On the demand side, I'm not aware of much evidence of anyone actually trying to sell, so it's very hard to say. There are numerous cases where a Flis #1 will sell for 3x-6x retail, but a #1 is very different than a low number. With Semroc, the only market evidence I've seen is with the Tau Zero, where Semroc sold starting with higher numbers (26 and up) and the designer got to sell the lower numbers directly, starting out at about 2x the price but quickly dropping to 1.25-1.5x the price for lack of sales.

As a collector myself, I say go ahead and build it , cutting one out of the supply side of the market.

Seriously, though, I don't think there's ANY chance of a quick buck in the rocketry collectibles market, though if you have issues with getting around to building like many of us in the forum, at least with a low number there's a better chance if you want to sell it in 5 years you'll at least get full price for it as opposed to dumping at 25-50% off retail. About the only short term profit you could eke out would be to trade with another collector, maybe swapping a single digit version for a regular kit plus a 10-20% premium, in which case shipping and transaction costs probably wipe out the profit.

I'll put my theory to test in a few weeks, though. At NARAM, I picked up a numbered edition of Estes Saturn V. Had to pay full retail at $99, versus buying online at about $70, but it's #11 of 50. I'm hoping to sell that for at least a smidgen of profit, which I'd already spent on a couple of their special NARAM-edition Satellite Interceptors.

--Chan Stevens
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Master Modeler

Hmmmmm......duplicate production numbers? Well that could be like the inverted Jenny stamp. Nah!

I wasn't thinking in terms of a quick profit at all...I was just surprised at the low numbers (order put in as they returned from NARAM) and wondered if there was much justification for holding these for some time (though I wasn't thinking in terms of 30-50 years certainly). Point taken about perhaps being able to resell for a smaller loss if I never get the requisite round tuits - which is certainly a possibility.

The answers are about what I expected, but then I've only been back in the the rocket game for less than two years and have never been a collector, per se, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Hey, I finally get to use my economics degree for something !

--Chan Stevens

Cool, Chan! What were the odds of *that* happening!?!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

We have been working on a project to try to locate some of our early production numbers. We consider them missing. The idea is to let the server randomly pick a model and serial number and post it for a week. If the number is located built with a serial tag, we will offer a $25 gift certificate and if it is unbuilt, we will offer $50 gift certificate as bounty for locating the missing rocket. (Kit does not have to be returned, just a photo will be required.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We have been working on a project to try to locate some of our early production numbers. We consider them missing. The idea is to let the server randomly pick a model and serial number and post it for a week. If the number is located built with a serial tag, we will offer a $25 gift certificate and if it is unbuilt, we will offer $50 gift certificate as bounty for locating the missing rocket. (Kit does not have to be returned, just a photo will be required.

Cool Idea.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com