Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart
Thanks. I'd love to hear more about CD, as well. Didn't USR take over ACS-Reaction Labs motors?

There is a nexus of companies in CA which have manufacturing in several places around the country that have at some point certified or tried to have certified motors it was already making and selling.

They are all owned by different folks and there have been a purchase and sale of each and every one as far as I can tell.

That includes USR, CD#1-4, ACS, and others.

USR does not "own" any motor facilities, but merely rebrands any motors that might be available and made to their specs. Several attempts to certify or recertify motors have been rejected by TRA.

Ownership is intentionally vague and opaque. Especially to the disinterested and the idlely curious, since they are not certified for TRA/NAR member use. 3500 people worldwide.

There are too many CD's

Composite Dynamics
#1 Kerry Hoffman
#2 John Davis (Gary worked for/with him)
#3 Jerry Irvine

Composite Distribution
Jerry Irvine

Jerry
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
AMROCS resold RSC motors. I don't know if RSC actually made their own motors either.

BoMar never got their motor production off the ground (they weren't around very long either. I built a couple of their kits when I was a wee lad).

I thought Amrocs WAS RSC - when you sent your quarter to RSC you got back an Amrocs catalog. I had heard that RSC motors were made by Estes, can't prove that I never bought one.

BoMar Development - wasn't that Tag Powell? What a talker!

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Tag Powell owned Space Age Industries.

Don't know who owned BoMar, but I have a catalog at home. Maybe some old Model Rocketry magazines hold the answers in the news from manufacturers sections.

Chas
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

Don't know who owned BoMar, but I have a catalog at home. Maybe some old Model Rocketry magazines hold the answers in the news from manufacturers sections.

Chas

SAI - I forgot about that one. I remember Tag was a BIG talker from a tiny company

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
AMROCS resold RSC motors. I don't know if RSC actually made their own motors either.

BoMar never got their motor production off the ground (they weren't around very long either. I built a couple of their kits when I was a wee lad).
Thank you for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I'm not surprised that AMROCS didn't produce their own motors, nor am I surprised that BoMar's motors never reached production.

My impression is that as the Moon landing came closer and public interest in rocketry & space flight reached its zenith in the late 1960s, other entrepreneurial people saw Centuri's and Estes' wild financial success and jumped on the model rocketry bandwagon. Unfortunately for them, they (like people who jump into buying stocks at the apex of a "bull" market) got in just before the slump in public interest and model rocket sales began. Since the "Wernhers-come-lately" had relatively little market penetration and were little-known even within the hobby, they were unable to weather the slump as the larger companies such as Centuri and Estes did.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

I remember SAI...tried to order a Falcon scale model from Spacemaster Enterprises and it was on backorder. Did they ever release that kit?

Bill
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

We had a wide variety of SAI kits in stock at the Claremont Rocket Society in the 70's. Hardwood nose cones.

I also seem to recall using an extraordinary number of MPC "Moon Go's" for public rocket demonstrations.

Jerry
Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
It's still not ready, but I have the basic structure up and a few photos. I'll add company and motor info over the next few weeks.

I'm always looking for more photos and more info.

Site is at www.jdwindsor.info

I live a couple miles from Jim (DPS). What info are you looking for?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
SAI - I forgot about that one. I remember Tag was a BIG talker from a tiny company

The Tempest Fugit was a real hot performer. Geeze, imagine a D10 in it, or an old D3 long burn. Of course you'd have to plan for the "hibachi effect" when the ejection charge goes off.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Thank you for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I'm not surprised that AMROCS didn't produce their own motors, nor am I surprised that BoMar's motors never reached production.

My impression is that as the Moon landing came closer and public interest in rocketry & space flight reached its zenith in the late 1960s, other entrepreneurial people saw Centuri's and Estes' wild financial success and jumped on the model rocketry bandwagon. Unfortunately for them, they (like people who jump into buying stocks at the apex of a "bull" market) got in just before the slump in public interest and model rocket sales began. Since the "Wernhers-come-lately" had relatively little market penetration and were little-known even within the hobby, they were unable to weather the slump as the larger companies such as Centuri and Estes did.

essentially true. By the Mon landing in July 1969 Estes and (to a lesser extent Centuri) had outlived most if not all competitors; and those that came after 7/69 came with too little and way too late.

If it had not been for Estes (actually Vern Estes) agreeing to supply Centuri with re-labled Estes rocket engines between 62-69, Centuri would also have probably bit the dust by then.

And the only reason that was done, was that Vern was a smart businessman: he had over capacity with his Mabel up unto approx 69 when Centuri was then forced to build its own Mabels, only to be absorbed by Estes in the 70's.

Terry Dean